Segway to stop production

JRA

Personally I have always thought the Segway was weird and overhyped by some pretty big hitters as described here BITD: https://www.npr.org/2020/06/23/8825...s-the-original-segway-will-be-retired-in-july

When the owner drove one over a cliff I had forgotten they were even still a thing but obviously have continued on til now. Another weird thing was when someone rode one across the US.....not sure if he ever made it but at their top speed of 10mph maybe he is still out there?

Some might have noticed recently that there has been a dead ringer for the Luna Sur Ron being advertised with Segway branding which must be one of the other projects that the new owners has come up with.

Personally I always wanted them to make the wheel chair they showed a number of years ago and never understood why they didn't as it would be very welcome in the Disabled community.

However it looks like the new parent company Ninebot has worked it out but have yet to see one here in the US. https://www.businessinsider.com/segway-s-pod-personal-transporter-egg-hoverchair-2020-1

Disabled people don't want a futuristic-looking wheelchair. They want a practical mobility device - with a big basket for a dog or raincoat and pole with a little stupid red flag for visibility.
Btw, what happens when this thing stops - do you fall forward or backward? :)

Disabled people don't want a futuristic-looking wheelchair. They want a practical mobility device - with a big basket for a dog or raincoat and pole with a little stupid red flag for visibility.

Uh, not everyone that is disabled uses or is even able to use what you are describing. My son is a Quad and he has been using a standard type wheel chair with hub assist wheels for the last 10yrs. He also has an attachment I put together for him that attaches to the chair and uses a 36v BBS01. First accessory I got was what you call stupid....but I call smart.

IMG_0788.jpg

He just got a new motorized chair that has the ability to lift him into a vertical position that he is getting used to in increments. The standing feature could be a life changer for him but it has to be done a bit at a time. BTW it cost around $40k and took 4yrs. to nail down with the insurance company with strong Doctor recommendations.

Personally I have always thought the Segway was weird and overhyped by some pretty big hitters as described here BITD: https://www.npr.org/2020/06/23/8825...s-the-original-segway-will-be-retired-in-july

When the owner drove one over a cliff I had forgotten they were even still a thing but obviously have continued on til now. Another weird thing was when someone rode one across the US.....not sure if he ever made it but at their top speed of 10mph maybe he is still out there?

Some might have noticed recently that there has been a dead ringer for the Luna Sur Ron being advertised with Segway branding which must be one of the other projects that the new owners have come up with.

Personally I always wanted them to make the wheelchair they showed a number of years ago and never understood why they didn't as it would be very welcome in the Disabled community. However, it looks like the new parent company Ninebot has worked it out but have yet to see one here in the US. https://www.businessinsider.com/segway-s-pod-personal-transporter-egg-hoverchair-2020-1

Sorry to see the original Segway go... they helped to start the personal electric transportation revolution back in 2001.

Last edited:
Sorry to see the original Segway go... they help to start the personal electric transportation revolution back in 2001.

I guess it is because I had my first eBike in 01' that I thought it made more sense as PET for the masses.

Uh, not everyone that is disabled uses or is even able to use what you are describing. My son is a Quad and he has been using a standard type wheel chair with hub assist wheels for the last 10yrs. He also has an attachment I put together for him that attaches to the chair and uses a 36v BBS01. First accessory I got was what you call stupid....but I call smart.

View attachment 56534

He just got a new motorized chair that has the ability to lift him into a vertical position that he is getting used to in increments. The standing feature could be a life changer for him but it has to be done a bit at a time. BTW it cost around $40k and took 4yrs. to nail down with the insurance company with strong Doctor recommendations.

That is friggin' awesome!!!!! Good on you.

Personally, I use a little orange flag, not one of little stupid red ones. :cool:

Sorry to see the original Segway go... they helped to start the personal electric transportation revolution back in 2001.
I always wanted to try one but haven't gotten around to it yet. But I really don't know about a revolution. As in their own press release about the death of the Segway, they say they started under a mountain of hype. The thing was cute, curious, maybe fun, but its wannabe revolution never got off the ground.

Ford's Model A was revolutionary. That's why there are Fords now and Chevrolets and Fiats and Kias and Buicks and Lamborginis, etc,, etc. Now there aren't even Segways.

It's kind of sad I guess, but my tears aren't welling up....

TT

I always wanted to try one but haven't gotten around to it yet. But I really don't know about a revolution. As in their own press release about the death of the Segway, they say they started under a mountain of hype. The thing was cute, curious, maybe fun, but its wannabe revolution never got off the ground.

Ford's Model A was revolutionary. That's why there are Fords now and Chevrolets and Fiats and Kias and Buicks and Lamborginis, etc,, etc. Now there aren't even Segways.

It's kind of sad I guess, but my tears aren't welling up....

TT

Ultimately Segway was not successful, however, they started people thinking about everyday Electric Transportation... Scooters, Skateboards, and Bikes. 😉

I still love my Segway Mini-Pros, and that led to EUCs which are just amazing as a PEV. The Mini Pro and it's variant I figure are not going to get any more updates either even though they are made in China. They didn't spend the money to improve them probably because the market was small, but that was caused by some of the problems they created. Now they have scooters though, and while their last EUC was a real evolution it also had problems that limited it's appeal even among the EUC crowd. They may be done with EUCs now, but through their new owners Ninebot they pretty much invented the segment, and many do not want to see them leave. Still they make money with scooters so hard to argue with their business focus.

View attachment 56534

That is an amazing device, it should not have taken so long, or cost so much, but so glad you were able to get this for your son, I’m sure it will be a game changer for him.

Reactions: JRA
That is an amazing device, it should not have taken so long, or cost so much, but so glad you were able to get this for your son, I’m sure it will be a game changer for him.

Actually is was all him and his organized and dogged persistence in the matter with the insurance companies that made it happen! Insurance companies are notorious for putting things off and are just another aspect of our democracy that needs some serious legislation I feel.

Personally I always wanted them to make the wheel chair they showed a number of years ago and never understood why they didn't as it would be very welcome in the Disabled community. ...
That was a custom built chair that used a Segway, it was not a Segway prototype or product.

Agreed with original post/thread starter. At the time, there was SO, SO much hype. I was like what are they going to unveil that flying car we've all been promised. LOL! WAY overhyped. Not surprised, thought this would have been done a LONG time ago..

That was a custom built chair that used a Segway, it was not a Segway prototype or product.

The iBot was invented by Dean Kamen and used the same self balancing technology but with the added feature of being able to climb stairs so actually it was a Segway prototype and product

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 10.38.15 PM.png

When the owner drove one over a cliff I had forgotten they were even still a thing but obviously have continued on til now.

Interesting history regarding Segway. Dean Kamen was an entrepreneur / inventor (an earlier Elon Musk?). Kamen took credit for numerous innovations including the insulin pump which was reputedly developed by a couple of Yale doctors using Kamen's miniature motor. Based on his reputation, Kamen raised substantial $s from silicon valley investors starting before it was disclosed what the product actually was. This venture (Segway) was so well funded that they were able to lobby most States to allow Segways on sidewalks, etc. There were insufficient sales, so Segway was sold for pennies on the dollar to the person who drove one over the cliff.

Subsequently, Segway sued Ninebot for patent infringement for using Segway's balancing technology in its scooters/hoover-boards. The suit was settled by Ninebot agreeing to buy Segway and its technology. A case of Chinese technology appropriation which turned out semi-ok for the technology's owners.

I have bought Ninebot mini Segway for my grandson, and hope the self balancing technology will be further advanced.

Reactions: JRA
Back