Stromer goes to the mountains.

bluecat

Some time ago, I've already wrote about this, but it seems my text is disappeared.

Thömus Veloshop is where the Stromer was invented. This tells us: They have some experience with electric bicycles. Over the years, the "off road" capability was requested from time to time. A few installed suspension forks and rough tires - but now the ultimate answer is here:

The Thömus Lightrider E1

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Please find more pictures here:

And more information here:

Some time ago, I've already wrote about this, but it seems my text is disappeared.

Thömus Veloshop is where the Stromer was invented. This tells us: They have some experience with electric bicycles. Over the years, the "off road" capability was requested from time to time. A few installed suspension forks and rough tires - but now the ultimate answer is here:

The Thömus Lightrider E1

Please find more pictures here:

And more information here:

I like the look of the bike. It looks really high-end, too! I'm wondering how Thömus plans to really differentiate this bike from its formidable competition, though. Why would someone buy this bike instead of a Haibike, a Rotwild, a Cube, or a Specialized Turbo Levo?

The Stromer looks like a mid drive Brose, like the Levo, but with 500Wh. Looks good. Nicely done.

Price differentiation vs the top tier S Works Levo is compelling. The top tier Stromer is lighter, with better specs, and lower price. That has my attention. The question for me is ride and reliability. I'm in the market for an e-MTB now. I'm renting an Expert Levo this weekend for evaluation. I'll contact my local Stromer dealer about the Lightrider.

First of, this is not a Stromer and the founder of Stromer, Thomas Bingelli is not the CEO anymore. He may still be involved but he is not actively engaged in the day to day operations.
Second, this is a Shimano Steps drive.
I have heard good things about it but yet to be proven in real life conditions.

BULLS_E-Core_Di2_FS_27-5_Plus_16-9-jpg

@Ravi Kempaiah Why the Bulls photo? That is another e-Mtb I'm actively looking at, but there isn't much info stateside.

Actually, BULLS was one of the first companies to start using Shimano's E8000 system.
I expected a man like Thomus to come up with something more innovative than just designing a frame around Shimano or Bosch drive systems.
Also, you won't see this thomus literider in the USA anytime soon. While it is a nice bike, I don't know how they would differentiate from others using a the same drive system.

May be a carbon frame at 44lbs or XTR Di2 or some exotic components... we'll have to see. Nevertheless, it is a beautiful bike.

First of, this is not a Stromer and the founder of Stromer, Thomas Bingelli is not the CEO anymore. He may still be involved but he is not actively engaged in the day to day operations.

Correct.

Thomas "Thömus" Binggeli is the chairman of the board from BMC Switzerland AG. The myStromer AG is a subsidiary of BMC. And he is Co-owner of BMC. But in terms of the Lightrider E1 more important: He is the owner of Thömus Veloshop. With this in mind, you'll not be surprised, that BMC presented a e-MTB prototype with Shimano Steps at the Eurobike...

How divide from competitors?

Designed by Magnus Almgren (who made the first Stromer), the Lightrider is well shaped and tidy. But I expect, the personalized fine-adjustment of the components AND of the motor settings will make the difference. Thömus Veloshop is a very small company, but able and willing to fulfil the most wishes of their customers. This was also true in the beginning of the Stromer - era, e.g. individual color or personal firmware settings. With other words: Whilst Stromer is shifted towards mass production (like all others), Thömus Veloshop does the opposite.

Check this: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) and choose the red button "Konfigurieren".

Will the Lightrider E1 be sold in the US?

No. Or more precisely: I can't believe. But I've learned, there are Stromer in Norway - far away from any salespoint...

Innovation?

Similar to the first Stromer, who was built around a Ultra Motor and controlled by a firmware with legacy from BionX, the Lightrider E1 has a core form the stock. I expect, the integration of the Shimano Steps - with or without Di2 - is the tough part. OK, the carbon frame, which brings the total weight below 20kg is also fine.

Back