Rize RX – Hits and misses new owner version

Guys, just a quick update on my RX Pro at about 175 miles now.
I swapped the original Kenda 26x4 knobby tires for Origin 8 street tires. Nice tires, some fine tuning of psi dialed out most of the self steering issues. Nice tires overall though. They have a massive look, and they feel heavy, much like the standard knobbies.

Not entirely happy with the Origins, this morning I swapped those tires for some 26x3.00 Kenda Flame street tires. I like these way better. They look great on the stock 4" rims, they ride as good as the Origins on gravel, and there's much less rolling resistance. All else being equal, I can ride in the next tallest gear now - so "noticeable difference" is kind of an understatement. Noteworthy, is though they are very easy to get on the rim when mounting, extreme care must be taken so you don't blow them right off while inflating. Bead must be watched very carefully while bringing the pressure up in maybe 5-10psi steps.

You've likely figured out I'm a "tuner/tinkerer" at heart by now. That in mind, I swapped the stock Bafang DPC18 display (which works fine) for a Bafang 750C display. It was a plug and play swap and I found a deal on a new one. I like the horizontal setup better, with the side by side speed and watt meters. It reminds me of my old muscle and sport cars with the side by side speedo and tach. The watt meter itself is the other attraction. It offers MUCH better resolution for those wanting/needing to know how many watts the motor is pulling at any given time. The DPC18 is very difficult/impossible to tell if it's pulling 100w or 250w for instance. The 750C can tell you within just a few watts. It does jump around a bit, so if something like that would make you crazy, stay away. A good idea of exactly what it's pulling is important to me as I base what gear I'm in and what PAS level to use based on watt usage - not to mention input for ideas on controller programming. This will let me be more precise there for sure.

Hope others are enjoying their new ride as much as I'm enjoying this one!
Stay healthy! -Al
Any chance you could take a pic of your new750c setup?

I’ve got 55 km on my RX. Not bad for January in the Kootenay’s. But snow is coming again and I’m unlikely to ride much. The power of the bike is amazing. I’m slaughtering hills that were painful before or avoided. Which is good cuz I live in the mountains. I’m surprised how smooth it is and quiet. I heard these were noisy. Not at all. Shifts great, brakes are very good, two fingers. I am bonding quickly. The red is beautiful. Have a look ....

Above the Columbia River In Trail BC looking south to the US border about 10 km away.

F8931563-F13A-4073-B1AD-F2014BBCC339.jpeg

I’ve got 55 km on my RX. Not bad for January in the Kootenay’s. But snow is coming again and I’m unlikely to ride much. The power of the bike is amazing. I’m slaughtering hills that were painful before or avoided. Which is good cuz I live in the mountains. I’m surprised how smooth it is and quiet. I heard these were noisy. Not at all. Shifts great, brakes are very good, two fingers. I am bonding quickly. The red is beautiful. Have a look ....

Above the Columbia River In Trail BC looking south to the US border about 10 km away.

View attachment 76337
Nice, and consider a battery cover if you want to ride in the cooler weather and you'll see a lot more range. I found my range dropped by fully 50% when the temps drop close to zero (C - freezing). I made a simple one out of an old yoga matt for now, and it gets me back to at least 3/4 of the normal warm weather range.

Finally, the rubber bung over the charging port is a tempermental bitch, and is destined to live a short life. I'm sure everyone will agree with that. Now let's all be sure to share our best solutions as these little buggers fail on us all, one by one.
Just take it easy on it and get a feel on how to plug it in. Mine is almost a year and a half now. What is a problem sometimes is if you charge with battery on bike and you move the crank while the charger is still plugged in...it wrenches the charger plug. I forgot a few times when I was cleaning up the bike.

I imagine you could drop in a couple of chem hand warmers for colder days too.
Last year on very cold days I had the battery wrapped in layers of neoprene and 2 hot water bottles on the outside. :) Haven't had to use the hot water bottles yet this year.

I rode 32 miles yesterday in temps in the high 30's. Very hilly. Decided to experiment with higher assist levels and rode mostly in PAS2 (ECO) and ventured to 3 & 4 for the biggest climbs. Came home with only 30% battery. I've never charged on the bike, because I have an uninsulated garage, and bring the battery inside after each ride to keep it warm. But it's good to know to be careful with the plug when charging on the bike, which I'll likely do in the warmer weather this Spring. l still struggle to get the charging port's rubber cover on!

My Silver RX came today- took about an hour to set up. No issues. Tried it up the street- wow! Now just need some warmer weather.
Congrats! Cold weather here in California too! Can't wait til the summer but get the right clothes and get out there. Having an absolute blast on my Rixe RX Pro. Buyng an ebike is one of the best purchases I've ever made. I think the reason why we love getting out there on the bikes is primordial...with the wind in our face...the bike replaced the horse...so when we are out there on are bikes it's kinda like being out on a horse like our ancestors. It's a return to nature in modernity.

Congrats! Cold weather here in California too! Can't wait til the summer but get the right clothes and get out there. Having an absolute blast on my Rixe RX Pro. Buyng an ebike is one of the best purchases I've ever made. I think the reason why we love getting out there on the bikes is primordial...with the wind in our face...the bike replaced the horse...so when we are out there on are bikes it's kinda like being out on a horse like our ancestors. It's a return to nature in modernity.
And, unlike a horse, the bike won’t kick you, bite you, trample you or drag you through the mud. And there’s no you know what to clean up. 😉

And, unlike a horse, the bike won’t kick you, bite you, trample you or drag you through the mud. And there’s no you know what to clean up. 😉
Oh now, lets not get into the horse -vs- bike/motorcycle argument.
Had PLENTY of those as I was growing up, in the wilds of WV, with a small motorbike and argued with my older cousins (on horses) which was better. I had plenty points in favor of bike/motorbikes similar to yours. Of course, after one day accidentally riding my bike square into a tree my cousins came back with "Well, at least our horses are smart enough not to run into a tree".
Had to give a point on that one.

I'm here to tell you that a horse is VERY capable of removing your butt from his back with the aid of a low tree branch too. Pretty similar to hitting the tree with a mini/small dirt bike.

Grew up around both too. Even after working small farms through my teens, still have a love of horses, but I will never own one. I appreciate them MUCH more if somebody else is paying the bills and doing the maintenance...

Only 30 miles on the RX Pro at this point, my 4th e-bike. LOVE this bike! Hand grips are really nice. 12 hour clock would have been nice.

This isn't my first performance bike (1000w+), so there's no tendency to push to see what that's all about here. I KNOW there's way more available than I need going into it. With just a few exceptions, most of my riding has been in PAS 1, so finding 19.2 Ah battery range very acceptable.

Stock 4.0" tires, which are new to me, aren't as loud as I thought they might be, but they do have that "buzz" vibration they throw into the bike when on pavement. Nothing dramatic, more of a personal taste thing I don't care for. New street tires due in this week. Of note, the 4.0 tires do respond noticeably to minor changes in air pressure. They came with 8 or 9 psi, so I thought I'd try that. Very heavy steering, and they bottom easily, where you can feel the rim hitting. Next stop was the Rize suggested 20psi. Much lighter steering, but a pretty stiff ride. Now playing in the mid to low teens.

In a perfect world, I would soften the initial throttle response a little - doable for those that want to venture into the controller setup. OK now, but could be much better. Same with the PAS 1 torque settings. I think those could be dialed back/softened a bit. This would result in better battery range, without creating excessive pedaling effort.

Bottom line, I couldn't be happier with this bike at this point. As experience is gained, and more refinements made in tuning to MY tastes, I see this bike and I are going to see a lot of use. VERY happy with the purchase. I feel like all the research done prior was worth it! -Al
I was wondering which street tires you bought and your opinion of them? Thanks.

Back