Similar to Cross Core ?

e-boy

Looking at the Cross Core for a relatively light weight full powered (drive & battery) touring ebike that can be pedaled if needed like a regular bike .
What else is out there ?
Which bikes did you look at before you bought the Cross Core ?

I’ve had a Cross Core for 15 months and like a lot. Got it because it was light weight so I can carry up some stairs (without battery) and kind of looked like a regular bike without the battery, which made me feel l could lock it outside for a couple hours for errands, etc. in NYC where I live and use for commuting.

I considered the trek verve 2 but thought cross core was more responsive, esp when stopped at red light. Also tried specialized vado and como but was worried about weight and thought they were more theft magnets. Both rode well for me, though. Also considered Luna Stealth but didn’twant to buy sight unseen or have to bring it right to a shop as there seem to be a couple things need tuning out of the box.

In the end it was the weight and fact it seemed to me most like a bike and less of a theft magnet.

Also tried van moof2 and didn’t like at all. Thought no power. But given what I’ve read about new version, that might be the one I’d buy today - if it does have more power as I’ve read. Price is much better (2k) and essentially comes with lifetime insurance for $300 extra. Or maybe that’s just for for 3 years but I pay more now Per year for insurance thru velosurance and I have a $200 deductible....

Advice I give to people is to do test rides — as many as you can before buying — a couple times each bike if possible. I ride my ebike for longer stretches than I did my last bike and ended up wanting a more comfortable relaxed ride. I didn’t realize that until I had bought it and used a few times. Cross connect is more upright than cross core so be aware of that if it’s an issue for you. Trek and Specialized if I recall correctly we’re also more upright.

I ended up getting new handlebars which were higher up. Cost a bunch extra. That was one mistake I made which i would have realized if I tested out more. But in the end I’m happy with it.

Sorry, I’m rambling and typing from phone Hope this helps. Good luck!

Looking at the Cross Core for a relatively lightweight full-powered (drive & battery) touring ebike that can be pedaled if needed like a regular bike.
What else is out there?
Which bikes did you look at before you bought the Cross Core?

Here is the recent Cross Core review from EBR.

If you like the Cross Core, take a look at the Civante... Class-3 speeds of 28 mph.

forgot to mention flat handlebar preferred , but I'll check the Yamaha drop bar offerings .

I expect the next version of the CrossConnect or Yamaha's next commuter model will offer class three .
I'm ok with 20mph max .
The Yamaha drive has great torque . Would like to see a 625 battery but 500 is acceptable .

Yes ! Where is Yamaha's dual battery tech ?
For 2020 Giant is offering Yamaha drive's with 375 batteries and 240 booster .

Yes ! Where is Yamaha's dual battery tech?
For 2020 Giant is offering Yamaha drive's with 375 batteries and 240 booster.

Yamaha now offers a 600 Wh integrated battery... ;)

1600116826542.png

Looking at the Cross Core for a relatively light weight full powered (drive & battery) touring ebike that can be pedaled if needed like a regular bike .
What else is out there ?
Which bikes did you look at before you bought the Cross Core ?
At this price point, I’m not sure what I’d choose over the Cross Core. Mid drive, plenty of torque, decent components, relatively lightweight. It has a lot going for it.

At this price point, I’m not sure what I’d choose over the Cross Core. Mid drive, plenty of torque, decent components, relatively lightweight. It has a lot going for it.
Yes ; just curious what else is out there with similar spec , even at a higher price point ; up to 4k .

Yes ; just curious what else is out there with similar spec , even at a higher price point ; up to 4k .

This is a nice alternative... ;)

I looked at the Civante, the cross connect, and the cross core. Really liked the Civante, but I couldn't justify the extra $1000. Hopefully I will have my cross core by the end of the week.
E-boy, just curious, what lbs in NY did you use. I purchased mine through Greenpath in Brooklyn, and they seem like a decent shop..

I began researching Ebikes for my step daughter. I have been a fairly serious cyclist for most of my 66 years, and I thought that Ebikes were only for those that didn’t have the fitness or desire to ride a fully manual bike, (I was very wrong). The research led to the question of which class she wanted. She thought Class 1 was it, (she ended up buying a class 2 bike). Together, we tested a lot of bikes and to my surprise, the Ebikes made my wife want to start riding again. We narrowed down the choices by weight, torque, handling, quality, price, warranty and reliability. That narrowed the choices down to the Cross Core for the riding that we wanted to do.

The riding position is more like a traditional mountain bike, which helps the rider to get the most power out of their legs and it makes handling better than an overly upright position while remaining comfortable. The bike handles very well and is quite efficient and pleasant even without power. The only problem was that when we went for our first, longer ride together, she would out-climb me on the steeper hills, (I was on my Wilier GT-R Carbon road bike), but the rest of the time I was riding well above her assistance. Long story over, the bikes were not compatible, so I bought a Cross Core of my own, and I love it.

As a typical cyclist, I felt that I had to make changes, (the bike is fine as is). Kathy’s bike got a Salsa 17 degree sweep Deluxe Bend handlebar, Thudbuster seatpost, Look pedals and 37mm Continental Topcontact tires, (Kathy is reluctant to upgrade hers further). Mine got the same handlebar upgrade along with inner barends, TRP Spyke brakes, Jagwire compressionless brake cables, Tiara 4700 drivetrain, Cane Creek carbon eesilk gravel seatpost, Spank Oozy pedals, Fizik Aliante saddle and 40mm Maxxis Receptor tires.

Even after all of the upgrades, my Cross Core is still less expensive than a Yamaha Wabash and it is well set up for road, rail trails and gravel, (I would have changed the seatpost, saddle and tires on the Wabash too, so I don’t include that cost). Very long story over, even though I would have enjoyed class 3 performance, it would have been a poor choice because I want to ride and enjoy the ride with my wife, so I leave mine on Eco or Eco + and she uses the assistance that she chooses and we can enjoy the pleasure of riding together again. Bikes are a personal choice, and very few are perfect right out of the box, so we picked bikes that were a good platform to become the bike that we each desired. It’s not the flashiest bike around, but that’s fine with me.
F134A081-F649-4F4A-A8CA-C916C835C2A1.jpeg

Last edited:
Back