Shipping Personal Electric Bikes With Battery

J.R.

Region
USA
City
Piedmont Highlands
Shipping electric bikes can be a real hassle due to batteries, bike size and weight. When you want to sell a bike or ship a bike back to a seller or ship a bike to your new home it can be problematic.

I contacted ShipBikes last week to learn more about their services. I specifically asked about ebike shipping with hazmat batteries and was told they do provide that service, ground only. They claim that they frequently ship ebikes and have designed boxes for them. So if it cannot get from A to B by truck, this service will not work.

They offer a variety of boxes and cases, some specifically for heavy ebikes. You can also add GPS tracking. Boxes can be dropped off at the local shipper or picked up at your door.

They have a well designed website:

Cool. I got a test quote from central PA to Raleigh NC insured for $2000. Says $117 and 2 days delivery. Not cheap but way less than I expected and faster than anything else. They also sell boxes and hardside cases for bikes upto 100 pounds. It's such a tiny niche market, I hope it works out for them. I would use it it I was flying.

Cool. I got a test quote from central PA to Raleigh NC insured for $2000. Says $117 and 2 days delivery. Not cheap but way less than I expected and faster than anything else. They also sell boxes and hardside cases for bikes upto 100 pounds. It's such a tiny niche market, I hope it works out for them. I would use it it I was flying.
$117 is still cheaper than renting a bike for a week at your destination. You also have the benefit of being able to use your own bike. Of course, there is the return trip to consider.
The service would also be attractive for those who go south for the Winter. In the short term, it would be cheaper than buying a second bike to leave at your Winter location.

Shipping electric bikes can be a real hassle due to batteries, bike size and weight. When you want to sell a bike or ship a bike back to a seller or ship a bike to your new home it can be problematic.

I contacted ShipBikes last week to learn more about their services. I specifically asked about ebike shipping with hazmat batteries and was told they do provide that service, ground only. They claim that they frequently ship ebikes and have designed boxes for them. So if it cannot get from A to B by truck, this service will not work.

They offer a variety of boxes and cases, some specifically for heavy ebikes. You can also add GPS tracking. Boxes can be dropped off at the local shipper or picked up at your door.

They have a well designed website:
Great information... thanks for posting. ;)
I noticed that the maximum bike weight was 60 lbs for ground shipping.

Shipbikes.com is the safest, most experienced, and most convenient way to ship your bicycle anywhere in the world. We ship to any destination at a great low price! Use our award-winning Aircaddy or XBike Shipper bicycle container or use your own. Why wait in long lines at the airport? Avoid the hassle. All you need is a credit card, phone or computer, and a roll of packing tape.

1. Purchase your AIRCADDY or XBike Shipper from us, or use your own bike box or hard case.
2. Pack your bicycle using the manufacturer’s instructions. Maximum weight allowed for ground shipping (including the box) is 60 pounds.
3. Go to Shipbikes.com, click on “Ship a Box” and enter your shipping and billing information (one-way shipping rates begin at $39.95). Within minutes you will receive your instruction sheet and shipping label via e-mail as a PDF attachment. Print and attach the shipping label to your packed bicycle box. Our shipping system can be used from that moment forward. If for any reason you can not ship your bicycle we will gladly give you a full refund.

Great information... thanks for posting. ;)
I noticed that the maximum bike weight was 60 lbs for ground shipping.

Shipbikes.com is the safest, most experienced, and most convenient way to ship your bicycle anywhere in the world. We ship to any destination at a great low price! Use our award-winning Aircaddy or XBike Shipper bicycle container or use your own. Why wait in long lines at the airport? Avoid the hassle. All you need is a credit card, phone or computer, and a roll of packing tape.

1. Purchase your AIRCADDY or XBike Shipper from us, or use your own bike box or hard case.
2. Pack your bicycle using the manufacturer’s instructions. Maximum weight allowed for ground shipping (including the box) is 60 pounds.
3. Go to Shipbikes.com, click on “Ship a Box” and enter your shipping and billing information (one-way shipping rates begin at $39.95). Within minutes you will receive your instruction sheet and shipping label via e-mail as a PDF attachment. Print and attach the shipping label to your packed bicycle box. Our shipping system can be used from that moment forward. If for any reason you can not ship your bicycle we will gladly give you a full refund.
According to what they told me on the phone, air shipping with their AirCaddy is limited to 60 pounds. Ground shipping to the lower 48 has a max weight of 100 pounds.

Shipping Container:
Cardboard Box (either new or recycled), weight limit 100 lbs.
To reduce damages on non-electric bicycles we recommend a weight limit of 55 lbs.
Electric bicycles with lithium-ion batteries can not be shipped to Alaska or Hawaii.

All electric bicycles must have the batteries installed in the bicycle.

Soft-sided bicycle containers are designed for air or car travel and are not designed to be shipped via companies like Fedex, UPS or DHL. These soft-sided containers may not protect against the handling that occurs during shipping unless they are encased in a cardboard outer shell. Only the contents (bicycle or parts) of all containers can be insured, the container itself is not covered.

Hard Plastic Bicycle Case, weight limit 75 lbs.

AirCaddy (triangular container 58" x 22" x 31"), weight limit 60 lbs.

ShipBike Box 3690 or 3692, weight limit 100 lbs.

xBike Shipper (43" x 11" x 32"), weight limit 60 lbs.

eWheelShipper Box (for 2 wheels only, 42" x 7" x 27"), weight limit 25 lbs.

Service Type:
SHIPBIKES.COM DROP-OFF SERVICE (no extra charge)
Purchase a prepaid shipbikes.com label online and take your bicycle container to any FedEx World Service Center® or FedEx Office. By shipping via FedEx Ground®, your bicycle is delivered in 1-5 business days to any home or business address in the contiguous U.S. To find FedEx drop-off locations, many of which are open 24 hours, call 1-800-GoFedEx (1-800-463-3339).

SHIPBIKES.COM DOOR TO DOOR SERVICE ($5.25 extra charge)
To schedule a pick-up, you must first purchase a prepaid ShipBikes.com label online. Please purchase your label by 12 midnight for pickup the next day. Ship your bicycle from any home Or business address to any other home Or business address within the contiguous U.S. via FedEx Ground®

edit: I don't have experience shipping yet, so I can't say for sure if there will be issues. I thought it worth posting the info I obtained because we've had many discussions on the forum about shipping.

Last edited:
According to what they told me on the phone, air shipping with their AirCaddy is limited to 60 pounds. Ground shipping to the lower 48 has a max weight of 100 pounds.

Shipping Container:
Cardboard Box (either new or recycled), weight limit 100 lbs.
To reduce damages on non-electric bicycles we recommend a weight limit of 55 lbs.
Electric bicycles with lithium-ion batteries can not be shipped to Alaska or Hawaii.

All electric bicycles must have the batteries installed in the bicycle.

Soft-sided bicycle containers are designed for air or car travel and are not designed to be shipped via companies like Fedex, UPS or DHL. These soft-sided containers may not protect against the handling that occurs during shipping unless they are encased in a cardboard outer shell. Only the contents (bicycle or parts) of all containers can be insured, the container itself is not covered.

Hard Plastic Bicycle Case, weight limit 75 lbs.

AirCaddy (triangular container 58" x 22" x 31"), weight limit 60 lbs.

ShipBike Box 3690 or 3692, weight limit 100 lbs.

xBike Shipper (43" x 11" x 32"), weight limit 60 lbs.

eWheelShipper Box (for 2 wheels only, 42" x 7" x 27"), weight limit 25 lbs.

Service Type:
SHIPBIKES.COM DROP-OFF SERVICE (no extra charge)
Purchase a prepaid shipbikes.com label online and take your bicycle container to any FedEx World Service Center® or FedEx Office. By shipping via FedEx Ground®, your bicycle is delivered in 1-5 business days to any home or business address in the contiguous U.S. To find FedEx drop-off locations, many of which are open 24 hours, call 1-800-GoFedEx (1-800-463-3339).

SHIPBIKES.COM DOOR TO DOOR SERVICE ($5.25 extra charge)
To schedule a pick-up, you must first purchase a prepaid ShipBikes.com label online. Please purchase your label by 12 midnight for pickup the next day. Ship your bicycle from any home Or business address to any other home Or business address within the contiguous U.S. via FedEx Ground®

edit: I don't have experience shipping yet, so I can't say for sure if there will be issues. I thought it worth posting the info I obtained because we've had many discussions on the forum about shipping.
I think this would help snowbirds a lot. Beats air shipping ...

Back