Spring vs Air

I should be getting my Turbo Vado 4.0 ST in about a month according to the LBS. So other than the test ride I have no experience with it. Questions: Is there any substantial difference in a spring shock over an air fork? Which one lasts longer or are they similar in endurance? Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I should be getting my Turbo Vado 4.0 ST in about a month according to the LBS. So other than the test ride I have no experience with it. Questions: Is there any substantial difference in a spring shock over an air fork? Which one lasts longer or are they similar in endurance? Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Congrats on the new bike, make sure to post pics in the owners thread!

By endurance, do you mean service life, AKA how long it will last? Difference between the two is negligible regarding how long they work before servicing. In the Vado application the travel is so short it's really designed for rider comfort than handling MTB type stuff. That said, I'm a huge air fan, but for how Vado's are ridden spring is fine, no need to upgrade or anything.

I'd consider a Cane Creek Thudbuster or some sort of suspension seatpost to take the jarring out of the saddle. I went to a 27.2 carbon post to smooth out the ride. That's a common comment for the Vado and Como bikes. Also, check out Tannus liners, I've got them in my shop Vado and they're a good investment.

Upgrading the wheels would be the only other thing to consider depending on how you want to use the bike, wait till you get it and ride some before going that route.

Thanks for the info, I just never had a spring shock before. And that's good advice, wait until I ride it for a while before making or adding changes, if any. The only good thing about waiting for a new bike is that you age more slowly. Really looking forward to it after reading all these mostly positive posts here. The Mission Control App seems really cool.

Back