Specialized Turbo Vado size question

bones774

Hi All, someone in my area is selling a Spec Turbo Vado 5.0 2019 size med. I'm 6ft with a 32 inseam. I looked at the spec site and did all those measurements and that points to a large size frame. Anyone familiar with this bike, would it be that off if i bought the Med? my first ebike and this one is selling for decent price.
any other concerns for this model?
thanks

Last edited:
I ride a 2020 Vado 5 medium and am 5'9" with a 30" inseam. I like the fit for reach, though it is a tad high for me on the top tube, snug but no pain. I find it very comfortable for my rides (47 miles max so far with hills). YRMV.

At 6' with a 32" inseam you may be a bit tall for this bike. Only a test ride will tell.

My wife and I have had our Vados for nearly 2 years and really enjoy them. They have plenty of climbing power and range. Ours were some of the first to be equipped with the current TCD-W display/controller. Earlier models were equipped with the BLOKS display. The TCD-W display integrates seamlessly with the Specialized Mission Control app which I find very handy. The BLOKS display does not connect to this app, though some riders report that they use other 3rd party apps instead. There are a number of posts re this. The SEARCH function can help find these.

Some model years are/were eligible for free upgrades to the TCD-W display. Your local dealer should be able to clarify this for you.

Based on your location you may want to check on battery storage conditions. Storage at freezing or lower temps results in lowered battery life. Your LBS maybe able to run diagnostics on this.

Good luck, and ride on! 😎

I've been reading about the BLOKS problem. I'm just learning about ebikes now and controller/smart apps is also a new world to me. I was thinking that this bike would be a nice intro to ebikes at reasonable price and sell it after the summer for an upgrade if i like ebiking.
thanks for great help.

Hi All, someone in my area is selling a Spec Turbo Vado 5.0 2019 size med. I'm 6ft with a 32 inseam. I looked at the spec site and did all those measurements and that points to a large size frame. Anyone familiar with this bike, would it be that off if i bought the Med? my first ebike and this one is selling for decent price.
any other concerns for this model?
thanks
I think the large frame would be a better fit for you, that said, I think the medium could fit well too, with some minor adjustments. I am 5’11” with a 32” inseam and I ride a 2020 Turbo Vado 4.0 with a large step over (men’s) frame. The stand over height on the large frame is a bit high for me and I’ve debated whether I should have gotten a medium instead. As sierratim mentioned, the stand over height on the medium frame is a little on the high side for him (with a 30” inseam) but not overly so, and with your 32” inseam it’s probably ok for you too. My only concern might be the reach. What I like most about the large frame is the reach, having ridden road bikes for many years before graduating to ebikes, the reach is comfortable for me and not cramped, but I prefer to be a bit more laid out. At 6’2”, although I think you would probably fit better on the large frame, the reach on the medium frame could be extended somewhat by switching to a longer stem, and adding grips with bar ends like the Ergon GP3 would give you some more relaxing hand position options. My observation, after starting on ebikes in mid 2018, it has been a great experience. Being able to ride with my wife is fantastic. We both love riding the ebikes. We ride more, farther and still get great exercise in the fresh outdoor air. We have 4 of them now so we can take friends and family along. Getting a Turbo Vado 5.0 and making the minor fit adjustments on the medium frame you probably won’t need to upgrade for a quite a while, it is a top performer in its class!

Last edited:
I think the large frame would be a better fit for you, that said, I think the medium could fit well too, with some minor adjustments. ...
At 6’2”, although I think you would probably fit better on the large frame, the reach on the medium frame could be extended somewhat by switching to a longer stem, and adding grips with bar ends like the Ergon GP3 would give you some more relaxing hand position options. ..
Getting a Turbo Vado 5.0 and making the minor fit adjustments on the medium frame you probably won’t need to upgrade for a quite a while, it is a top performer in its class!
I understood the OP is 6' but not 6'2" tall. 🤔
At 6'2" I was in between the Vado L oder XL diamond frame. The reach of the XL frame suited me best so I went XL. Never thought about a M frame, far too small.

Vado 5.0 is a fine bike and if the OP can buy one in these days of short supply -> better to be quick.

I understood the OP is 6' but not 6'2" tall. 🤔
At 6'2" I was in between the Vado L oder XL diamond frame. The reach of the XL frame suited me best so I went XL. Never thought about a M frame, far too small.

Vado 5.0 is a fine bike and if the OP can buy one in these days of short supply -> better to be quick.
Yes, correct, I am 6ft, so maybe what Papa G said about reach would not be that discomforting to me.
And getting a fine bike during the shortage gets me thru the summer.
Last question is about the BLOKS system, not that concerned about all that stuff but does it affect the actual operation of bike if it craps out?
Thanks

Last question is about the BLOKS system, not that concerned about all that stuff but does it affect the actual operation of bike if it craps out?
There are mixed experiences with the BLOKS display. At the beginning it wasn't "waterproof" but that was fixed.

I never ever hat a problem with the BLOKS display of my Vado 4.0 MY2018 and still like it. Didn't dare to switch it to TCD-W although I'd be entitled to do so. If it fails I could still ride my bike, but that is Vado 4.0. In Europe you couldn't ride a Vado 6.0 without the display (by law, so the bike would be blocked).
I wouldn't make to much fuss about the (BLOKS) display. You could have it changed to the TCD-W later on, or not. Whatever you need.

Others had trouble with the BLOKS and had it converted to the TCD-W.

There are mixed experiences with the BLOKS display. At the beginning it wasn't "waterproof" but that was fixed.

I never ever hat a problem with the BLOKS display of my Vado 4.0 MY2018 and still like it. Didn't dare to switch it to TCD-W although I'd be entitled to do so. If it fails I could still ride my bike, but that is Vado 4.0. In Europe you couldn't ride a Vado 6.0 without the display (by law, so the bike would be blocked).
I wouldn't make to much fuss about the (BLOKS) display. You could have it changed to the TCD-W later on, or not. Whatever you need.

Others had trouble with the BLOKS and had it converted to the TCD-W

Agree. I ride 2020 Vado 5.0 with TCD-W but very seldom use the MC. I have changed the assist level few times but not a big deal. Not a deal breaker for me.
As I get older I find smaller frame and even step through (as opposed to step over diamond frame) is a better option for older population. Vado is a great choice and agree if you can find one and purchase NOW you shouldn’t be too picky. Purchase, enjoy, and switch if you have to if/when the supply is back to normal.

Yes, correct, I am 6ft, so maybe what Papa G said about reach would not be that discomforting to me.
And getting a fine bike during the shortage gets me thru the summer.
Thanks
The display does need to function for the Vado to function.

Where do i look to find serial number/model number on bike?
i know reg bikes it varied from under the BB to the rear stays.

My 2018 Vado is med and I’m 5’5”. Changing out a stem to change the reach is very common. Lots of options out there.
Still have the Bloks display with no plans to change it. Works great and I can use a phone app for additional data.
Starting my 4th cycling season soon (if the weather warms a bit) with it and it has been a rock solid machine. Love it! If it died tomorrow I would immediately get another.
As far as riding the bike with the power off, it’s not fun all. Heavy but guess it would be doable.
I would think the seller would let you test ride it. And if it’s a great price, better hurry!
Post a pic 😀😁

Just a followup, the bike was 100 miles away and sold before i could get there, oh well.
Still Looking and thanks
If you could find a Turbo Vado 5.0 with the 1.3 motor and 604 wh battery in a large frame that would probably be better for you anyways. I have the 2020 Turbo Vado 4.0, my wife has the 2020 Turbo Vado 5.0. I do sort of regret not getting the 5.0 for me, as her 604 battery range is about 20% farther than my 500, due in part to her being 50+ lbs lighter. I thought about trying to find a 604 battery for me but they are nearly impossible to find and extremely expensive. As an experiment, I swapped out the batteries between the 5.0 and 4.0 and after a 14.5 mile ride yesterday, using the same level of assistance along the way, we ended with her at 74% remaining (with the 500) and me at 71% remaining (with the 604) so our range is much closer now. FYI, I didn’t tell her about the swap until after the ride and reporting the result. She quibbled that I was jealous of her 5.0 and wanted to bring her bike down a notch, but agreed having matching range was a good thing. I am happier now, and we both agreed that getting this accomplished without spending a small fortune was a good thing!

02-21-2021 5:45 pm Update: My wife an I just returned from a 27 mile ride, ridden at the same level of assist with matching Mission Control settings. Her 2020 Turbo Vado 5.0 with the 500 wh battery had 50% charge remaining, my 2020 Turbo Vado 4.0 with the 604 wh battery had 41% remaining, so a lot closer than we were before I swapped the batteries!

Last edited:
If you could find a Turbo Vado 5.0 with the 1.3 motor and 604 wh battery in a large frame that would probably be better for you anyways. I have the 2020 Turbo Vado 4.0, my wife has the 2020 Turbo Vado 5.0. I do sort of regret not getting the 5.0 for me, as her 604 battery range is about 20% farther than my 500, due in part to her being 50+ lbs lighter. I thought about trying to find a 604 battery for me but they are nearly impossible to find and extremely expensive. As an experiment, I swapped out the batteries between the 5.0 and 4.0 and after a 14.5 mile ride yesterday, using the same level of assistance along the way, we ended with her at 74% remaining (with the 500) and me at 71% remaining (with the 604) so our range is much closer now. FYI, I didn’t tell her about the swap until after the ride and reporting the result. She quibbled that I was jealous of her 5.0 and wanted to bring her bike down a notch, but agreed having matching range was a good thing. I am happier now, and we both agreed that getting this accomplished without spending a small fortune was a good thing!
I'd love to find a specialized large Vado but you know how few and far between they are on the resale market, plus i'm in the NE, the market appears much more active on the west coast, esp, SF/North CA area. All those silicon hipsters i guess :)
I originally came onto this forum with the idea that there would be an active marketplace and i could find my first bike from a dedicated ebiker, not much here either. On the car forums guys are always trading around their stuff.

Last edited:
I'd love to find a specialized large Vado but you know how few and far between they are on the resale market, plus i'm in the NE, the market appears much more active on the west coast, esp, SF/North CA area. All those silicon hipsters i guess :)
We do have more of them out west here in Sacramento, due to the longer riding season and the nice bike trail system, the high is 71 degrees today, so we will likely ride this afternoon, maybe 20 miles or so. Once you own a Turbo Vado, most people hold onto them, unless there is some extraordinary reason for selling (ie. health, moving, employment change, upgrading from a 3.0 to a 4.0 or 5.0 and etc.), so don't give up, keep looking, one may come along. If you can even find one near to you, the new ones are expensive, but as you can see from reading the posts on this forum, most owners are extremely happy with them and feel the investment is justified.

Last edited:
Back