Stromer recalling ST5s over safety concerns

stem can break and Stromer US is recalling 195 of them.

First of all: myStromer AG has contacted all affected owners personally.

For those who are not familiar with the ST5: This bike has a unique construction. Stem and handlebars are one piece. You'll found a bunch of pictures in the ST5 section of this forum. You'll also found further and more detailed information on the Swiss stromerforum. This is in german and translation might sometimes misleading. AFAIK, the issue came up among a routine check at a dealer - and until now, all checked equipment passed the test. From my point of view, the ST5 is safe. I'm riding a checked ST5 at the time and i do it with full speed - as it should be done with such a bike.

First of all: myStromer AG has contacted all affected owners personally.

For those who are not familiar with the ST5: This bike has a unique construction. Stem and handlebars are one piece. You'll found a bunch of pictures in the ST5 section of this forum. You'll also found further and more detailed information on the Swiss stromerforum. This is in german and translation might sometimes misleading. AFAIK, the issue came up among a routine check at a dealer - and until now, all checked equipment passed the test. From my point of view, the ST5 is safe. I'm riding a checked ST5 at the time and i do it with full speed - as it should be done with such a bike.

I’m surprised you would offer “safe” point of view. Stem breaking is similar to their carbon fork breaking/recall on ST1 in that it could be deadly.
I’ve owned four Stromers and have yet to ride one with Carbon forks(always made it easy to purchase suspension forks).
Not that it means anything, but my point of view is I wouldn’t ride it around the block without somehow knowing stem was not going to break.
I’m sure it will get squared away, too bad you can’t just buy a stronger one on amazon. Downside of proprietary simple parts.

I’m surprised you would offer “safe” point of view.

I presume, you've read in the meantime my detailed description of the purpose and the setup of the new ST5-test.

With this outcome in your mind, could you imagine any situation of a ST5 usage, in which an incident based on a broken stem could happen?

(I tried to do so, here my suggestion: Riding home with full speed into the garage - but the garage door was still closed.)

Attachments

• Viola Brand Artist.jpg
    Viola Brand Artist.jpg
    417.7 KB · Views: 933
No, I guess I hsve not read your detailed description .........
But, not like yourself, I confidently buzz around mid twenty’s mph without a thought. I’ve always thought Stromers feel totally comfortable at those speeds and why I continue buying them. Always in the back of my mind I know if I crash at those speeds I will likely get injured. But that has to do with skill, confidence, and luck. I gamble on that. With Stem or fork breaking, that removes my abilities, and puts it on mfg. to provide bike it always has for me. If I owned a 5, and they notified me of possible defect- I would listen and adhere to their advise. That’s all.

Back