Smart Bike trainer

WilliamT

I remember the last time I used a bike trainer was over 30 years ago. It had a little flywheel on the back with the rear wheel sitting on a cylinder while you clamped the front forks to the trainer frame.

I don't ride as much as I used to; may a century ride every few weeks over the weekend. To get more riding in, I purchased a trainer for connecting to a regular road bike. When Performance Bikes went out of business, I was able to pick up a Fuji that I never used.

The trainer these days is the reverse of what I had before. The rear wheel is mounted to the frame and the front wheel sits on a ground. When connected to an app, you can feel the hills come up on the route as your climbing hills. As you go downhill, you can hear the rear wheel clicking as your coasting down.

I picked up a Saris H3 at Rei during the anniversary sale last week at 20% off. It's been a lot of fun trying out the different apps.

That 20 lb flywheel was so heavy initially that I was tempted to slap on a BBS02 and just lay the battery on the ground. 😂

I decided to leave it alone. That would just be too cruel. I'm currently using Rouvy and will try Zwift later. It's a different experience but fun.

Some of those routes in Italy are crazy steep.

IMG_20200526_105624.jpg I was surprised it is made in US and much cheaper than the Wahoo Kicker.

IMG_20200526_105647.jpg No need to make it aero. Slapped on a riser stem and use the tt bars to relax on flats.

IMG_20200526_105603.jpg I have the fan running to stay cool as I ride.

I remember the last time I used a bike trainer was over 30 years ago. It had a little flywheel on the back with the rear wheel sitting on a cylinder while you clamped the front forks to the trainer frame.

I don't ride as much as I used to; may a century ride every few weeks over the weekend. To get more riding in, I purchased a trainer for connecting to a regular road bike. When Performance Bikes went out of business, I was able to pick up a Fuji that I never used.

The trainer these days is the reverse of what I had before. The rear wheel is mounted to the frame and the front wheel sits on a ground. When connected to an app, you can feel the hills come up on the route as your climbing hills. As you go downhill, you can hear the rear wheel clicking as your coasting down.

I picked up a Saris H3 at Rei during the anniversary sale last week at 20% off. It's been a lot of fun trying out the different apps.

That 20 lb flywheel was so heavy initially that I was tempted to slap on a BBS02 and just lay the battery on the ground. 😂

I decided to leave it alone. That would just be too cruel. I'm currently using Rouvy and will try Zwift later. It's a different experience but fun.

Some of those routes in Italy are crazy steep.

View attachment 53444 I was surprised it is made in US and much cheaper than the Wahoo Kicker.

View attachment 53445 No need to make it aero. Slapped on a riser stem and use the tt bars to relax on flats.

View attachment 53446 I have the fan running to stay cool as I ride.

Got a Saris H3 at the start of the year, 4 months later, due to me been in isolation because of a medical condition, I have 4000 miles on it. Fantastic piece of equipment, having used Wahoo before, I much prefer the Saris. Very realistic pedalling action. I too have settled on Rouvy after trying all the others. Are you aware that it's possible to adjust the ride resistance? When I got the Saris the resistance seemed stronger than the Wahoo, my times were down. I mentioned this to the LBS, they told me other purchasers had mentioned this too. I found one of the routes "Pock Pedal 15" is near were I live (very near) the main climb is called Nunburnholme. It tops out around 17% Now I climb Nun at least twice a week and have done for years. On any giving day of the year, I can climb it at 10-12mph the first time I tried it on Rouvy I was down to 4-5mph. Following further Rouvy "rides" I knew it wasn't me! Then I found in the settings that it's possible to alter the resistance. Decades experiences of racing and general riding, including all the big TDFrance climbs helped me find that for me, the "reality" set at 70% replicates life like conditions. Only problem for me? I can't enter Rouvy races? You have to race in RACE MODE at 100% resistance. I would never get up the hills on this setting. I should add the Saris is earily quiet, solidly built, can highly recommend it and the app Rouvy also.

I've notice that I ride much slower in the app than in real life too. I'll have to figure out how to change the resistance.

thanks!

Jaxx, so 70% replicates real life conditions? That is weird, I wonder why.

Can you just ride you Gain on the trainer to enter Rouvy races or is your trainer one where you remove the rear wheel?

You have to remove rear wheel.

Attachments

• 20200115_153954_resized.jpg
    20200115_153954_resized.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 276
I've notice that I ride much slower in the app than in real life too. I'll have to figure out how to change the resistance.

thanks!

Before you start the ride, press pause. Then press the "hamburger" button too right. Takes you to a page with a few options, to into settings. There are various options for now you view on screen, scroll down near the foot is a option "Reality" Here in percentages you can adjust the resistance.

Back