Smart e-Bike - looking for a connected bike

Fontastique

Region
Europe
Hello all!
I am currently looking for an e-Bike that has some smart features like GPS tracking, movement detection alarm, remote lock/unlock, and so forth...
Does anyone have any feedback on some these and are the connected features really worth it? Do the apps really work?

Thanks for your feedback!

I do not want to start with being sarcastic but one of the companies to claim the features you are asking for (VanMoof) is now near to bankruptcy :)

I hear the new Bosch E-Bike Smart System is not bad. As I am more for riding (and ride data acquisition/analysis) than for the gadgetry, I prefer Specialized e-bikes connected to a Wahoo.

The issue is connected services are moving to a subscription model, for example the new generation Bosch Smart System e-bike models that pair with the Bosch Flow phone app require the owner pay extra to have a dealer install a ConnectModule hardware and subscribe to a Flow+ app to take advantage of tracking. If you want to see turn-by-turn GPS directions from the paired phone Flow app on the e-bike display, you may need to pay extra to upgrade to the Kiox display. As Stefan mentioned VanMoof appears to be on the verge of bankruptcy in part because they burned through venture capital money while providing free connected services and bike retrieval. An inexpensive alternative would be to mount an AirTag somewhere on the bike, and an increasing number of manufacturers are providing 'hidden' spaces on e-bikes to mount an AirTag. I like brands that are realistic about theft and offer a discount on locks, or a replacement bike (Pedego & Vvolt in the US), or insurance.

Last edited:
Thanks for your answers,
Yes, I have read that Vanmoof is going under but at the same time, it seems that more and more bikes come with connected tech.
I was just looking for some return on experience on these bikes.
Does the alarm system really work? Are they really tracable?
The reason I don't want to add an Airtag is that I think they are now easily findable by bike thieves, and that a smart e-bike has a system integrated in the frame.

Ok, VanMoof pioneered the 'connected e-bike' model and went under doing so. They were using a lot of custom made parts and hence remained a niche product. Servicing customers became a nightmare.
Then Bosch came with the Smart system, Flow app and the optional connect module that can be retrofitted by a dealer.
Living in The Netherlands, I recently bought a Sparta (a renowned Dutch bicycle brand on par with Gazelle) e-bike with the 2023 Smart system.
My experience so far with the Smart system is rather pleasant.
The Flow app is really well made and offers a lot of features, from tuning your motor and riding modes to your liking, to OTA updates that get pushed to the bike where in the past you needed to visit the dealer for updating the firmware or unlock new modes or features.
In the Flow app, using a registered Bosch account tied to the system, you can pair your e-bike to your phone and use the phone as a key. Once locked, in case of theft, the Bosch system doesn't start and becomes unusable as soon as it leaves the vicinity of your phone. That doesn't prevent the bike from being stolen, of course. But all of this comes at no extra costs. The lock and unlock sounds are cool.

Then there is the Bosch subscription model. Flow+ app in combination with a Bosch Connect Module that, in most cases, needs to be retrofitted.
It offers alarm and track and trace features as a paid service. At first I was a bit hesitant, but after I got a theft and damage insurance with full coverage for 5 years, I decided to pass and instead, invest in a couple of good locks.

On top of that, the more renowned Dutch e-bile makers offer their own paid subscription models with a SIM card integrated in the frame, that could get you a discount with an insurance company.
I researched that possibility but decided to pass after learning that there was only one insurance company offering such a discount for my make.

FWIW, guy at Van Moof in San Francisco said they have been bought and new owner is working on licensing 3rd party shops to service the bikes, something that seems obvious. Their security includes finding your stolen bike! Which I imagine would work great in San Francisco, but if you lived in, say, Park City Utah, how the heck are they going to send someone out to find your bike?

Back