ST2 Spring Loaded KickStand - you are kidding me.

Airliner787

OK ..so the ST2 comes with a spring loaded kickstand. This sounds cool but trust me , at some point your bike will fall. Either somebody will move your bike or an admirer will try to lift your bike to see how heavy it is or for some reason, somebody will cause your kickstand to fold up. They will not expect this and will try to catch the bike but the weight of the bikeis not expected , and it will fall. I know,it happened to me and so I post this as a friendly warning. So now I am looking to either remove the spring or get a different kick stand.

In EU, it is mandatory to put spring loaded kickstands on S-pedelecs.
I like it a lot.

What is the logic for this in Eu?

EU bureaucracy is famous (or better: infamous) for their negative impact on citizens. The ST2 is EU-homologated in the 45km/h category. The legacy of this category comes from these 50 ccm motorcycles. The Brussels paper-shufflers believe, ST2 owners are too stupid using a classic kickstand.

In Switzerland, the kickstand is without the spring. Furthermore, here a guide how to replace against a more stable kickstand (if you carry load on the rack).

@ Ravi Kempaiah For me, the solution what Specialized found, is also acceptable.

upload_2015-6-20_11-39-59.png

What is the logic for this in Eu?
You will not like it when your bike falls over because someone touched it.

@Airliner787 , @bluecat ,

The idea behind using spring is not bureaucracy but simple common sense. When you're on a s_pedelec, you're often going over 23+mph and many do including me. At that speed, when you go over a bump, if a kick stand pops out, it can have dangerous consequences.
Either the design should be sturdy enough to keep it retracted without using spring or just use a spring to keep it firmly retracted. Both works.

@Airliner787 , @bluecat ,

The idea behind using spring is not bureaucracy but simple common sense.

Maybe, the kickstands in the US are different.

The one on my own Stromer never ever did any move. And road-bumps and other obstacles also exists on paved swiss roads. As mentioned before, the EU law has its origins in this construction:

upload_2015-6-20_17-36-53.png

I'm prolly gonna regret this........ All kickstands are spring loaded, you mean "auto up". My new st2 has same as same as my st1, and all modern Harley's and motorcycles...... That photo of old motorcycle is design used by lots of old motorcycles. When you pulled your motorcycle up on that- no accidental auto-ups were gonna happen- it takes a good push forward to auto-up it.
No kickstand,-ktm and all Japanese motocross mfg, and I think many mountain bike mfgs too ship and sell their bikes without kickstands for weight savings- that thinking makes auto up kickstand seem ingenious.
Of course then you have to lay your own bike on the ground anytime there is no place to lean it against- or it falls over on its own after you lean it against something, makes some random guy accidental knock seem like a non event.
All kickstands are naturally designed against that possible broken spring pogo scenario unless your riding in reverse.

Yes I meant Auto up. A person wanted to move my bike 6 inches the other day and the kick stand went auto up but they were not expecting that nor the weight, so it fell to the cement as they could not catch it.

Back