Shimano E-Tube Ride App

StuartKuz

Region
USA
City
Longmont CO
This is a cross posting from 'Parts and Accessories'

I'm riding a loaner bike until mine is ready. It uses Shimano Steps components as will mine, DU-E6100 motor, BT-E8010 battery, SC-E7000 display, and the SE-E6000 switch. The display is too small for me so I've installed E-Tube Project and E-Tube Ride on my cell phone. The Project shows all components are up todate. The Ride has great flexibility allowing you to choose many data fields to show. However, nowhere can I find which fields are being populated by this Steps configuration. The power field (Pwr) does not show any data. I'm looking for a way to determine when to shift by seeing how hard the motor needs to work. Anyone know how to get the power field to provide data or another way to get shift recommendations? This bike not have the automatic shifting or the Di2.

Attachments

• E-Tube 6.png
    E-Tube 6.png
    675.3 KB · Views: 181
  • E-Tube 4.png
    E-Tube 4.png
    695.1 KB · Views: 191
I've got a bike with the E6100 as well, but I haven't used the Ride app in a long time (have the larger SC-E6100 display).

IIRC, the power field in the app is to display the rider's input, which requires cranks with the Shimano power meter tech, which normally don't come with e-bikes.

The app shows how much the motor power is outputting via one of the two rings around the the speed in your "e-tube 4.png" image. and rises from the 6 o'clock position in a counterclockwise direction.

Again, that's what I recall, but I haven't used the app in some time. The SC-E6100 display has a built in motor output bar.

Most of your shifting/mode selection should be governed by feel, just like a pedal bike though. Once you get a feel for the motor, it'll become second nature pretty quickly.

IIRC, the power field in the app is to display the rider's input, which requires cranks with the Shimano power meter tech, which normally don't come with e-bikes.
Sorry?
Specialized e-bikes all deliver the Rider's Power from the motor's torque and cadence sensors, Bluetooth or ANT+
Giant e-bikes do the same.
Bosch motors with Kiox or Nyon displays also deliver the Rider's Power to the display or to the Bosch app.

I cannot understand why Shimano mid-drive motors (that also use the torque and cadence sensors to determine the Rider's Power which is the whole essence of a mid-drive motor) should not deliver the Rider's Power to the app. Why should the Shimano Power Meter technology be used if the motor knows everything about the rider's torque and cadence?

I've got a bike with the E6100 as well, but I haven't used the Ride app in a long time (have the larger SC-E6100 display).

The app shows how much the motor power is outputting via one of the two rings around the the speed in your "e-tube 4.png" image. and rises from the 6 o'clock position in a counterclockwise direction.

Again, that's what I recall, but I haven't used the app in some time. The SC-E6100 display has a built in motor output bar.

Most of your shifting/mode selection should be governed by feel, just like a pedal bike though. Once you get a feel for the motor, it'll become second nature pretty quickly.
Thanks! I've now noticed that ring around the speed display and saw it change color to display the assist mode. That was cool. I'll agree with Stefan that it should be easy to populate the 'pwr' field. Was it an easy swap to the SC-E6100? Is it legible for older well used eyes? Th SC-E7000 is just so small and I like to check cadence as well as speed.

Thanks! I've now noticed that ring around the speed display and saw it change color to display the assist mode. That was cool. I'll agree with Stefan that it should be easy to populate the 'pwr' field. Was it an easy swap to the SC-E6100? Is it legible for older well used eyes? Th SC-E7000 is just so small and I like to check cadence as well as speed.
My bike came with the 6100 display, but from what I've read it should be a straight up swap out since the two use the same SD50 cables. You'll just need the little Shimano cable puller tool (my bike came with it as part of the tool kit).

I'd recommend double checking with the bike dealer and/or Shimano first of course, but here's a chart that shows which displays work with which cables...

1688572525977.png

I'm wondering if people with an EP8 could chime in on whether power data is output to the app. I only ask because the EP8 is much more customizable than the E6100.

One thing I wanted to add re the 6100 display...

It's a chonky display. I love that it's removeable, but it uses dual arms that straddle the stem, so it eats up some real estate. Here's a pick that shows the display with the bar mounts to help with scale. :)

1688582434757.png

I've been toying with the idea of going display free with the EW-EN100, since my watch displays the most pertinent information...
Either that, or trying to jury-rig my own more slim mount for the 6100. :)

Yep.

I think the question was specifically about the PWR from the rider being displayed in-app.
@StuartKuz I tried the app with my set-up, and PWR was blank for me as well.

Since it's a measure of user input, I don't know if it's a limitation of the specific motor, or if Shimano reserves that field for selling power meters like the Dura-Ace cranks. :)

Back