Securing an e-Bike with Panniers Attached

XyloSesame

So... my pedelec was stolen on the 4th by a thief with tools (that's for another topic); this has my wife and I a bit nervous now, when it comes securing her bike.

My wife has a Lafree with large Dutch double shoppers. We've never really landed on a good method to lock her bike; the large panniers prevent backing through a standard rack and often make it a bit difficult to cozy up to a pole from either side for a u-lock to reach. A wide u-lock will clear the frame, fender, and rear wheel, but then we have to lash with a cable or chain to a pole; is this the most effective method?

Attachments

• Lafree.png
    Lafree.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 437
It's going to be super hard with a u-lock. I've got a similar setup with big panniers and I used a kryptonite chain lock that works amazingly well and is just barely long enough to allow me to secure it most places (and it's a lot more flexible than the u-locks. Chains can theoretically be cut, but it depends on where you're locking it up, since they often require a lot of work to get open and small bolt cutters won't quite work.

Huh, I have a similar bike but not a step-through, and I generally use a u-lock around the top tube, though sometimes it takes some positioning. I posted the photo in the "loaded with groceries" thread so here is a link to that picture:

(photo of my bike with panniers, locked)

If she can't fit the u-lock between the down and top tube, maybe one of the foldable locks from Kryptonite or Abus Bordo would work? It would be more secure than a cable or chain but more flexible than the U.

Those U-locks and the fold locks are so stiff that a thief just has to hold his grinder against the metal & grind away. As in the video last week.
A flexy cable takes 3 hands - two to hold the cable tight, and one to hold the grinder. Or a vise mounted to a rigid table etc. I've been using a 7' cable through the frame to cart racks, telephone poles, live electrical conduits, etc. 3/8" cable, stainless steel, which is a PIT* to grind through in the best of circumstances. https://www.mcmaster.com/8942T14 18 months since I purchased the $2000 bike, before electricity added another $840 to the pile. No loss yet. Live in a high theft area, use a 1/2" cable. Another 15 minutes wasted. https://www.mcmaster.com/8942T15

I feel vulnerable when I lock up the trailer with just a cable lock, always a u-lock on the bike. I like the suggestion by @ilanarama of trying an ABUS Bordo folding lock that uses steel flat pieces instead of a cable - too flexible to get a Jemmy/crowbar in there, too hard to cut with cable cutters. Or just get a big motorcycle chain. Anything can be cut eventually with a sawzall/rotary grinder so you’re just buying time.

Last edited:
Check out this video about testing various bike locks. They really put them through a lot of tests,

Two decent bike locks are the best way to thwart theft, even the thieves will tell you, two locks makes your bike a "walk by". When I go shopping I lock mine with a Kryptonite New York chain, and Masterlock street cuffs. The other bikes are locked mostly with cables, thieves love cables, they cut like butter.

I lock my step thru with a cable and Foldylock but I'm always worried about the panniers. I remove valuables and put them in my trunk bag which has a shoulder strap. No way I've found to protect the panniers though. I find them too bulky to carry. They're Arkels and worth a few $$.

The other bikes are locked mostly with cables, thieves love cables, they cut like butter.
I'll donate a piece of 1/2" stainless wire rope, you donate your bolt cutters. I bet after trying you'll need a new pair of bolt cutters. The 1/4" master cable from the home store versus stainless steel is like comparing mars to jupiter.

Man, you guys make me feel blessed to live in a relatively safe area. The only bikes that get stolen around here are the ones left unlocked (and sometimes, not even those).

What did they use?
You can see him exerting a bit of force with both hands, but you can't really make out the tool; if I had to guess, I'd say he just had some heavy-duty side cutters and nipped away until it was severed. Security footage is here for the curious:

The moral of the tale is to always lock your bike assuming the worst. We're going to go u-lock shopping and see if anything will allow for an easy frame-tire-rack/pole clearance. If not, we'll go with chains or a foldy (or both).

Back