Seatpost suspension

Okay, I have many years on my bikes, but have never used any of the seatpost suspensions. Was about to purchase my first ever, a Thudbuster. But then I came across this new one that is doing a Kickstarter campaign. I like what I can see and read about it, but would like candid input from those of you who have knowledge about and experience riding on suspension seatposts.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...e=cr_pop&utm_medium=cr&utm_campaign=cr_launch

It works the same way as the Suntour NCX suspension that I purchased on Amazon for $89. I have the NCX on my carbon road bike and it rides like a dream. It is heavy, compared to my carbon seatpost, but I think its worth the weight.

I also have the cheaper XLC and Satori suspension posts. The Satori post doesn't work smoothly but the XLC was good enough that I ended up buying second one.

It works the same way as the Suntour NCX suspension that I purchased on Amazon for $89. I have the NCX on my carbon road bike and it rides like a dream. It is heavy, compared to my carbon seatpost, but I think its worth the weight.

I also have the cheaper XLC and Satori suspension posts. The Satori post doesn't work smoothly but the XLC was good enough that I ended up buying second one.

Thanks for sharing the great hands experience on the ones you have used. Most helpful!

I ordered one of the Shock Stop suspension seat post on Kickstarter. Have to wait until at least October for delivery, then I'll review it.

I ordered one of the Shock Stop suspension seat post on Kickstarter. Have to wait until at least October for delivery, then I'll review it.

Splendid! I will definitely keep my eyes open for your report. I went ahead and ordered the Suntour seatpost and expect it to be here next week. But I also feel the need for something on my old Yamaha e bike and may well also purchase the Shockstop seatpost for that bike in the future. I love the old Yamaha PAS e bike, but the rigid front fork does a real number on my wrists on rides where I travel in excess of 15 miles. I have looked into a suspension fork, but the small regular bike shop 45 miles from me says it cannot be pulled off at a half way reasonable price. So I am considering for that bike getting both the Shockstop seatpost suspension later on and right now their already available stem suspension. Can someone with riding time with the Shockstop stem suspension give me a fair assessment of how that stem suspension will compare in effectiveness to a typical front fork suspension?

I ordered the stem in the past but unfortunately it didn't fit my bike. Most stems are 1 3/8 inch in diameter but my carbon is 1 1/4 inch. But the quality of the stem was very nice. If they had a 1 1/4 inch version, I would definitely get it again. For now, on my road bike, I just wear fingerless weight lifting gloves which have more gel padding than bicycling gloves.

It looks like a Bodyfloat in the head mechanisim; but, made like a Suntour NCX SP-12 with the spring in the body and twist adjustment for ride comfort at the bottom. I have both the Bodyfloat and Suntour seatpost. I like the Bodyfloat a little better because it does a pretty good job with small bumps like washboard trails, pockmark trails, uneven paved roads, and cracked pavement.

Hopefully, you can test with difference surfaces and different (e)bikes.

Any recommendations for a suspension post rated to a 285lb rider? (Fortunately I'm down 20 since getting my ebike... so maybe late summer I'll be in the 250 zone--which seems to be the upper published limit from what I've seen online?

Last edited:
I'm 6'3" and about 275lbs and I usually work commute with a backpack at around 10-15lbs. I really like the Bodyfloat v2.0 420mm with orange springs rated at 250lbs. I work commute on my 4" fat tire ebike at speed up to 25 mph on some downhill runs and single track trail ride. Zero issues with the Bodyfloat at those extremes and it performs equally well in all environments.

Most other suspension seatposts seem to be limited to around 220lbs. Suntour NCX SP-12 does make a firm and soft springs for the seatpost: Suntour Firm or Soft spring.

My Suntour NCX SP-12 400mm 27.2mm I ordered on eBay came with a dark grey spring and I don't know if it is firm or soft? I'm assuming firm because I can adjust the spring level to give me the right amount of float at +275lbs.

I also have a Sunlite Cloud-9 11.5X12.5 cruiser seat and that adds to the comfortable ride also. Good thing about Amazon is the 30 day return policy. You can order both the Suntour and Bodyfloat and see which one feels the best for your type of riding.

Thanks @mrgold35 ... how long have you been riding on the bodyfloat? I assume there's been no declining performance noticed so far despite being loaded above their published figure? I'm keen to introduce some suspension benefit into my rides (100% paved surfaces so far, but lots of tree-root buckled asphalt!)
Also, do you know if bodyfloat and Kinect are interchangeable names for the same thing, or are they actually different products?

I've had my ebike since sept/16 and the 400mm Suntour NCX SP-12 was the first thing I purchased. I used this without any issues until I decided to try the Kinekt Bodyfloat by Cirrus cycles 350mm seatpost with orange springs in Feb/2017 (B-day gift to myself). The 420mm bodyfloat wasn't available at the time and the +$320 carbon fiber Bodyfloat 420mm was a little too much. The 350mm Bodyfloat did a better job at reducing the smaller bumps in the road like tree roots, uneven sidewalk cracks, and buckled asphalt compared to my Suntour NCX SP-12. I think it is because you can adjust the Bodyfloat to sag a bit into a sweet spot and the (e)bike moves under you with small vibrations. On the Suntour NCX SP-12, it felt like I was sitting on top of a spring and I still felt small vibrations being transmitted instead of floating over them. Both did equally well over larger bumps like transitioning from a road to the sidewalk at 10-15 mph or riding over neighborhood speed bumps at speed.

I continued work commuted/trail ride with the 350mm Bodyfloat for about 3-4 months at 50-75 miles per week until my right knee started to ache a little bit. It was because the Bodyfloat was a touch too short for me and had to switch back to the 400mm Suntour seatpost (I just put the 350mm Bodyfloat on my old XL Transeo GT pedal commuter bike). You can adjust the Bodyfloat with as much or as little float you like to have. Because I set it up with the float feature, the seat post suspension would sag about and inch when sitting and turning my 350mm post into maybe a 320mm (the reason for biking was because my knees were hurting from walking and jogging).

It wasn't until the fall/2017 Kinekt Bodyfloat came out with a 420mm v2.0 version and discount code for almost $40 off. I switched back and been riding with the 420mm Bodyfloat since. I have around 4400 miles on my two ebikes with about 1/2 with Suntour and rest of the time split between the 350mm and 420mm Bodyfloats. Zero maintenance issues with both and they perform as advertise work commuting and trail riding.

If someone is going to test ride the new suspension seatpost, I would try and do a comparison test with the other big three like Bodyfloat, Suntour, and Thudbuster on the same types of (e)bikes. My ebike also has front suspension, 26X4" fat tires set to 20 PSI, and Sunlite Cloud-9 seat to reduce bumps compared to (e)bikes that don't have the same set-up.

I just found out the Shock Stop seat posts won't be shipping until early 2019. I may not get to try it until next spring. :(

They may perform the same, but they don't look anything alike. Shouldn't be a patent infringement.
#2: Body Float
#3 Shock Stop
1467482f3520ba01cef3f246e76b16fb_original.jpg

I'm a little lighter than some of you, and having read that "more is an advantage" in the seatpost suspension world I need to know what would be best for me. Neither can I buy the big ticket ones because I need two. Do any of you have knowledge on this?

Back