Stromer Service and/or advice needed.

wendell22

Hi, I purchased a 2017 Stromer ST1X, I did not get a key or charger, long story. When I reached Stromer by phone they told me I had to go through a dealer, which I have. I contacted a Stromer Dealer, All Wheel Bike in Bethesda MD. The tech has the same bike, and assisted with getting me a charger and clean history from Stromer. Got the bike charged and it ran great. Only had 160 miles on it. I put about 500 miles on it in 3 weeks. I went for a ride a couple of days ago, it was the first hot day. Came back home, plugged in the charger, a few hours later came back out and the bike ran, but only feels like 1/2 power. I did a reset on the controller and also tried a manual reset of the torque and regrenative brakes. No luck it just feels like a very minor boost as opposed to how it previously felt. I've been in touch with my mechanic at the Stromer dealer and he said he is waiting to hear back on my key....It's been over a month with no response. I spoke with him the other day, and all I got is he is waiting to hear back from Stromer, but has no idea when or even if they will be able to assist with a key, due to the limited number of people who are Stromer employees.. It's one of those round keys and I already had a locksmith look at it and he said it is some sort of special size lock that he was unable to pick with his tools. So the first problem is getting a key to open the battery compartment , then diagnose the issue. And the second problem is the 1/2 power? I've got a 12v test lite and a multimeter. Not especially experienced in electrical repair or diagnoses, but certainly willing to get into it. I just don't have a real starting point. I asked the mechanic about the issue and of course, well without seeing it type of thing. I understand that. The dealer is like 300 miles away. It's this especially slow or no response time that makes me question any long term ownership of this bike. It's a great riding bike, super solid, I really like it, and fast. It's summer now, just bought a second eBike for Mrs. so we could ride together. So, if you've read this far, you can most likely feel my frustration. I'm sure once straightened out the bikes not going to be problematic. But really hate not riding, as I am out of work now, pretty bored. At this point I'm wondering about just drilling out the lock and getting some aftermarket components. Yes, I've tried to call again and left many messages, and email Stromer, several times and no response from them. Any type of input or suggestions, or anything would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200522_133932.jpg
    20200522_133932.jpg
    536.5 KB · Views: 500
I can feel your frustration on getting any form of help from Stromer. I had a Stromer ST1 Platinum with power issues also ....took them 3 months to finally say to me ...we can't fix it....but if you wait long enough and go through all the channels ....in time ...at least for me.....they sent me a brand new Stromer with the city kit included which I didn't even have on the previous Stromer e-bike. Seems Stromer lacks fast customer service when it comes to having any problems or issues solved unless you wear them down over time to get anything fixed or replaced. I wish you the best luck on your issues and yes I too love the Stromer e-bike fast ride when it works.

s

Got a response from Stromer, emailed back to me and I called them. I have to go through the dealer to get a key. Told him I'd been waiting a long time and he said, there has not even been anything submitted to start the process of getting a key. The gentleman from STROMER, was like WHAT? I had to explain it to him a second time. He then said, I will call the dealer immediately and get this straightened out. He further told me that we can do some sort of factory reset, from a service menu. So, I'm hoping to hear back today. Wish me luck.

Hi, I purchased a 2017 Stromer ST1X, I did not get a key or charger, long story.

No charger, no battery compartment key, no OMNI access?

The typical profile of as stolen Stromer...

But with the VIN, myStromer AG can check if you're the authorized owner. The serial of the EMKA key is stored in their database. With this, you may order a set of new keys.

Hello Wendell! I feel your frustration. When I got my St-2 in 2016, the Stromer USA office had two people who were very responsive to phone and email. I contacted them several times, and they were great. Then maybe a year or so ago, Stromer "moved offices" and then these two people no longer worked there. Now we're told to contact the dealer.

I do wonder if Stromer initially saw a huge market in the US but then, when return on investment didn't materialize due to the lack of biking culture in the US, Stromer downsized their US operation. This is my speculation, but I find it odd that one can buy an ebike for 5-10k and not have premium service from Stromer.

I sometimes experience a reduction of power with my St-2, usually after riding it for 20 min or so. I'm not sure it's half power like yours, but it'll go from very peppy assist getting me to 28 mph easily to all of a sudden I'm working to maintain 25 mph.

I've read the motor throttles when the motor temp gets high. I've checked the motor temp with the Omni app, and sometimes it gets up to the 130s Farenheit. Maybe that's high enough to throttle. Also, I think the power output is reduced when the battery gets low, like under 20%.

I'm not sure high temp and low batt account for all instances of reduced power for my bike, but the next day, it's good again. Is yours good a day or two later? I would suggest not charging the battery while it's still hot from use and not going for a ride just after charging when the battery is still warm.

How did you reset the controller? I'm curious. Maybe I'll try that next time mine throttles.

Here's my experience with repairing a Stromer ST2s, it took a very long time to get it resolved.

It all started out with a simple flat rear tire. As a former professional motorcycle mechanic, I have no problems with flats, so I was able to pull the rear and be very careful with the wires to the hub, put in a new tube. The bike would not power up afterwards and I went and took it all apart, checked carefully and re-assembled. What I didn't do and probably should have, was remove the battery before doing the work. What a good friend of mine who is an electrical expert told me that even switched off, the battery has residual power to the computer and when I disconnected/reconnected the wire from the hub, it probably spiked the computer and fried it. I tried many, many calls to Stromer in California, and several emails for a couple of months, they did not respond to me via voice mail or email.

I first took it to Conte's bike shop in Falls Church VA where they assured me they had the talent to fix it and were a Stromer dealer. They parked it for four months, they had no clue how to fix it. I picked it up and then took it to Big Wheel Bikes in Arlington VA where they said they could repair it under warranty as a Stromer Dealer. It sat there another three months, then was moved to their Bethesda MD store where their only guy who knew to work on them was moved up to Store Manager. He tried to repair, but could not, and eventually gave up and packed it up to sent the bike to the California Distributor. It came back two months later, and had a new computer and headlight installed. There was no charge, all done under warranty.

Total time from the flat tire to again operational : 10 months.

For a bike that cost $ 7,000, this was ridiculous. For the Distributor to refuse to respond to me is unprofessional. To have untrained dealer staff who cannot repair the bikes shows how complex they are. This should not be a crappy company, they have (or had) money behind them however I feel they have basically abandoned the brand in the USA. I certainly would never buy one again.

I bought from Conte and they quit being a Stromer dealer, had major issues , tried to get my money back, 3 managers later I moved and still had this lemon. Just broke again last week , no where to get repaired here in Ga.. I think I saw your bike there . Not sure who is worse Conte or Stromer, Stromer was ok before the move when they had 3 friendly people staffing the site.

Sell while working IMHO...

I'm glad i never bought one.

Did test them, the finance is not an issue, i just listened and payed great attention when one of the junior salesman back then, in sept. 2018, said "we have many customers who are bringing them back for repairs".
Then in oct. , after the BH purchase , my EBR online experience started , and i noticed and learned that those stories were accurately true.

In a parallel dream world , i do enjoy riding an ST-5, but wake up suddenly from a nightmare where i am 60miles from home with a 70lb analog bike that also happens to have a motor that stopped working. Yes, i know i could call AAA but wether in a dream or in reality, it should be a flawless trip.

Here's my experience with repairing a Stromer ST2s, it took a very long time to get it resolved.

It all started out with a simple flat rear tire. As a former professional motorcycle mechanic, I have no problems with flats, so I was able to pull the rear and be very careful with the wires to the hub, put in a new tube. The bike would not power up afterwards and I went and took it all apart, checked carefully and re-assembled. What I didn't do and probably should have, was remove the battery before doing the work. What a good friend of mine who is an electrical expert told me that even switched off, the battery has residual power to the computer and when I disconnected/reconnected the wire from the hub, it probably spiked the computer and fried it. I tried many, many calls to Stromer in California, and several emails for a couple of months, they did not respond to me via voice mail or email.

I first took it to Conte's bike shop in Falls Church VA where they assured me they had the talent to fix it and were a Stromer dealer. They parked it for four months, they had no clue how to fix it. I picked it up and then took it to Big Wheel Bikes in Arlington VA where they said they could repair it under warranty as a Stromer Dealer. It sat there another three months, then was moved to their Bethesda MD store where their only guy who knew to work on them was moved up to Store Manager. He tried to repair, but could not, and eventually gave up and packed it up to sent the bike to the California Distributor. It came back two months later, and had a new computer and headlight installed. There was no charge, all done under warranty.

Total time from the flat tire to again operational : 10 months.

For a bike that cost $ 7,000, this was ridiculous. For the Distributor to refuse to respond to me is unprofessional. To have untrained dealer staff who cannot repair the bikes shows how complex they are. This should not be a crappy company, they have (or had) money behind them however I feel they have basically abandoned the brand in the USA. I certainly would never buy one again.

I thought that you risk jeopardizing any warranty if you do the electric repair yourself. if so, then stromer still backed you up even if you voided the warranty.

Do you know an email or contact to reach Stromer USA ?
Dan Delehanty is the General Manager North America, Brian Van Pelt is Director Of Sales - but I expect none of them would answer. Try to ask Brett Thurber, he might know more.

I was wondering if you guys recommend Stromer. I currently have a Mangum navigator but having issues with broken spokes -- 4 in 3 months and 900 miles. Because if this issue, I was telling my LBS that I was thinking of getting a different bike. He strongly recommended Stromer ST1, but it is quite a bit more than my current bike. It seems like there has not been good support from Stromer? Have people had major issues? My commute is 11 miles each way - and in NYC the roads aren't exactly the smoothest. Thanks for your input.

is the shop close to you? tell them you want buy a bike from them and want to see them as little as possible , which bike would they want to sell you? If they don’t say Stromer ask why? Will you get a loaner if your bike is in the shop and will they loan you enough batteries as you need to make the loaner fully functional while you are waiting for repairs (parts).

For me Stromer has become like a fancy boat, great , really great to ride as long as your friend/neighbor owns it and takes care of it.

No charger, no battery compartment key, no OMNI access?

The typical profile of as stolen Stromer...

But with the VIN, myStromer AG can check if you're the authorized owner. The serial of the EMKA key is stored in their database. With this, you may order a set of new keys.
Nice , I’m glad you called him out on it , clearly a thief.

Back