Shred Downtube Rattle

Bobv190

Region
USA
I have a 2020 Shred that has developed a nasty rattle in the upper part of the downtube where the cables enter the frame. Has anyone experienced anything similar and if so are there any fixes. It is extremely annoying especially on rough single track trails.

if you lift up the front is the steering smooth? are the cables doing it? I would bounce it up and down and see if you can find what it is.

There are some things you do not want to do.
1647991476925.jpeg

Attachments

• GreatStuff03.JPG
    GreatStuff03.JPG
    274.1 KB · Views: 156
MANY of the newer bikes have the controller just sort of stuffed into the frame. It's VERY possible for these to rattle like crazy.

if you lift up the front is the steering smooth? are the cables doing it? I would bounce it up and down and see if you can find what it is.
Yea, steering is fine. It is definitely in the top section of the down tube. I can smack it with my hand and produce the same sound. I am guessing that there are some electronics housed in that area.

ya it can be a pain to find a rattle. check all fasteners and wiggle everything. I had a chunk from a bar grip inside my bars that rattled. was a pain to get out.

I finally got around to removing the controller. It was definitely the source of the rattle. After I removed it. I put a piece of foam (the sheet type used for packing) on the bottom of the downtube where the controller sits, and also attached a piece to both sides of the controller. Put it all back together and no more rattle.

I have ridden a few times on some rough single track since and the rattle hasn't returned. So hopefully that fixes it. Nice to be able to ride the bike without that supper annoying rattling.

Back