Sondors Ebike Review Now Live

Read the review and didn't understand the lengthy discussion of battery fires and your warning.. I don't remember reading about this type of concern on other bike reviews, do you?

Is there something about the Samsung cells or the battery charger used in the Sondors that makes them more prone to fires than other eBikes? Were there any reported fires from Sondors owners?

Just seems like scare tactics if you have no actual data or user experience that makes Sondors bike more susceptible to fires, meriting the warning.

Read the review and didn't understand the lengthy discussion of battery fires and your warning.. I don't remember reading about this type of concern on other bike reviews, do you?

Is there something about the Samsung cells or the battery charger used in the Sondors that makes them more prone to fires than other eBikes? Were there any reported fires from Sondors owners?

Just seems like scare tactics if you have no actual data or user experience that makes Sondors bike more susceptible to fires, meriting the warning.

Batteries with cheaper chemistries can be less stable and especially if there's no BMS, it will increase the risk of fire. Cheap/poor quality chargers will also increase the risk of fire.

Not sure where all your paranoid angst is coming from.

Nice review Court. :)

Batteries with cheaper chemistries can be less stable and especially if there's no BMS, it will increase the risk of fire. Cheap/poor quality chargers will also increase the risk of fire.

Not sure where all your paranoid angst is coming from.

Nice review Court. :)

Folks should note that you say things like 'cheaper chemistries' and 'no BMS'. Why? It does not appear to be correct, or even close to correct.

The pack lists the cells as being 22P Samsungs. (Video @ 29:02). That is a cell used by some very respectable people. That type of battery pack is very common, and it always seems to include a BMS.

A charger is not very complicated. They make millions of them. I doubt you will find much difference between his charger and what comes with any basic ebike.

Yeah, I know. Everything is probably a fake and the bikes will turn into pumpkins on the first of August. I've found a solution. I'm placing you in the "Ignore" group.

Folks should note that you say things like 'cheaper chemistries' and 'no BMS'. Why? It does not appear to be correct, or even close to correct.

The pack lists the cells as being 22P Samsungs. (Video @ 29:02). That is a cell used by some very respectable people. That type of battery pack is very common, and it always seems to include a BMS.

A charger is not very complicated. They make millions of them. I doubt you will find much difference between his charger and what comes with any basic ebike.

Yeah, I know. Everything is probably a fake and the bikes will turn into pumpkins on the first of August. I've found a solution. I'm placing you in the "Ignore" group.
I've no idea of the chemistry of the battery in the Sondors bike nor do I know if it has a BMS - I was just stating a "for instance". As for the charger, cheap chargers can and do cause fires - if the Sondors bike has one of them, I've no idea but it's a good guess that it isn't an expensive one.

It seems that some people are overly sensitive when it comes to this bike and it's just bizarre.

I think the lowest entry price of this ebike was around $750, for the first level of funders ?

Even at that low price , I estimate Sondor is making a good profit. Heres my rough break down :

1. cost of just the bike - $100
2. cost of batterycharge - $125
3. cost of controller / motor unit - $100
4. cost to ship each ebike - $75
5. cost to assemble each ebike at factory - $20

The mass production of this ebike allows each component to be manufactured and assembled at lot lower then any of us could build it for. Since they are being shipped in large quantity , that greatly cuts down the shipping costs on sondors end.

Gotta give credit to Sondors for being the 1st person to mass produce a good looking ,functional electric fatbike that had a attractive price point
using quality battery technology ,instead of lead acid batterys.

Im kind of hoping, that Sondors considers taking his millions in profits , and brings a HIGH END good looking ebike to market at a fair price point.

I was in the first wave and happened to pick the Black/Yellow combo, so I received my bike last week and was pleasantly surprised. I've no e-bike experience and following the campaign (with a little skin in it) was a good diversion for the last 5 months. I have a road bike (cannondale R700) and a mountain bike (cannondale F600) and probably ride 1-2k miles a summer, trainer in the winter. Anyway, gave my money away to Indiegogo/Sondors on a complete whim, which was crazy because I never get sucked into these things, completely aware of the “too good to be true” rule. I’ve always spent money on bikes though, and have never regretted it, so I thought, what the hey. I thought of the commute to work being a bit easier.
So far, I prefer to pedal my road bike when I do commute (18 mi. each way), but would have no problem packing the charger and charging at work with no worries about range.
I've only ridden it about 4 times and only a couple miles, and at first was shocked at how easy it was to pedal without using the throttle. The weight and those huge tires? It was about as easy as my road bike, if not easier. Well, obviously, when I took it out again the second time, I turned off the controller and realized I was experiencing the pedal assist. It’s obvious now, because if you only turn the crank with very little human assist, the bike will begin to accelerate on its own. Being new to e-bikes, what a great feature.
Just this last weekend, my wife took it when I went on a quick 15 mile ride on my road bike and she primarily used the peddle assist and occasionally using the throttle and it really opened up a new option for us to get out together when exercising. She’s a runner, I’m a biker and we rarely exercise together, except when walking.
This whole campaign has really opened my eyes to the potential of e-bikes and can see myself buying another this summer, currently checking out the new Specialized road bike and the Easy Motion Neo.
Anyway, it was great to finally see Court’s review and really appreciated the honesty and even addressing some of the concerns regarding theoretical battery issues and the general use of inexpensive components.

But, like some of the other posters, I think missing the pedal assist (for whatever reason) really misses one of the primary features of the bike. Would it be possible for him (whenever convenient) to take another spin and evaluate how it works compared to the other bikes?

Great feedback Peddler! Welcome to the site. I guess we can close the chapter on pedal assist in regards to the Sondors bike (the Sondors bike has it). Peddler described it beautifully.
For those of you who receive this bike, looks like you got good bang for the buck!

Just this last weekend, my wife took it when I went on a quick 15 mile ride on my road bike and she primarily used the peddle assist and occasionally using the throttle and it really opened up a new option for us to get out together when exercising. She’s a runner, I’m a biker and we rarely exercise together, except when walking.
Interesting, does your pedal assist activate automatically when you pedal? My bike rode unpowered unless I was using the throttle, you can see a moment in the ride test where I begin pedaling hard and stand up, that was all human power and I was trying to get a sense for how difficult it was to ride without the motor. From what you're saying, it sounds like assist should engage automatically when pedaling? You don't have an LCD display or other extra parts installed do you? I keep hearing about a new display coming out "someday" to allow operation of assist but it sounds like you're saying it's already active? My bike did not come with instructions (aside from the charger warning paper) did yours? This might be part of the confusion.

Interesting, does your pedal assist activate automatically when you pedal? My bike rode unpowered unless I was using the throttle, you can see a moment in the ride test where I begin pedaling hard and stand up, that was all human power and I was trying to get a sense for how difficult it was to ride without the motor. From what you're saying, it sounds like assist should engage automatically when pedaling? You don't have an LCD display or other extra parts installed do you? I keep hearing about a new display coming out "someday" to allow operation of assist but it sounds like you're saying it's already active? My bike did not come with instructions (aside from the charger warning paper) did yours? This might be part of the confusion.
Kind of amusing to the owners that the resident "expert reviewer" appears to be clueless. Yes, the PAS is activated "out of the box." There is no LCD display necessary for it to work. You only need the battery turned on and pedal.

Kind of amusing to the owners that the resident "expert reviewer" appears to be clueless. Yes, the PAS is activated "out of the box." There is no LCD display necessary for it to work. You only need the battery turned on and pedal.
I wonder why it is that the Sondors bike generates so much trolling?

So the question then is, why wasn't Court's bike giving him pedal assistance? I would think he would be able to hear that motor whir, right?

So the question then is, why wasn't Court's bike giving him pedal assistance? I would think he would be able to hear that motor whir, right?

Yes, I think that's a more productive question - I guess he either he had a duff bike delivered or whoever put it together missed something. And I wonder how common that is...

ok. I did not have time to watch the review past the timelapse of assembly ;-)
Yes, this is a problem with many of Courts utube review. Many people do not wish to spend time watching Court talk about meaningless things like :

bottle holders, fenders, tail lights and horns.

I have tried to advise Court, that his videos may gain many more viewers, if he concentrated on the IMPORTANT aspects of these ebikes, in the very beginning of the videos..things like :

PRICE - MOTOR WATTAGE- BATTERY VOLTAGE-AMP HOURS - CHARGERS AMPERAGE OUTPUT.

Court spends to much initial time, discussing very bland and useless aspects on these ebikes. ...and he has a bad habit of constantly putting his hands in view of the camera where it may be better to use a RED LASER POINTER or a collapsable antenna , to highlight certain areas of the ebike.

Court does a nice service for us, by reviewing these ebikes, but the methods he uses to review them, could be greatly improved IMHO.
Its almost as though he likes to hear his own voice, way to ,much when he does these reviews, and I think it hurts his view potential on ebay.

Back