Rotor upgrade - Frnt 223 - Rear 203 ?

murbot

Region
USA
City
MOUNT AIRY, MD USA
Hi,
I'm planning to upgrade rotors on my Rad Mini 4 from the stock 180 to 223 up front and 203 in the rear. The 223 disc and post linked below were both suggested to me on this forum. This is the first time I'm upgrading rotors. Removed and installed enough of them, but never upgraded. I upgraded to the 35a controller and want to plan for better stopping power before letting anyone else ride it this summer.

Can the same post below be used for the 203 as well as the 223?

Is there any reason not to go with 223 in both front and rear beyond a greater potential to damage or bend a larger disc? Does it make more sense for me to install two discs at 223mm's rather than two different sizes?

223 Disc: Galfer Wave E-Bike 2.0 mm Brake Disc Silver, Bikeinn
223 Post: Galfer Post Mount 63 mm Black buy and offers on Bikeinn
203 Disc: Galfer Wave E-Bike 2.0 mm Brake Disc Silver, Bikeinn
203 Post: ??

Thanks !

Hi,
I'm planning to upgrade rotors on my Rad Mini 4 from the stock 180 to 223 up front and 203 in the rear. The 223 disc and post linked below were both suggested to me on this forum. This is the first time I'm upgrading rotors. Removed and installed enough of them, but never upgraded. I upgraded to the 35a controller and want to plan for better stopping power before letting anyone else ride it this summer.

Is there any reason not to go with 223 in both front and rear beyond a greater potential to damage or bend a larger disc? Does it make more sense for me to install two discs at 223mm's rather than two different sizes?

Thanks !
The rotors finally arrived. Both the 203 and 223 are too large for the rear on the Mini. They rub the kick stand leg. Could remove the kick stand, but I need it. Searching for alternative kickstands.

I installed both rotors on my old Cannondale's 26" wheels, but I'm trying to figure another option so I could install one or the other on the rear of my eBike. I ride the rear brake more than the front and my rear rotors tend to get more wear.

Has anyone installed a rotor larger than 180 on the rear of a Rad Mini? If so, how did you handle the kickstand proximity?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Now we're cookin !!
You understand my way of thinking. LOL - Don't think I didn't consider it. I would love to see the absurdity of a 223 or 246 on my 20" wheels. o_O

I'll be getting another bike before I go to 246. Rad sent a replacement rear wheel assembly with motor, tire and tube due to an issue with my existing motor. It should be here in a couple hours. I'll try swapping the 203 that's too large for the Cannondale rear with the 180 from my new Rad rear wheel. I might be able to squeeze it past the kickstand. If not, maybe I'll try a Magura 200.

This is probably falling somewhere under a vanity project for me at this point. Not sure really need more stopping power given my current style. But I finally reached the age where I have a couple extra bucks to spend on fun stuff and the time to do it.

Hi,

Thanks !
Upgrading your rotor might result in better wifi and cell phone reception!! :rolleyes:

Why not go better vs. going bigger? Fix the sucky brakes. Don't band-aid them.

Or use a band aid thusly: Increase your stopping power via better pads. I know the difference on my 4-piston Magura brakes from the Comfort pad to the Performance pad (blue to black) on my Bullitt is the difference between a controllable stop and a front wheel lockup and going over the bars. Of course... thats also a 20" front wheel where I have 2.3mm thick, 203mm Tektro downhill rotors. Maguras have Comfort (blue) at the bottom end followed by Sport (green) for ebikes, Performance (black) for crazy and Race (gold) for maniacs. I ride some pretty fast, heavy bikes and I've never felt a need to do anything other than black except for the one time I had to use a 20" wheel on a bike with a 203mm rotor :D

The risk over and above bending the disk is a) breaking the caliper mounts since you have to stack up two to get out that far and b) pulling the axle clean out of the dropouts if its QR which, if its a Rad, I am sure its QR or bolts (which are just as risky as the issue is the open dropout). And also crashing if it locks the front wheel. There's that.

Or just put in better 4-piston brakes. You can buy an axle's worth of 4-pot brakes for the cost of one of those $140 rotors. Magura MT5's are as good as it gets for ebike brakes and their calipers are made wide enough that you can use 203mm wide, 2.3mm thick Tektro Type 17 rotors. Buy those or the 2.0mm thick MDR-C rotors for the back in 180mm and I guarantee you won't have any desire to go bigger.

Back