ST 2 Bike Trailer??

Cory151

Bought a bike trailer online and just got around to assembling it since the urge to go pickup some bigger stuff emerged.

Long story short there is no way to hook this onto the ST2 in its current state. What are people using for trailers on the Stromers?

2v9q60x.jpg

Also found this info on the Stromer site

Attaching
Attaching the following trailer systems has been tested on the ST2.

• Thule ezHitch, Webber-E and Burley couplings can be attached to the optional ST2 trailer plate kit (Art. 221019). Please check other coupling systems before buying.
  • Various manufacturers offer the options of solid-axle couplings/adapters with the dimensions M10x1. A BobYak or a FollowMe, for example, can be attached to the ST2 trailer plate kit (Art. 221019) with such couplings.

Also found this info on the Stromer site

Attaching
Attaching the following trailer systems has been tested on the ST2.

• Thule ezHitch, Webber-E and Burley couplings can be attached to the optional ST2 trailer plate kit (Art. 221019). Please check other coupling systems before buying.
  • Various manufacturers offer the options of solid-axle couplings/adapters with the dimensions M10x1. A BobYak or a FollowMe, for example, can be attached to the ST2 trailer plate kit (Art. 221019) with such couplings.
Awesome, I'm gonna try and find that plate kit somewhere. Maybe my local dealer can get it. This would be good and id like to use Stromer parts of at all possible.

We've been waiting on Stromer to send us some of these mythical plates since I bought my own ST2 in when we got the first batch. Last I heard from the reps they didn't know when these would be available. I emailed them again today, we'll see what they say.

Man, Im really jonesing for a trailer so i can get groceries and such. Maybe Il just get the Travoy and remove my rear light to mount it just below my body float.

I use a Travoy. It could be built better. But I will recommend, serious grocery getter , you have to remember it's there, because I don't even feel it with with my St2. Makes the bike ride even better ! I have a thudbuster.

Totally jazzed and totally untested...but not for long

I'm adding a trailering capability to my ST2. Forever I have schemed to add a trailer to my touring stable and lately the Radical Design Cyclone IV Treking has been tempting me. I have done many a mile on single and tandem bikes laden with panniers but with the recent addition of the ST2 to my 2 wheel rolling stock the idea of more weight and racks on the ebike has pushed over the edge for purchasing a trailer.

I took the plunge!

I bought the trailer assuming I would have to tackle the hitch question once I fully understood the specific attachment needs. After considering several alternative approaches once i had the parts in hand, I figured I was going to need to have a custom axle made and proceeded to sketch up an idea for one (shown below). I researched some local machine shop and was moving in that direction when the wonderful internet served up the perfect solution already made and ready for shipping, The Robert Axle Project.

Long story shortened, I confirmed Thursday evening that they had what I needed via email (a 5 minute response time at 10pm) and placed my order on their website 10 minutes later. It shipped Friday and arrived today and got installed in about 10 minutes flat.

Time and testing will tell, but darn, it all seems to fit together perfectly. Check out the photos.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.png image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Trailer supplier
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Axle supplier
http://www.robertaxleproject.com

Totally jazzed and totally untested...but not for long

I'm adding a trailering capability to my ST2. Forever I have schemed to add a trailer to my touring stable and lately the Radical Design Cyclone IV Treking has been tempting me. I have done many a mile on single and tandem bikes laden with panniers but with the recent addition of the ST2 to my 2 wheel rolling stock the idea of more weight and racks on the ebike has pushed over the edge for purchasing a trailer.

I took the plunge!

I bought the trailer assuming I would have to tackle the hitch question once I fully understood the specific attachment needs. After considering several alternative approaches once i had the parts in hand, I figured I was going to need to have a custom axle made and proceeded to sketch up an idea for one (shown below). I researched some local machine shop and was moving in that direction when the wonderful internet served up the perfect solution already made and ready for shipping, The Robert Axle Project.

Long story shortened, I confirmed Thursday evening that they had what I needed via email (a 5 minute response time at 10pm) and placed my order on their website 10 minutes later. It shipped Friday and arrived today and got installed in about 10 minutes flat.

Time and testing will tell, but darn, it all seems to fit together perfectly. Check out the photos.
View attachment 4837 View attachment 4838 View attachment 4839 View attachment 4840 View attachment 4841 View attachment 4842 View attachment 4843 View attachment 4844

Trailer supplier
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Axle supplier
http://www.robertaxleproject.com

Great find, I wonder which axle Id need with the trailer pictured above? Since it some kind of China knock off.

That's a good question, I was wondering how BOB like trailer would attach to the Stromer since the rear axle on the drive side of the ST2 doesn't exit the frame. It looks like Robert Axles has BOB style axles but the only solution I can think of, which makes me weak in the knees to even suggest, would be to drill open the drive side of the drop out to expose the end of the axle. Double yikes! Not sure I'd have the stomach for that modification. I suspect very quickly you could exceed the cost of a different trailer with one wrong move.

I'm having a lot of trouble with my Robert Axle. I'd be curious exactly which pieces you installed -- one of the spacers in my kit didn't seem to fit, and after consulting with them via email they said to skip it.

They also didn't document what to do with the two existing lock washers that were with the original axle. I left them in, but it's unclear to me whether that's okay or not.

I am having squeaking and cracking sounds even with a well-lubed R.A. installed. I have removed and installed it three times. When I ask Stromer about it, they of course refuse to answer and say I should be using their part instead. (Maybe I should.)

Do you remember whether you installed that angled spacer as well as the flat cylindrical one? Can't quite tell from your pic...

I haven't rode on mine yet so I'm anxious to see if I experience a similar squeak. My axle came with two spacers, one squared off and one beveled, a flat washer and a locknut. I used the squared off spacer (non beveled) which when placed alongside the original axle matched the length/space exactly.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much for the detail. Mine squeaked, then stopped after I relubed/reinstalled, then started back again at a different frequency after putting about ten miles on it. I have the same configuration as you, with both of those big lock washers installed still. R.A. suggested removing those lock washers to see if that would fix it, but I don't know the mechanical purpose of them, and Stromer USA didn't care to comment either.

Let me know how yours gets along!

By no means a thorough test but i did put 15 miles on the new Robert Project axle yesterday. It was a day time ride, there was a light breeze and my outer shell jacket made flapping noises so its hard to say for sure but I could not tell any difference between the stock axle and the RP axle. No discernible squeaks or any other signs.

But the day wasn't a waste - why I love to ride.

thebay.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back