Step-Thrus delivered (Black) w/images & timeline

ExFire

Arrived via FedEx @ 2:30 today, 9/9/20
Original order #16550 for 2 black Step-Thrus confirmed on June 17.
Order changed to Step-Thrus June 24 (The day of Step-Thru announcement).
Step-Thrus delivered September 9.

I have not seen any black step-thrus so far, so I am including some photos.
Wife is 5'3', shown seated with feet flat on ground w/seat at minimum ht. She thinks she would like the handlebars set at #8 on the marked scale.
Bikes were packaged very well.No damage to containers(2) or derailleur protector, etc. No scrapes, dings noted in first look-over.
Images appeared in reverse order, ...I don't know how to correct this, as this is my first image/post.
Bike shown in x-large Commander "tote" from Lowes, ...handlebars removed, pedals folded, seat at full drop.Nothing outside perimeter of tote, some extension above top.

Vehicle space requirements for tote with folded step-thru inside; 22" wide x 45" long by 29" high. These dimensions for completely stock step-thru, standard seat/post, etc.
Our plan is to cover with furniture/moving pad, ...should cover both bikes, making not visible to thieves.
Note: Although not promised, box also contained Lectric panniers!

Attachments

• IMG_5953.jpg
    IMG_5953.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 1,295
  • IMG_5952.jpg
    IMG_5952.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 950
  • IMG_5951.jpg
    IMG_5951.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 862
  • IMG_5950.jpg
    IMG_5950.jpg
    463.3 KB · Views: 857
  • IMG_5947.jpg
    IMG_5947.jpg
    601.8 KB · Views: 810
  • IMG_5945.jpg
    IMG_5945.jpg
    606.4 KB · Views: 760
  • IMG_5944.jpg
    IMG_5944.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 710
  • IMG_5943.jpg
    IMG_5943.jpg
    573.1 KB · Views: 663
  • IMG_5942.jpg
    IMG_5942.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 712
Last edited:
I like the tote idea. I cannot find one labeled extra large. Is this possibly the 64 gallon model on their website? Happy biking.

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you, ...and you're very welcome.
I like the tote idea. I cannot find one labeled extra large. Is this possibly the 64 gallon model on their website? Happy biking.

Right, ...64 gallon model. $37.98

"Happy biking", ...maybe soon - much of state on fire, some dead, sky orange, air filled with falling ash - gets all over everything, and not good to breathe. Patience ;-)

Arrived via FedEx @ 2:30 today, 9/9/20
I have not seen any black step-thrus so far, so I am including some photos.
Wife is 5'3', shown seated with feet flat on ground w/seat at minimum ht. She thinks she would like the handlebars set at #8 on the marked scale.
Bikes were packaged very well.No damage to containers(2) or derailleur protector, etc. No scrapes, dings noted in first look-over.
Images appeared in reverse order, ...I don't know how to correct this, as this is my first image/post.
Bike shown in x-large Commander "tote" from Lowes, ...handlebars removed, pedals folded, seat at full drop. Nothing outside perimeter of tote, some extension above top.
Vehicle space requirements for tote with folded step-thru inside; 22" wide x 45" long by 29" high. These dimensions for completely stock step-thru, standard seat/post, etc.
Our plan is to cover with furniture/moving pad, ...should cover both bikes, making not visible to thieves.
Note: Although not promised, box also contained Lectric panniers!

Nicely done!

Congrats and happy ebiking.

Haven’t seen an “in the wild” black step-thru so this is a great post.

That tote seems to be a different model that the 64 gallon tote I got at Lowes. The one you're showing doesn't have a handle, but does appear to have wheels. Mine came with a red top. I'm very glad to have the handle, it makes loading & unloading easy.

I have a black step through on order I placed on August 7th. Would be nice to see it arrive soon. Congratulations on yours getting here undamaged. Enjoy!

That tote seems to be a different model that the 64 gallon tote I got at Lowes. The one you're showing doesn't have a handle, but does appear to have wheels. Mine came with a red top. I'm very glad to have the handle, it makes loading & unloading easy.

I have a black step through on order I placed on August 7th. Would be nice to see it arrive soon. Congratulations on yours getting here undamaged. Enjoy!

The "Handles" on this tote are yellow, ...but mostly serve as latches to keep the top on. Some buyers have complained that they were fragile, or easily broken, ...not real sturdy enough for lifting/tugging the tote when loaded, ...so I removed ours(since the top can't be used with a bike inside anyway). The edges of the tote itself are somewhat sharp, but for the short roll/lift into the car interior they are alright. For longer lift/rolling, a cloth or gloves would be more comfortable. I didn't want to deal with possibly breaking the "latches" since the totes are multi-use, when not transporting bikes ;-), and the tops could then be used.

Yes, the 64 gal. tote has 6" diameter wheels, nice for lifting by the other end and rolling over most surfaces.

A smaller version Commander(40 gal?) will hold the bike somewhat tightly (some have said), but has no wheels.
The large tote fit with handlebars inside is tight enough, that a smaller tote would have to have the bars left up/out, it seems to me. For the small difference in price, I prefer the larger tote.

I am not familiar with a 64 gal. tote with a "red top", so can't comment/compare Are your "handles"/latches yellow (or red?).

[ Note: Home Depot (not Lowes) sells a Husky (not Commander) 45 gal (not 64gal) with a red top, which appears to have a molded in handle in the top,...Is this the one you have?
I don't know whether this Husky one will fit these bikes the same, but it may, if the 40 gal Commander does] If the handle is off when the top is off, there will be no handle with a bike inside.

WHOOPS! Found the red top w/handle. It's a Craftsman 50 gal. at Lowes. Not sure whether the inside configuration or dimensions will fit a folded XP or Step-Thru. Outside dimensions suggest it will fit. Handle looks good, ...someone will have to be the guinea pig to test for bike fit :-0.

Last edited:
The "Handles" on this tote are yellow, ...but mostly serve as latches to keep the top on. Some buyers have complained that they were fragile, or easily broken, ...not real sturdy enough for lifting/tugging the tote when loaded, ...so I removed ours(since the top can't be used with a bike inside anyway). The edges of the tote itself are somewhat sharp, but for the short roll/lift into the car interior they are alright. For longer lift/rolling, a cloth or gloves would be more comfortable. I didn't want to deal with possibly breaking the "latches" since the totes are multi-use, when not transporting bikes ;-), and the tops could then be used.

Yes, the 64 gal. tote has 6" diameter wheels, nice for lifting by the other end and rolling over most surfaces.

A smaller version Commander(40 gal?) will hold the bike somewhat tightly (some have said), but has no wheels.
The large tote fit with handlebars inside is tight enough, that a smaller tote would have to have the bars left up/out, it seems to me. For the small difference in price, I prefer the larger tote.

I am not familiar with a 64 gal. tote with a "red top", so can't comment/compare Are your "handles"/latches yellow (or red?).

[ Note: Home Depot (not Lowes) sells a Husky (not Commander) 45 gal (not 64gal) with a red top, which appears to have a molded in handle in the top,...Is this the one you have?
I don't know whether this Husky one will fit these bikes the same, but it may, if the 40 gal Commander does] If the handle is off when the top is off, there will be no handle with a bike inside.

WHOOPS! Found the red top w/handle. It's a Craftsman 50 gal. at Lowes. Not sure whether the inside configuration or dimensions will fit a folded XP or Step-Thru. Outside dimensions suggest it will fit. Handle looks good, ...someone will have to be the guinea pig to test for bike fit :-0.

My mistake, I got the 50 gallon Craftsman tote with red top from Lowes, and yes it comfortable fits the XP, however it appears from your photos your handlebar folds differently than mine, possibly due to which way you turn the front wheel?

I have only tried to fold the bike by pointing the front wheel straight ahead and twisting it around to the left, and on my bike the handlebar folds to the right putting it on the outside of the bike.

Perhaps I am misinterpreting your photos, but it looks to me like your handlebars fold so they are between the 2 halves of the bike and this inside the tote, whereas in my case they fold to the outside. If I was loading it into a pickup truck (no roof clearance problem) I could leave the handlebars unfolded. When I load the tote with bike into my van I fold the handlebars down and they rest against the outside of the tote.
---
You're absolutely right about the sharp edges of the tote. I used Gorilla tape to attach some soft foam on one side as I was always scraping my legs on it when unloading. I have a specific orientation I want the bike to be in the tote and the handle oriented in the van.

Last night I took the bike out to a park and did my first night ride, testing my upgraded headlight. I wired it into the same circuit as the original. It may cause a failure if it draws too much current for the controller to handle, but I haven't had any issues yet. I need to compare the current draw between the new one and old one to see the difference. This is the light I got: Zramo 20W 12v - 80v

I also discovered last night that I need to add the foam padding to both sides of the tote, b/c I put the bike into the tote on one side and take it out on the other to be sure derailer guard is facing me going in and the wheels are to my right. If I always manage the weight with the wheels to my right as I lift, that means I need to switch the tote handle from my right to my left.

My mistake, I got the 50 gallon Craftsman tote with red top from Lowes, and yes it comfortable fits the XP, however it appears from your photos your handlebar folds differently than mine, possibly due to which way you turn the front wheel?

I have only tried to fold the bike by pointing the front wheel straight ahead and twisting it around to the left, and on my bike the handlebar folds to the right putting it on the outside of the bike.

Perhaps I am misinterpreting your photos, but it looks to me like your handlebars fold so they are between the 2 halves of the bike and this inside the tote, whereas in my case they fold to the outside. If I was loading it into a pickup truck (no roof clearance problem) I could leave the handlebars unfolded. When I load the tote with bike into my van I fold the handlebars down and they rest against the outside of the tote.
---
You're absolutely right about the sharp edges of the tote. I used Gorilla tape to attach some soft foam on one side as I was always scraping my legs on it when unloading. I have a specific orientation I want the bike to be in the tote and the handle oriented in the van.

Last night I took the bike out to a park and did my first night ride, testing my upgraded headlight. I wired it into the same circuit as the original. It may cause a failure if it draws too much current for the controller to handle, but I haven't had any issues yet. I need to compare the current draw between the new one and old one to see the difference. This is the light I got: Zramo 20W 12v - 80v

I also discovered last night that I need to add the foam padding to both sides of the tote, b/c I put the bike into the tote on one side and take it out on the other to be sure derailer guard is facing me going in and the wheels are to my right. If I always manage the weight with the wheels to my right as I lift, that means I need to switch the tote handle from my right to my left.

The handlebars are not just folded, they are completely pulled out and positioned where the electrical connection cords permit. With no parts projecting outside the sides of the tote, orientation in the vehicle is optional. No parts stick outside the tote (except at the top) to damage the vehicle interior or other cargo at the sides or ends of the tote, or to be damaged themselves. The tallest parts are the end of the rack and the open end of the steering post. both are just under 29 inches from the floor/deck.

After (optionally removing the seat and battery to lighten things up) and wheeling the unfolded bike up to the tote at the rear of the (in this case) Toyota 4Runner, I fold it, place it in the tote, and then raise/rest the no-wheel end of the tote up on the deck/bumper/whatever( 27 or 31 inches) and, with the vehicle supporting that end, I then pick up the wheeled end, and slide the tote all the way in. With this method, I am never supporting the full weight of the tote/bike. In this vehicle, 2 totes will fit either lengthways or crossways with the rear seat folded down.

I intend to add a sturdy handle to the no-wheels end ( ...maybe both ends) of the tote, for more comfortable lifting/rolling, and forget the cloth or gloves.

A work in progress, no?

Last edited:
A work in progress, no?

Indeed. I just came back from talking to a friend and he suggested it would be easier to put the bike in without the tote and it sure was with far less "hassle". I could put 2 bikes in totes in the van with the 2 rear seats folded, but with less room for other things. I do like the idea of the bikes in totes to keep the van clean tho. I could spread a tarp out on the floor otherwise, but that adds to the hassle as well.

Putting the bikes in directly, lifting the front wheel in first then the back is very easy to do, and there's no need to do anything except fold the handlebars. I could put both bikes in that way, each as close the wall of the van, leaving quite a bit of room in between for cargo. With the seats folded down into the van floor, it leaves 4 convenient and very sturdy places to hook ratchet straps to for securing the bikes in place.

Not sure which method I'll use yet, but it's nice to have more options!

Indeed. I just came back from talking to a friend and he suggested it would be easier to put the bike in without the tote and it sure was with far less "hassle". I could put 2 bikes in totes in the van with the 2 rear seats folded, but with less room for other things. I do like the idea of the bikes in totes to keep the van clean tho. I could spread a tarp out on the floor otherwise, but that adds to the hassle as well.

Putting the bikes in directly, lifting the front wheel in first then the back is very easy to do, and there's no need to do anything except fold the handlebars. I could put both bikes in that way, each as close the wall of the van, leaving quite a bit of room in between for cargo. With the seats folded down into the van floor, it leaves 4 convenient and very sturdy places to hook ratchet straps to for securing the bikes in place.

Not sure which method I'll use yet, but it's nice to have more options!

Of course there is less room for "other things" if you use the room for a 2nd bike (which is an other thing, huh?)

Just my opinion, but I don't think the time required to tote-ize a bike after folding it is an issue. Folding is one of the features we bought the thing for. Leisure, rather than race pace is my intended mode now that I am retired. (I rushed to about 10,000 emergencies during a 37 year F.D. career, and don't need any more hurrying ;-) When it is secured in the relatively damage-proof tote "package" it can be shoved this way and that, with relatively little difficulty or care, and rolled into the garage or wherever, with it's floorspace requirement somewhat minimized, with no fall-over damage, nor trip-over inconvenience to contend with. (I find the kickstand holds the bike too vertically, with only a slight nudge needed to tip it over to the other side. This is a first impression only, and I don't know if some adjustment can remedy this.) Keeping trail dirt/mud/water out of the vehicle is another plus, as you note.

Rooftop racks, receiver mounted carriers, or trailers can be used for all types of "cargo" that I would rather have outside in weather and hwy dirt, than my theft-bait water-vulnerable e-bike.

The tote also is a stuff carrier for camping/fishing/hunting/moving,etc., that a no-tote cannot be :)

To each his/her own, but I'm going toting!

Back