Stromer goes to the mountains.

bluecat

Thömus Veloshop, the company where the Stromer was founded, presents their latest prototype:

thoemus-e-mountainbike.jpg

The values will be as follows:

75NM
500Wh
27½"
130/150mm
Di2 optional
<20kg
>5.5kCHF

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

(Thömus removed the pics from the website; therefore some replacements. http://www.thoemus.ch)

Last edited:
No details are given, speculations going among the usual suspects: Brose and Bosch.

But everything shall be controlled with a smartphone - connected by Bluetooth...

No details are given, speculations going among the usual suspects: Brose and Bosch.

But everything shall be controlled with a smartphone - connected by Bluetooth...

We all want Bluetooth, as it was mentioned in the beginning of the ST2 but never saw something in the Blue?

I don't think they will use Brose or Bosch. I don't think they'll use anything out on the market; albeit something of their own proprietary creation. A stromer mid-drive.

With that gearing, unless you are going to be riding it off a cliff, then it clearly isn't a Bosch motor.

The downtube is too big and chunky for it to appeal to me.

I heard that (not confirmed!) it's a Bosch CX drive optimized for this bike setup.

It's not April 01st yet!

Assuming that is a 42 fitted to the front, then you are saying that the bike will be running a standard equivalent of a 105T chain set. I hardly think so.

Think about the battery as well. That is going to be quite some hideous affair from the other side of the bike. It's going to require either a clip on or screw on panel to hide it, and it would be interesting to see how you would ever install and remove it.

Unless intentional disguised, that is not a Bosch system.

Last edited:
It's not April 01st yet!

Assuming that is a 42 fitted to the front, then you are saying that the bike will be running a standard equivalent of a 105T chain set. I hardly think so.

Think about the battery as well. That is going to be quite some hideous affair from the other side of the bike. It's going to require either a clip on or screw on panel to hide it, and it would be interesting to see how you would ever install and remove it.

Unless intentional disguised, that is not a Bosch system.

Not all Bosch drives have to have the tiny chairing. Have you seen the Gen 1 inverted engines with large chaining?

You could always change the reduction gears inside to adjust the gearing ratio. Same with the battery. May be they deigned it to look slim so as to maintain the cross sectional width of the frame and blend in.
Most manufacturers use the Bosch system as it is. Therefore the term "Bosch syndrome" has come into existence. They just purchase and use their system as it is to get the subsidy and keep the costs low.

As I said earlier, it's not confirmed but it could easily be the Bosch CX drive with a bit of customization.

Last edited:
You stated CX drive not Gen 1.

So are you really saying the Stromer are going to take a CX motor, take it apart and machine it in order to fit Gen 1 parts, so making their own motor that would no longer be covered by any form of Bosch warranty, or indeed even be a Bosch recognized motor. Somehow I don't see Bosch going for that, do you?

It certainly sounds like a viable and sensible plan, to cannibalise two motors to get one from it.

I also stand by comment in relation to the battery and battery mount.

I guess that time will tell, but whatever they decide, in it's current guise I certainly wouldn't be rushing out to buy one. It's far too slab sided and bulky for my taste and off road use.

Last edited:
You stated CX drive not Gen 1.

So are you really saying the Stromer are going to take a CX motor, take it apart and machine it in order to fit Gen 1 parts, so making their own motor that would no longer be covered by any form of Bosch warranty, or indeed even be a Bosch recognized motor. Somehow I don't see Bosch going for that, do you?

It certainly sounds like a viable and sensible plan, to cannibalise two motors to get one from it.

I also stand by comment in relation to the battery and battery mount.

Any manufacturer can work with Bosch to customize their drive systems and still get full warranty. In the USA, Bosch has appointed Magura to handle all the warranty.

There are lots of possibilities.

I didn't say you have to use Gen 1 system. I used it as an example to make a point that not all Bosch drive systems need to have a tiny chairing.

You're speaking as if you're a Bosch expert and I'm speaking as if I represent Stromer. Neither of which is true.

So, let's wait for the full spec to come out from them. No point in discussing and speculating what is what.

Any manufacturer can work with Bosch to customize their drive systems and still get full warranty.

Ravi, that is a very bold and concise claim to make. Do you have any documental and practical evidence to support this claim? I'd genuinely be interested to read which cycle manufacturer has modified the motor for their requirements, as I can't think of any. I also don't mean by simply turning the motor, changing the outer plastic cases, adding a frame mounted jockey wheel, or altering the motor mount positioning, none of which are modifying the motor.

In the USA, Bosch has appointed Magura to handle all the warranty.

Surely you don't believe that either company are going to honour a warranty on an internally modified motor? Think about it, even dongles aren't permitted. Unless there is a new CX motor in the pipe line, I still stand by my comments.

I didn't say you have to use Gen 1 system. I used it as an example to make a point that not all Bosch drive systems need to have a tiny chairing.

All current Bosch drive systems use a small front sprocket, and the current CX motor which is being repeatedly mentioned, certainly requires one in an unmodified state.
So again, unless either the company are going to externally modify the current CX motor, or there is a new CX motor on it's way, I just don't see it.

I'm certainly no fan of the small front sprocket size for off road use, so any switch back to a regular size is a welcome one and I'd love to be proved wrong.

Last edited:
Does it take a Stromer battery? that would be nice to get more of the proprietary batteries out there

If the app on the mobile would be the only way to set the support mode - it would be a annoying.

Imagine riding roughly uphill and need more power. Switch to the next level - without leaving the handlebar. What kind of switch should be mounted next to the handle grip?

upload_2016-4-7_21-36-47.png

This requires a motor which can be controlled direkt.

The battery in the downtube requires custom cell packing. Which supplier would allow this?

Seems the spoiler above was not sufficient. ;-)

So, here one more hint:
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Back