Safety Tips, Riding Skills & Best Practices

lost_puppy

Region
USA
After two weeks of brain-punching and eye-melting research online searching for my first ebike, I settled on a gently used Juiced Hyperfat 1100 a couple days ago. My first day owning an ebike was quite the experience... The long, nerve wracking drive home on my iffy trunk mounted bike rack. Carrying the behemoth up a flight of stairs. Removing the 2 foot long tire streak that I made halfway up my living room wall...

0323222021.jpg0323222022a.jpg

🙃

I had just gotten the (heavy af) bike right side up after re-installing the front wheel. Then proceeded to take 10 minutes trying to re-install the battery (also heavy af, and very challenging - thanks Juiced!). Ok cool, done. Now let's fire her up and switch the power on to the lcd screen so I can explore all the different settin- whhhhhiiiirrrrrrr zhhhhoooom [crash!] WHAT THE- whhhhiiiirrrrrr [bam!] OH MY G- whiiiirrrr [crash!] HOLY SH- [smash battery power button]

Friends, it was chaos. An absolute sh!t show. Had this event been caught on video, it would easily garner multi-millions of views on every applicable social platform in the realm.

"So what happened?", you say. Before turning the bike upside down to install the front wheel, I rotated the lcd control display in such a way as to protect it from bearing weight as the bike was resting on its handlebar and seat. When I right-sided the bike, I rotated the display back to its previous position - but then, a bit more, so it properly faced my field of vision. What I failed to acknowledge, however, is that the previous owner had the display senselessly butted-up against the thumb throttle... and that extra little rotation of the display on my part actually *cough* depressed the throttle a little, unbeknownst to me...

It was like... hopping on a wild horse. Or a bull. I happened to have my left hand on the left grip when it all started. My instinct was to reach for the right grip with my free hand, and did, but the bike was already up on one wheel. Picture the mayhem. I was caught off guard and instantly found myself trying to tame an 1100w-powered, 70 lb demon bike while it was performing a self-wheelie around my living room. It felt like an eternity, of course - but in reality, it probably lasted 5 seconds before my mental faculties told me to cut battery power.

So why am I telling this tale. Well, for one, I know most will find it hi-larious. That's good news, actually - because I realize this could have easily been a non-laughing matter. And it got me thinking "Damn, this was just in my living room. Imagine the potential dangers of these bikes out on the road."

As a motorcyclist, I am well aware of the importance of riding skill, vehicle knowledge and safety, situational awareness and risk mitigation. It can mean life or death. Well, after riding my new bike for 20 minutes, it became apparent that e-biking is no different. Sure, I made a newbie eff-up - I was not yet acclimated to this new machine - but just one momentary lapse of reason is all it takes to ruin your day, or life.

So, perhaps folks might like to share any anecdotes, tips and other wisdom here for the benefit of making all e-bikers safer, more cognizant owners/operators.

After two weeks of brain-punching and eye-melting research online searching for my first ebike, I settled on a gently used Juiced Hyperfat 1100 a couple days ago. My first day owning an ebike was quite the experience... The long, nerve wracking drive home on my iffy trunk mounted bike rack. Carrying the behemoth up a flight of stairs. Removing the 2 foot long tire streak that I made halfway up my living room wall...

View attachment 117819View attachment 117820

🙃

I had just gotten the (heavy af) bike right side up after re-installing the front wheel. Then proceeded to take 10 minutes trying to re-install the battery (also heavy af, and very challenging - thanks Juiced!). Ok cool, done. Now let's fire her up and switch the power on to the lcd screen so I can explore all the different settin- whhhhhiiiirrrrrrr zhhhhoooom [crash!] WHAT THE- whhhhiiiirrrrrr [bam!] OH MY G- whiiiirrrr [crash!] HOLY SH- [smash battery power button]

Friends, it was chaos. An absolute sh!t show. Had this event been caught on video, it would easily garner multi-millions of views on every applicable social platform in the realm.

"So what happened?", you say. Before turning the bike upside down to install the front wheel, I rotated the lcd control display in such a way as to protect it from bearing weight as the bike was resting on its handlebar and seat. When I right-sided the bike, I rotated the display back to its previous position - but then, a bit more, so it properly faced my field of vision. What I failed to acknowledge, however, is that the previous owner had the display senselessly butted-up against the thumb throttle... and that extra little rotation of the display on my part actually *cough* depressed the throttle a little, unbeknownst to me...

It was like... hopping on a wild horse. Or a bull. I happened to have my left hand on the left grip when it all started. My instinct was to reach for the right grip with my free hand, and did, but the bike was already up on one wheel. Picture the mayhem. I was caught off guard and instantly found myself trying to tame an 1100w-powered, 70 lb demon bike while it was performing a self-wheelie around my living room. It felt like an eternity, of course - but in reality, it probably lasted 5 seconds before my mental faculties told me to cut battery power.

So why am I telling this tale. Well, for one, I know most will find it hi-larious. That's good news, actually - because I realize this could have easily been a non-laughing matter. And it got me thinking "Damn, this was just in my living room. Imagine the potential dangers of these bikes out on the road."

As a motorcyclist, I am well aware of the importance of riding skill, vehicle knowledge and safety, situational awareness and risk mitigation. It can mean life or death. Well, after riding my new bike for 20 minutes, it became apparent that e-biking is no different. Sure, I made a newbie eff-up - I was not yet acclimated to this new machine - but just one momentary lapse of reason is all it takes to ruin your day, or life.

So, perhaps folks might like to share any anecdotes, tips and other wisdom here for the benefit of making all e-bikers safer, more cognizant owners/operators.
Enjoy your new bike and welcome to the Forum.

Mrs DG had a throttle on her Wisper 705, but we disconnected it for a similar reason.

It was a grip and twist type and the problem was that as she’s got very small hands, she would often turn the throttle when braking. Consequently, she had a couple of accidents, nothing too serious, so for her safety we disconnected it.

Well, at least you got to know your new to you ebike a little bit better. Hopefully not too much damage to your abode. Anyway, welcome to the forum and enjoy your ebike.

Thanks for the visual laugh. Glad no one or nothing damaged.
Enjoy your ebike and many fun miles to you!

Back