Shimano 355/365 vs Junitech (Bolton) brakes

murbot

Region
USA
City
MOUNT AIRY, MD USA
What's the performance diff between Shimano's 355/365 brake system and Juintech (Bolton's) calipers?
Can't find Shimano or anything like it since summer 2021.
We can adjust the levers with Shimano, but not with Juintech. If Juintech is not truly hydraulic, then is the primary difference that it squeezes from both sides, but doesn't have hydraulic lines to bleed? Wouldn't Juintech still need regular adjustments every week or two?

Looking for Mini 4 upgrades.
Thanks

Thanks, Timpo. That clears my confusion with the JuinTech cals and confirms some other things I was unsure about.

The Magura's are out of stock same as Shimano. My plan is to upgrade the power and likely the motor as well over the next few months...as certain parts become available. Mostly to get up hills without dragging. I'd like to upgrade brakes first, but it's a new bike, so I'll just be extra cautious until I can install a good hydraulic.
I'm still new to eBikes so what defines one set of hydraulic brakes as good vs another hasn't yet become entirely clear to me. I figured the Shimano 355's would be safe bet and a simple install for a first time hydraulic user. I'm sure there are others equally simple to install and reliable.

The NUTT's look decent, but like I said..."what do I know?" I would guess at that price, they may not be much better than the existing mech brakes the Mini 4 ships with. Or, maybe they're much better. I think I'll give it a couple months and see if Shimano has the 355/65's or a newer version of them available.

I have the Juintech calipers on my Rhino (Rover) 5, it's mostly like Timpo said. Stopping power is about the same as the stock calipers. Feel from the levers is the same since you retain the same cables.

Though, since calipers are hydraulic, they adjust themselves as the pads wear down. I haven't adjusted my calipers from the last 4000 km (2500 miles), though I will change my pads in the near future. Previously with the stock calipers, I was adjusting the cable tension on a monthly basis.

I have the Juintech calipers on my Rhino (Rover) 5, it's mostly like Timpo said. Stopping power is about the same as the stock calipers. Feel from the levers is the same since you retain the same cables.

Though, since calipers are hydraulic, they adjust themselves as the pads wear down. I haven't adjusted my calipers from the last 4000 km (2500 miles), though I will change my pads in the near future. Previously with the stock calipers, I was adjusting the cable tension on a monthly basis.
I had the same experience with my Rover, took about 50 miles to bed in. I felt it stopped a little better and was quieter. No adjustment was ever needed.

This is what I was curious about. Does one still need to adjust tension regularly if replacing with hybrid calipers? Sounds like you don't need to adjust like with mech brakes. I'll increase the rotor size and upgrade to hybrid calipers.
Thanks!!

The brake purchase was an impulse buy, Bolton had them on sale over the holidays in 2020.

I owned my Rad Rover for about 4 months after I installed them, so only 500 miles or so on them. I never had to make any adjustment , and with the old tektros it was a once a month thing. You can also get compressionless cables that improve things too. I never went that far.

The guy who purchased my Rover for a family member already owned another Rover emailed me several weeks later complimented me on all the upgrades including the brakes. I think he kept my old bike and passed his old bike down to his son.

I absolutely love my Juin Tech M1s but using a quality compressionless cable makes all the difference. I have never adjusted them in 13 months. Frankly, I wish I had changed the cable first, maybe keeping the Tektros. Change the shift cable at the same time and your shifting will be much crisper and, amazingly quiet.

Back