Ripcurrent S Replacement Chain

IOUZIP

Region
USA
I am trying to identify the Ripcurrent S chain part number from KMC. My chain is 128 links. I think I may have to custom make the length. Does any know an Amazon link to a replacement chain?

Last edited:
Called and Juiced is out of stock on the replacement chains. I cannot find the KMC K99 BR (Rust Buster) 128 link chain anywhere online.

I kinda started to feel like I needed 2 Z99 RB 116 link chains and just make one longer. Is the stock chain 1/2" x 11/128" ??

I looked at the chain closer and found the markings Z and KMC on one side then on the other I found Super Narrow.
IMG_6756.JPG

Update: After research I am going to get the KMC e9 EPT 1/2" x 11/128" (narrow) 136 links. I will shorten it down when I install it.
https://www.amazon.com/KMC-X9e-Turb...ywords=kmc+chain+x9+ept&qid=1612893652&sr=8-2

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone cares, buy I have a Wipperman Connex 9SE chain on my RCS. This chain is made for the rigors of a mid-drive ebike and is to my knowledge the only ebike specific 9 speed chain available. Not only is it a super well-made chain, but is has a quick link, so the chain can be removed quickly w/o tools. It's will need to be sized for your application, but it's a definite drive system upgrade to your Current series ebike.

Not sure if anyone cares, buy I have a Wipperman Connex 9SE chain on my RCS. This chain is made for the rigors of a mid-drive ebike and is to my knowledge the only ebike specific 9 speed chain available. Not only is it a super well-made chain, but is has a quick link, so the chain can be removed quickly w/o tools. It's will need to be sized for your application, but it's a definite drive system upgrade to your Current series ebike.
I'm showing my ignorance here but I'm new to eBikes. What's the noticeable difference with a chain like this vs. say the one that Juiced sells for the RipCurrent S?

Well, it's like most OEM components that come on an bike that's built to hit a price point. The parts are cheap and they work until they don't one day. The OEM chain on the Ripcurrent is an ordinary KMC roller chain. It's a relatively cheap chain that will stretch, possibly cause shifting issues and finally fail. The best thing about the KMC is it usually won't rust.

The Connex e-bike chain, on the other hand, is a MUCH better made chain that's designed to handle the extra pedal torque of a mid-drive motor. My KMC stretched very early in my RCS's life, so I wanted a better chain. I had a regular Connex on my previous MTB that lasted 15 years before I gave the bike away.

The Connex chain can be removed in just a few seconds without tools so it can be cleaned more easily making it last longer. It also shifts and pedals smoother. It is simply more reliable, and since my ebike weighs in at 70+lbs, the last thing I want is a drive failure of any kind when I'm 35 miles from home. This chain really works well for me, but it's not for everybody. Here's their blurb below. Check out their site if you want: https://www.connexchain.com/en.html

E-BIKE CHAINS – ELECTRIFYING PERFORMANCE​

A peripheral phenomenon only a few years ago and still a much-discussed topic: e-bikes. The powerful electric motors can transmit extremely high torques of 250 to 300 Watts to the e-bike chain. They generate high load peaks which only a few components can permanently stand up to. Connex meets these challenges with state-of-the-art manufacturing technologies, materials and coating processes developed for industrial applications that we use to produce e-bike chains that are extremely resistant to high-torque load changes.

Unique high quality for e-bikes​

We offer chains specifically designed to meet the requirements of 10-speed, 9-speed, 8-speed, 7-speed and 1-speed chain systems. These chains are especially resistant to high load changes – and thus set standards in terms of workmanship and long service life. The Connex 10sE, Connex 9sE and Connex 8sE models additionally feature wear-resistant stainless steel inner links.

Hello IOUZIP,

I have a Juiced Bike CrossCurrent S. When new, I measured the chain, and I knew that I should think about a replacement chain for the future. (It was already on the longer side)

Since we have hub motors on our Juiced Bikes, any good quality 9-speed chain should be the call. The problem seems to be as you discovered that regular bicycle chains are 116-links long. I personally don't like to have 2-master links, so using 2-chains pieced together was not an option for me.

I have notice that the Shimano e-bike "STEPS" mid-drive replacement chains (P/N: CN-E6090-10) are 138-links long. (Click the link below where I purchased mine)

I believe that since the mid-drive chains have to transfer more torque, their chains have to be stronger. (In my humble opinion)

My research has also found that you can use a 10-speed chain on a 9-speed drive-line, but not reverse.

I personally don't care for the "Rust Coating" on the KMC chain. (I service/lube my chain every 100 miles) I also like to keep my Shiamno drivelines all Shimano.

BTW, The Connex branded bicycle chains are the best you can resource. I haven't ever used them in the pass on any of my bicycles because they are pricey...

But next time I think "Guitartec's" recommendation of the Connex 9Se may be my next chain.
(132-links)

I hope this information will assist you.
1614970336585.png

Last edited:
I purchased a replacement chain from Juiced. $25 plus $5 shipping. You have to use a chain breaker to remove and install the stock chain. I still am using the original chain after checking it was still good. I am not easy on my chain with trail riding. I know when my chain goes I will have a replacement ready.

I purchased a replacement chain from Juiced. $25 plus $5 shipping. You have to use a chain breaker to remove and install the stock chain. I still am using the original chain after checking it was still good. I am not easy on my chain with trail riding. I know when my chain goes I will have a replacement ready.
I found a brand new Wipperman Connex 9SE 136 link for $29.99 with free shipping on ebay. It comes with their master link which requires no tools for a 3-second installation or removal of the chain. This chain is miles better than the KMC OEM RCS chain. You will need to size it with a chain breaker just like the KMC.

I kinda started to feel like I needed 2 Z99 RB 116 link chains and just make one longer. Is the stock chain 1/2" x 11/128" ??

I looked at the chain closer and found the markings Z and KMC on one side then on the other I found Super Narrow.
View attachment 78730

Update: After research I am going to get the KMC e9 EPT 1/2" x 11/128" (narrow) 136 links. I will shorten it down when I install it.
https://www.amazon.com/KMC-X9e-Turb...ywords=kmc+chain+x9+ept&qid=1612893652&sr=8-2
Hello again Zipinator ! . . . yep, I'm back . . . Sorry : / Got a Q & a comment for ya if you've got the time. I see you've discovered long ago that the KMC Super Narrow Z chain Juiced has chosen for the RipCurrent S is, well, . . . special, Not a standard 9 Speed & non existent, except from Juiced : ( I purchased a spare SRAM PC 971 chain (w/ Link) from Amz bout a year ago and stuffed it into the backpack along w/ a breaker. I reviewed the Park Tool How To Measure and Change a Chain Video on YT a few times and hit the road! Two seasons of peddling has me @ 9K+ miles on the RCS and the ole chain wear indicator is reading just under .75 . . . meaning it should be less than 75% worn for a 1/2" pitch chain. This is the wear limit, according to my research, for a 9 Speed (or less) chain before the Cassette takes a hit from excess chain wear. So my wear indicator hit .5 at the start of this 2021 season and I've kept an eye on the Cassette along w/ measuring for additional chain wear at each Clean&Lube, which is about bout once a week.
I DID do a Lot of research on Bicycle Chain Lube's about month or two after receiving the RCS and here is where it lead me; https://www.ceramicspeed.com/media/3505/velonews-friction-facts-chain-lube-tests-combined.pdf This, is a legit wear & friction test for Bike Chain Lubricants. I'm convinced that this is why I've got a serviceable Cassette & 9K miles on this "Cheap Chain" (quoting from elsewhere in this thread) due to frequent clean&lube intervals with a quality lube. I chose the Rock"N"Roll Gold (blend of ceramic micro balloons & solvent) Lubrication because it didn't req one of those blue plastic cagey brushey things that cost $30+ and old Paraffin is a pain to remove. Plus it's second to Paraffin by only one place. Just squirt it on and wipe it off (about 3 times for each service interval)! I Luv It! And I've only used half the 16oz bottle in two yrs.
So, today is a good weather week ; ) for changing chains (which I've never done on a bicycle before)brakes, rotors and cables etc . . I broke the KMC Super Narrow, opened the SRAM chain package, laid it next to the KMC . . . and it was short by about a Foot : / OK, comments are done (Whew!) and I followed your link to Amz for the "KMC e9 EPT Bicycle Chain, 136L" I'm assuming it's 136 links which goes beyond the 127 + Master that I counted for the RCS. I don't believe I need all the "Sell" I've seen for the CONNEX (though i'm sure it's a good chain) or other expensive chains, if I can get 9 Thousand miles out of a "Cheap" chain on an Oversized eBike! I'm all for the KMC you've chosen and I have two questions. Juiced has a Shimano Derailleur & Cassette, JAGWIRE Shift cables, and KMC chains in this group . . . go figure. Why do suppose they went with a "Super Narrow" chain? And are you using this KMC e9 EPT Bicycle Chain, 136L on the stock Shimano Cassette without issue. I think you've switched to the Deore Derailleur but that shouldn't be an issue. I'm in a position where I have to buy a new chain (the SRAM PC 971 chain will fit my Fuji which has the Deore Derailleur) and I'm concerned that Juiced choice for a Narrow Chain might be out of necessity over cost. I'm guessing they got a deal on some "Discontinued" KMC chain because a "Lightweight" chain like this doesn't seem ideal for an eBike this powerful and heavy.
Sorry for any typo's and Happy eBiking in that Florida sunshine . . . cause I'm Not jealous at all!
Thx, bw

I now have 500 miles on the shortened KMC chain no stretching. I checked last month with my chain checker and was good. I am not easy on the drivetrain alot of trail riding puts more sand and wear on the chain than pavement riding does. I have several backup chains when I do need to replace the chain. I had to replace the stock Jagwire shifter cable it had started to come apart on the end. Switched to a Shimano Optislick Derailleur Cable and housing which has held up great. I do have a KMC e9 EPT chain still in the box. It's for future use. Until the first KMC that came on the bike fails or gets stretched I was going to wait. Any 9 speed chain will work with the cassette and chainring. Juiced buys the chain in bulk so they sell it pretty cheap. It is still a good chain and has EPT anti rust coating. Amazon sells it for twice the price. These are hub motors and the chain does not see the same forces like chains on mid drive bikes.

I now have 500 miles on the shortened KMC chain no stretching. I checked last month with my chain checker and was good. I am not easy on the drivetrain alot of trail riding puts more sand and wear on the chain than pavement riding does. I have several backup chains when I do need to replace the chain. I had to replace the stock Jagwire shifter cable it had started to come apart on the end. Switched to a Shimano Optislick Derailleur Cable and housing which has held up great. I do have a KMC e9 EPT chain still in the box. It's for future use. Until the first KMC that came on the bike fails or gets stretched I was going to wait. Any 9 speed chain will work with the cassette and chainring. Juiced buys the chain in bulk so they sell it pretty cheap. It is still a good chain and has EPT anti rust coating. Amazon sells it for twice the price. These are hub motors and the chain does not see the same forces like chains on mid drive bikes.

So, if I understand correctly, your using the Stock chain and not the KMC e9 EPT from Amazon. And you have 500 miles on a shortened KMC. So, have you replaced the stock chain ? And if you've shortened the one your currently using, does that mean you've shortened the original or a replacement from Juiced? I just checked the Juiced site and there isn't a replacement for the RCS listed, so I'm guessing you had to contact them for the a replacement?
I looked into the Mid-Drive Bosch & Yamaha bikes before deciding on the RCS. Definitely more torque, explaining the need for a beefier chain. But you can still get home on a Hub-Drive without a chain : )
Been down the rabbit hole on chain compatibility vs cassette gear count. Basically chains are narrower with increasing cassette gear numbers allowing for a narrower cassette width. I'm trying to avoid Juiced, avoid using two master links and keep away from the wider Mid-Drive chains . . . also save a buck if I can. Thanks Juiced for bastardizing the 9 Speed standard chain length just for a proprietary designs . . . It's to make sure you buy from them.
Gonna do the same with my shifter cable housing, just go with Shimano. The JAGWIRE cable is tearing up the Optislick cables at the shifter . . . on my third cable now. Shifting gets weird when the cable begins to shred inside the housing.
Yea, my rides are 99% pavement but I'm pushing the rated weight limit for this bike, which is one of the reasons I chose the RCS . . . . It carries a LOT, with a pannier full of spares, my hydration pack w/ more spares, cockpit bling & my oversized ARS. It's a lot of mass in motion : / Some people get scared, some smile and a few of the "Purist's" have actually tried to run me off the road. But that all came to a halt when I mounted a Drift Ghost 4K+on top of the helmet. It has a bright red "recording" light on the rear & front. No bike or vehicle has tried to endanger me since adding that little accessory. People see it from a distance and decide to behave, unlike the first year I rode without it . . I'm sure you know. I'm thinking I could sell a "dummy" helmet mounted cam w/ a few lights on it for around $30 bucks instead of $300. It's a Gr8 buffoon deterrent, but if you actually need a record, ya got one!

I did shorten the stock chain after installing a smaller 48 tooth chainring. 1,500 miles so far. I did contact Juiced to get the replacement chain. At $25 each I purchased 2. I have 2 Juiced RCS bikes. Switching to a quick link is a good idea and makes the chain assembly easier. Depending on how much of a hurry Amazon has the longer 136 link KMC EPT 9 speed chain it comes with a quick link. Break it down to the same length as the stock chain and install the quick link. I have seen 10k miles on the stock chain and drivetrain on a RCS. Keep the chain, cassette and chainring clean and lubed it should last a long time. If you do ever need a replacement cassette and chainring contact Juiced. I switched both bikes to the narrow wide chainring the stock is 52 tooth.

KMC e9 EPT Bicycle Chain, Silver, 136L

I did shorten the stock chain after installing a smaller 48 tooth chainring. 1,500 miles so far. I did contact Juiced to get the replacement chain. At $25 each I purchased 2. I have 2 Juiced RCS bikes. Switching to a quick link is a good idea and makes the chain assembly easier. Depending on how much of a hurry Amazon has the longer 136 link KMC EPT 9 speed chain it comes with a quick link. Break it down to the same length as the stock chain and install the quick link. I have seen 10k miles on the stock chain and drivetrain on a RCS. Keep the chain, cassette and chainring clean and lubed it should last a long time. If you do ever need a replacement cassette and chainring contact Juiced. I switched both bikes to the narrow wide chainring the stock is 52 tooth.

KMC e9 EPT Bicycle Chain, Silver, 136L
Thx & Roger That! Makes much more sense, and provides good intel I wasn't aware of. And, that's a good price for the stock chain, will prob purchase when available & carry one as a spare. Am Not in a hurry since the bike is going thru an "A-Check" in my living room at the moment : / I'll likely settle on the Shimano CN-E6070 9 Speed E-Bike Chain, w/ the pin type master links (I think) for everyday use. Not sure if it req's a single use "Pin Type" Mstr Link or a snap link, but I wanted to see if a Shimano chain & cables would improve shifting . . . and it Should fit the cassette (even though it's for a single chainring only).
Am not familiar w/ the term "Chainring" ? Assuming it's interchangeable with "Cog" or "Gear" and describes a Single Front Gear? I'm New but not afraid : / Gonna try and pull a new shifter cable thru the frame W/ waxed & flattened nylon cord. It's made for tying off aircraft wiring because it's hi-temp & can't be untied, cuts easily, is stronger & much lighter than cable tie's & lasts much longer than cable tie's. And you can get a lifetime supply from Amazon (the non Mil-Spec version) for $10 bucks that will fit in your pocket. https://www.cabletiesandmore.com/polyester-lacing-tape
Again, Thx & watch out for that 2:30 thundershower ; )

Back