ST2 Rain/Water Seal Performance?

Rick Huizinga

The battery door on the ST2 seems a little flimsy, and the seal doesn't fully cover the gap between the door and frame, specifically near the middle (length-wise). I'm concerned that water on the surface of the frame could seep into the battery compartment and accumulate at the bottom where the battery connector is located.

Has anyone had experience riding their ST2 in the rain yet? How have the seals on the battery door held up?

EDIT: Here is a video that I found on YouTube which shows the gap in the seal that I'm referring to:

Last edited:
I've ridden it in the rain many times. I haven't had any problems yet. I do agree that the door seal and the lock mechanism are underengineered compared to the rest of the bike. Sort of like the $2 bell the bike comes with: really?

The battery door on the ST2 seems a little flimsy, and the seal doesn't fully cover the gap between the door and frame, specifically near the middle (length-wise). I'm concerned that water on the surface of the frame could seep into the battery compartment and accumulate at the bottom where the battery connector is located.

Has anyone had experience riding their ST2 in the rain yet? How have the seals on the battery door held up?

EDIT: Here is a video showing the gap in the seal that I'm referring to:

The door has a tiny bit of outward bulge in the middle! if I am seeing the video correctly. That just doesn't seem right. Can you straighten that out?
The 2014 models had weak battery compartment doors and for 2015 production models, the doors were reinforced with a thin composite and the issue was solved.
I have ridden the bike for several miles in mild drizzle and didn't notice any water seeping into the battery compartment.

I agree with @ProfSharona , the bikes comes with few mediocre components albeit small ones (bell, rear rack, tubes).

Last edited:
Yes I have ridden in a couple downpours. The streets were even flooded on one outing, had to walk my St2 on the side in the grass.My seat post tube even had water droplets in it. If I could have lift the bike upside down I'm sure some water would have come out. I can attest as far as mine goes no problem riding in the wet stuff. The battery plug you refer to is well designed to almost have to be submerged to fail.

I agree there is a bulge in middle. My local Stromer dealer said even if water got into battery compartment, the water is further sealed from electronics inside so no worry. However, like most ST2 owners, I want things right. I would like the new 2015 door swapped in if possible. I don't ride in rain but carry a couple of Velcro straps with me just in case.
I bought mine in 2015 so I really don't know if I have the new door or not. How rigid did they make it?

I got mine at the end of May (2015) so I assume it is a 2015. It has a flimsy battery door with a bulge near the middle so the seal does not sit flush with the frame in that area.

@Ravi Kempaiah Is there a way to identify whether a door has the composite reinforcement?

By the way Rick I wanted to add that I have never seen a disc brake grip and stop with such confidence in heavy rain. After lots of motorcycling .I had to continually give a light touch to try to keep the rotor clean a little. Phenomenal choice of brakes Stromer made !

EDIT: Here is a video that I found on YouTube which shows the gap in the seal that I'm referring to:

We just got back from biking our ST2s all over the San Juan Islands in WA and the first two days it rained pretty heavy on us! I was nervous as well but no issues. I pulled the battery to check the compartment and all is good.

I've cycled in huge down pours with no issues - even in hail once although I had to dive into a gas station for cover as it was very painful.

We also had a lot of flooding here on some of the bike paths I use. A couple of times my foot was underwater on the down stroke of the pedal. I was more than a bit worried but that was fine too. Even cleaned my wheels!

We just got back from biking our ST2s all over the San Juan Islands in WA and the first two days it rained pretty heavy on us! I was nervous as well but no issues. I pulled the battery to check the compartment and all is good.

I live in the PNW too, but there hasn't been any rain here since I got my ST2 in late May, so I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

I'm looking at taking a bike trip up to Victoria via the Port Angeles ferry later this month. I'll probably turn it into a two day trip so I can charge the battery overnight in Port Ludlow.

I live in the PNW too, but there hasn't been any rain here since I got my ST2 in late May, so I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

I'm looking at taking a bike trip up to Victoria via the Port Angeles ferry later this month. I'll probably turn it into a two day trip so I can charge the battery overnight in Port Ludlow.

We had a freaky Thursday- Friday of off and ON rain in Friday Harbor! After that, the week was amazingly clear for kayaking and biking. The Orcas leg was tough even with the ST2 for the last 3 mile steep climb with 100 lbs of gear, backpack and my fat a-s. My gal flew up but my panniers and back pack were full of my clothes, emergency gear, bottles of wine and cheese:). We did fly by quite a few of our Lycra brethren and they were a bit surprised as many were walking and we were hitting "boost" and making 10+mph uphill...we're both so used to flying on these things we are surprised when we are challenged out there!!! The ST2 is a Semi-Truck for hauling and touring! Impressive rigs!
image.jpeg

@Notonenameleft Did you have any problems with all that weight on the rear rack? It's rated for a max of 17kg.

I've had issues carrying weight on the rear rack and having the rack suddenly drop down after hitting a bump. In the following picture, the rack support rod will slide down by the mounting screw. Whenever that happens, the rear fender will rub against the tire.
ak_DRWdvdmRbO76fxbHlnQnWwfoOV6S4bSzI1HrUPX_L=w545-h733-no

I'm trying to find some type of insert to fill the void in this opening (for the mounting screw) so that the rack will no longer drop down when carrying weight and hitting a bump.

EDIT: I just started a new thread to document solutions for this issue: http://electricbikereview.com/community/threads/reinforcing-the-rear-rack-for-carrying-weight.2491/

Last edited:
Nope. It was solid. Never a worry here...I put the weight on the panniers not on top of the rack. The ride back was so much easier sans the wine bottles and food!

Last edited:
@Notonenameleft Did you have any problems with all that weight on the rear rack? It's rated for a max of 17kg.

I've had issues carrying weight on the rear rack and having the rack suddenly drop down after hitting a bump. In the following picture, the rack support rod will slide down by the mounting screw. Whenever that happens, the rear fender will rub against the tire.
ak_DRWdvdmRbO76fxbHlnQnWwfoOV6S4bSzI1HrUPX_L=w545-h733-no

I'm trying to find some type of insert to fill the void in this opening (for the mounting screw) so that the rack will no longer drop down when carrying weight and hitting a bump.

EDIT: I just started a new thread to document solutions for this issue: http://electricbikereview.com/community/threads/reinforcing-the-rear-rack-for-carrying-weight.2491/

To avoid this slipping of rack tubing you may want to try a small spacer or a washer (should be available in hardware stores).
I haven't had such issues although I load 30lbs routinely.

You can also fill the slot in the rack support with a properly cut/ ground length of steel rod (or even a bolt with the head cut off) to act as a spacer/filler in the slot. You may need a slightly larger outside diameter washer to keep it locked in place.

The door has a tiny bit of outward bulge in the middle! if I am seeing the video correctly. That just doesn't seem right. Can you straighten that out?
The 2014 models had weak battery compartment doors and for 2015 production models, the doors were reinforced with a thin composite and the issue was solved.
I have ridden the bike for several miles in mild drizzle and didn't notice any water seeping into the battery compartment.

I agree with @ProfSharona , the bikes comes with few mediocre components albeit small ones (bell, rear rack, tubes).
My 2017 ST2S seems to have this problem as well: outward bulge/gap in the middle. Any tips on how to fix?

My 2017 ST2S seems to have this problem as well: outward bulge/gap in the middle. Any tips on how to fix?

Since I was charging mostly on the bike, I used a small double-sided to tape on the battery to fix this. This held the door part snugly.
After one summer, somehow the gap closed on its own.

I haven't noticed a gap in the battery door, though if I did I think I would just find some thin adhesive-backed weather strip at a hardware store and apply it to the inside of the door lip.

I did notice that the downtube cover appeared to not be sealed completely along the sides. I bought some clear tape intended to be used on car door edges to prevent paint chips. I bought a 3" wide roll on Amazon and just put a strip down the entire length of the cover. I also put it on the seat stays and chain stays where my panniers rub and the chain could scratch the paint. I wouldn't have gone out of the way to cover the seat/ chain stays, but I already had the tape. It's thick and sticks very well. It's also nearly invisible.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotchgard-C...omobile+tape&qid=1554841650&s=gateway&sr=8-29

I have a 2017 ST2 S with the same battery cover bulging problem. A $9000 bike that is really well engineered but they skimped on a lousy cover.
Obviously a design fault but Stromer is not great when it comes to admitting a mistake. It looks cheap and gives the whole bike a bad image.
A free upgrade would be nice.

Back