Specialized Vado SL 5.0 Range Extender

TBIE

Region
Europe
I am thinking of buying a Specialized Vado SL 5.0. Sometimes I visit places where it can be difficult to find a secure place to charge the bike since the main battery cannot be removed for charging. Does anybody know if the Range Extender battery can be used to 'charge' the main battery when the bike is stopped - i.e. transfer the power form a fully charged Range Extender to the main battery?

This is a clear no, each battery has its own charging electronics, which ensures that the cells are charged evenly. The expansion of the capacity only maintains the operating voltage for the motor a little longer. Charging from one battery to another is therefore not possible. That and a few other things were the reason why I decided in the end for a different product. The SL is rather unsuitable for longer distances.

There should be no need to use the range extender to recharge the bike itself. You merely use the extender as the bike battery. You will need to find a place to charge your SL, usually within 30 miles or so.

I’ve thought about the issue in the context of touring or cross country cycling and agree, the non-removable battery can be a problem, but almost any ebike will be a challenge to charge if there’s no electric outlet to use.

If you plan a trip based upon the mileage you get with an extender equipped SL and stay in a place with electricity it’s less of an issue.

So, e-bikes and long distance cycling in areas where limited access to electrical outlets is not a good idea. That’s not too hard a concept.

This is a clear no, each battery has its own charging electronics, which ensures that the cells are charged evenly. The expansion of the capacity only maintains the operating voltage for the motor a little longer. Charging from one battery to another is therefore not possible. That and a few other things were the reason why I decided in the end for a different product. The SL is rather unsuitable for longer distances.

Thanks for your reply. Your answer is clear and I now understand. Can you please share with me what bike you picked instead of the SL?

There should be no need to use the range extender to recharge the bike itself. You merely use the extender as the bike battery. You will need to find a place to charge your SL, usually within 30 miles or so.

I’ve thought about the issue in the context of touring or cross country cycling and agree, the non-removable battery can be a problem, but almost any ebike will be a challenge to charge if there’s no electric outlet to use.

If you plan a trip based upon the mileage you get with an extender equipped SL and stay in a place with electricity it’s less of an issue.

So, e-bikes and long distance cycling in areas where limited access to electrical outlets is not a good idea. That’s not too hard a concept.
Thanks for your reply also. My problem is not being in a place with no electricity but being in a place (a small hotel, for example) that does not have a facility to allow the bike to be charged. A removable battery would not pose the same problem. You could take it to your room to charge it. That's why I have a question about the SL and whether another bike would be a better option.

Thanks for your reply also. My problem is not being in a place with no electricity but being in a place (a small hotel, for example) that does not have a facility to allow the bike to be charged. A removable battery would not pose the same problem. You could take it to your room to charge it. That's why I have a question about the SL and whether another bike would be a better option.
I agree. Many hotels, motels and B&Bs along popular cycling trails allow you to bring your,cleaned, bike to your room. Not pretty, but it may be an option.

I’ve been thinking about this topic as I’ve been thinking about a day or two ride on the C&O trail in MD.

I am thinking of buying a Specialized Vado SL 5.0. Sometimes I visit places where it can be difficult to find a secure place to charge the bike since the main battery cannot be removed for charging. Does anybody know if the Range Extender battery can be used to 'charge' the main battery when the bike is stopped - i.e. transfer the power form a fully charged Range Extender to the main battery?
The possible choices are either to buy several Range Extenders (at least two of them, carry them in a pannier and replace en route, charging them in a hotel room) or to go with a full power e-bike such as Vado. Bear in mind, you can use a Range Extender even if the main battery is flat.

The possible choices are either to buy several Range Extenders (at least two of them, carry them in a pannier and replace en route, charging them in a hotel room) or to go with a full power e-bike such as Vado. Bear in mind, you can use a Range Extender even if the main battery is flat.
I did think about multiple range extenders, but thought it might be overkill. Good to know that the extender can be used even if main battery is flat. I'm looking for an ebike that won't look out of company in the presence of a road bike - my other half has a road bike and we generally cycle together. I've reached the stage where I can use some assistance and need a more upright cycling position. I also looked at the Canyon Roadlite ON. I don't like the lack of a control unit on the handlebar to adjust power settings but the Fazua battery is light, removable and easy to carry a spare. Also the Roadlite has wide gearing. The Giant Fastroad also was considered. It's best battery is 375kwh, is removable, and has an extender option too. I think it looks a bit bulky and is heavier that the Vado SL.

I agree. Many hotels, motels and B&Bs along popular cycling trails allow you to bring your,cleaned, bike to your room. Not pretty, but it may be an option.

I’ve been thinking about this topic as I’ve been thinking about a day or two ride on the C&O trail in MD.
Yeah, it's a bit of hassle having to haul the bike to a room maybe up a couple of floors! So many options, just trying to make the best choice between range, transportability, comfort, bike weight and looks. This forum is really useful.

Many hotels, motels and B&Bs along popular cycling trails allow you to bring your cleaned bike to your room. Not pretty, but it may be an option.
Most accommodations in semi-urbanised areas can provide a charging facility at any time, but not necessarily in the hotel room. So if you are planning a longer tripp, then you should make sure beforehand that the host can actually meet the energy requirements. However, this is not only about energy, but also about the safety of the bicycle.

So many options, just trying to make the best choice between range, transportability, comfort, bike weight and looks.
What I have learned so far is that e-bikes with removable batteries are usually much heavier than those with fully integrated batteries. This has to do with the frame construction and the required load limits. That's why I consider touring bikes with fully integrated batteries, such as the Vado SL, to be a failed concept. 🔰

Back