Stealth Bomber Waterproofing

Chuck

Wondering if there is any good mods, aside from fenders that will help waterproof some of the sensitive electronics on these machines. That speed controller really should be designed to be waterproof, given the splashy location... I was thinking of a velcro raincoat to go over it possibly, but tend to think likely needs fresh air for cooling...

I don't like to ride my conventional suspension bike in the rain and mud for the obvious mechanical reasons, but with the Bomber? I am sure that getting stuck in a torrential downpour is not a matter of if? But, When? And, how flippin' far from home? Anybody already try something different? Any Ideas or Suggestions?

Hey Chuck, while I've not encountered water issues with the Stealth ebikes I did see the other thread talking about water damage and indeed, the speed controller is mounted to the underside of the downtube (downbox?) right where dirt, mud and water are likely to fly up when riding. I've noticed that none of their bikes come with fenders but that could be a decent first option. This however, would not protect against rain (though the positioning might).

I like your idea of a waterproof case, bag or cover but recognize the temperature regulation drawbacks. This is a tough subject as I have limited knowledge of the internal workings of the electronics. Maybe they've improved the design and it is well protected? Maybe it's better sealed now or maybe the electronics are coated inside the box. Sorry to come up short on this one, maybe we could get Stealth to chime in? I'll see what I can do ;)

Hey Chuck, while I've not encountered water issues with the Stealth ebikes I did see the other thread talking about water damage and indeed, the speed controller is mounted to the underside of the downtube (downbox?) right where dirt, mud and water are likely to fly up when riding. I've noticed that none of their bikes come with fenders but that could be a decent first option. This however, would not protect against rain (though the positioning might).

I like your idea of a waterproof case, bag or cover but recognize the temperature regulation drawbacks. This is a tough subject as I have limited knowledge of the internal workings of the electronics. Maybe they've improved the design and it is well protected? Maybe it's better sealed now or maybe the electronics are coated inside the box. Sorry to come up short on this one, maybe we could get Stealth to chime in? I'll see what I can do ;)

Thanks Court,

I just bought mine yesterday serial 326, and is new 2013/14. It doesn't appear to be very well sealed at the screw mounting locations. I am sure a dab of silicone would help there, but do not want to open it up to check the casing for adequate sealing. I am sure a pelican case type o-ring seal would be a great design to have integrated into a speed control such as this, however, outwardly, this does not appear to be the case.

If you could have Stealth chime in, and offer support, that would be awesome!!!
Chuck

Hey Chuck! I reached out to them right after I responded to you but have not heard back yet (it is the weekend after all :)). I shared the link and sort of prefaced the question/concern. Thank you so much for sharing your observation and experience here. The CEO's of Pedego, Currie, Volton, Outrider and others have all responded here and my goal is to create a space where constructive feedback can help people find the best bikes and keep them running or getting even better so I hope it works out for us in this case as well!

Hi Chuck, someone mentioned fenders might be a good solution for keeping water and mud off of the control box so I created a few mockups with fender suggestions in this new thread. I'd be curious to hear how your bike has been working and if you've come up with any other new ideas.

The biggest weakness Bombers have with water is the 5 pin connector between the frame and swing arm. It's a low voltage connection for the hall effect sensors. When it get's wet, the bike runs poopie till it dries out. The only time I've had a problem was the two times I washed my bike with a hose. Now I follow the recommendation of the owners manual, and only give my bike a sponge bath for cleaning. I've seen these type of connectors sold that are waterproof, and if you ride in the rain or wet that would be a good consideration. Where I live it doesn't rain very much so waterproofing isn't too high on my list, and I really don't like riding in rain anyway, but for a lot of people this would be one of the first things to do. Obviously the factory didn't give very much consideration to waterproofing.

If eBikes in general are supposed to take the place of cars for short errands and/or commutes to work, I would think designing a bike with the consideration of wet weather would be a major item on the list.

Back