Ripcurrent S - can the shocks be upgraded?

Nobody here interested in upgrading their fork or front air shocks? I recently bought a Biktrix ultra eagle which came with a rockshox recon and it was my first time to experience proper shocks and holy crap it's a world of difference that's why I want to try to upgrade them on the Ripcurrent. The Chinese knock offs on this bike are freaking garbage they don't do anything. With the rockshox you feel the cushion it makes you want to go over bumpy terrain rather than avoid it because of how it feels going over bumps and obstructions with crappy suspension.

I guess I will just take my bike to my local bike shop

The Recon won't work because you have a fat bike. The lone Rockshox for fat bikes is the Bluto, about $700. The Bluto is a thru-axle fork, so you would need a thru-axle wheel as well.

The Recon won't work because you have a fat bike. The lone Rockshox for fat bikes is the Bluto, about $700. The Bluto is a thru-axle fork, so you would need a thru-axle wheel as well.

Appreciate that. Juiced told me today "our bikes are not thru axle" so you're saying that it's just the wheel that is not thru axle? So if I change the wheel then it would work?

Is this it?

Will having quality suspension such as this increase the overall life of the bike/Frame? By properly absorbing impacts? I put a lot of miles on it since I don't drive. Not sure if it's related to poor suspension but the weld on my bike for the rear rack already broke.

Yes, you would need to change the front wheel as well, with one that has a thru-axle hub. As for increasing the life of the bike, unless the frame is not properly built, it really should not make any difference what kind of fork is installed. There are plenty of bikes that have so-called rigid forks, after all.

Yes, you would need to change the front wheel as well, with one that has a thru-axle hub. As for increasing the life of the bike, unless the frame is not properly built, it really should not make any difference what kind of fork is installed. There are plenty of bikes that have so-called rigid forks, after all.

Do they make forks that are for wheels without thru-axle? Is there any disadvantage for me to switch to a wheel with thru-axle?

I have not checked, but I suspect all the name-brand forks will be thru-axle only. It is a superior technology and all higher end bikes use it, so there is not much incentive for manufacturers to make high-end forks for a fading 9mm quick release market.

FYI, another thing you need to be aware/concerned about is what kind of headtube/steerer is on your bike. Many if not most new forks have tapered steerer tubes; if your bike has a straight steerer, you may not be able to upgrade. It really depends on the inside diameter at the bottom of the headtube. If the upgrade is possible, you would also need a new headset (steering bearings).

Somebody sent me a direct message they also have the Ripcurrent S and he changed his fork to a Bolton ebikes fork. It will fit on my bike and it has good reviews and people have been swapping out their rad bikes forks with this one. I think this is the best route for me to go otherwise if I go with rockshox and what not I will be spending more on this upgrade than what the entire bike is worth. This may not be top of the line but if it's even a little better for the cost it's fine with me and way less hassle. I already ordered it and will have my local bike shop put it on.

Somebody sent me a direct message they also have the Ripcurrent S and he changed his fork to a Bolton ebikes fork. It will fit on my bike and it has good reviews and people have been swapping out their rad bikes forks with this one. I think this is the best route for me to go otherwise if I go with rockshox and what not I will be spending more on this upgrade than what the entire bike is worth. This may not be top of the line but if it's even a little better for the cost it's fine with me and way less hassle. I already ordered it and will have my local bike shop put it on.

Please keep us informed when you get the Bolton fork installed with a review...

Please keep us informed when you get the Bolton fork installed with a review...

It's going to be a few weeks or so until it arrives. It was out of stock and on pre order and so it was on a special price as well $169 flat with free shipping and no tax reg price is $199. They said they are expecting the shipment to arrive mid Dec and that they will have them shipped out within 24 hrs. So it's going to be a while until my update but I definitely will.

The person that told me about it said he's had it on for about a year with no problems. He also mentioned the following: "For the same money the bolton fork feel and responds a lot better on the road and in the trails. I am a recreational rider putting 1500 or more miles a year on each bike." Also the reviews on the product page are all good by the rad owners except for a couple that left a bad review because they couldn't install it.

I was out of town but back now and received my bolton fork my Ripcurrent is in the shop now getting it installed. Should be ready by end of this week and I will update with my review. So far by looking at it, feels solid and built well. Let's see in practice when I'm riding around if it actually works and absorbs impact unlike my stock fork which doesn't do crap. Even if it's a little bit better for $169 can't really beat it. Looks really nice too all black and red trim/knob, matches the Ripcurrent well. Will take pics once I get the bike back.

I just received my 100mm fork from Amazon. I started to replace the fork but needed a Headset kit. The original lower bearing crown race cannot be easily removed and swapped over. You will need a new one. Does anyone know what Neco or equivalent headset kit is needed? The RCS fork tube I have is 185mm long and the replacement is 220mm long. You will have to add spacers or cut the tube to the 185mm length.

Attachments

• IMG_6289.JPG
    IMG_6289.JPG
    388.5 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
I just received my 100mm fork from Amazon. I started to replace the fork but needed a Headset kit. The original lower bearing race cannot be removed and swapped over. You will need a new one. Does anyone know what Neco or equivalent headset kit is needed? The RCS fork tube I have is 185mm long and the replacement is 220mm long. You will have to add spacers or cut the tube to the 185mm length.

Which fork is that?

So I just got my bike back and apparently the bolton fork goes right on without any issues whatsoever. My bike shop didn't have any complaints or issues with installation.

I only had a quick ride back from the shop since it's snowy and icy lately but all I know is the fork actually works it compresses and absorbs impact unlike the stock fork that doesn't even compress. Now I don't know how much I am going to notice once I do more riding I am used to my rockshox on the other bike and I am not expecting a $169 fork to perform the same as a $500+ fork but for this price it can't be beat even if it helps a little bit.

It may just be that I don't feel it as much like I do the rockshox but as long as Im not complaining about it being too bumpy on the road I will be fine. Sometimes with this stuff for me i dont notice something is working like it's supposed to becaise it just feels "normal" but once something is not working and out of the ordinary then I notice. Anyway let's see over the next month once I can get more riding done as long as the weather is not too bad then I will post another review after I have had more time to test it.

Attachments

• 99970384-870D-45B1-B8C7-FAAD6847027F.jpeg
    99970384-870D-45B1-B8C7-FAAD6847027F.jpeg
    265.3 KB · Views: 543
  • 3F18AA4F-28D9-48A3-8436-C7F9C3A538C6.jpeg
    3F18AA4F-28D9-48A3-8436-C7F9C3A538C6.jpeg
    508.5 KB · Views: 501
  • 9A79931B-C740-4052-BF83-EEFB950BB7A8.jpeg
    9A79931B-C740-4052-BF83-EEFB950BB7A8.jpeg
    309.6 KB · Views: 494
  • 5C851798-505F-44FE-869D-E9DF03C4573F.jpeg
    5C851798-505F-44FE-869D-E9DF03C4573F.jpeg
    296.7 KB · Views: 523
I could not see if they cut the shock tube down or shimmed it up. Did they reuse the stock headset? I have my new headset with sealed bearings and will have to do the install when I get back home. I have my shock pressure set to 100 psi and get good compression when trail riding. Yesterday was a 7 mile torture ride on the RCS at a local bike park. The most beating the bike takes is when going uphill over roots. Pedaling and level 1 gets me up just about any hill. Tire pressure is 15psi. I am interested in seeing what the 100mm shocks offer over the stock 80mm on the trails.

Last edited:
I could not see if they cut the shock tube down or shimmed it up. Did they reuse the stock headset? I have my new headset with sealed bearings and will have to do the install when I get back home. I have my shock pressure set to 100 psi and get good compression when trail riding. Yesterday was a 7 mile torture ride on the RCS at a local bike park. The most beating the bike takes is when going uphill over roots. Pedaling and level 1 gets me up just about any hill. Tire pressure is 15psi. I am interested in seeing what the 100mm shocks offer over the stock 80mm on the trails.

Do you mean this headset? Looks like its the stock.

Attachments

• 6693082A-E018-4322-B9F1-C7B9B7FB81A7.jpeg
    6693082A-E018-4322-B9F1-C7B9B7FB81A7.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 416
I went out for longer today and yes this is definitely decent suspension for the price. You can lock it out if you want i have it totally open and I can bounce the front fork if i get up and down on the bike and i have felt the support at times on certain dips. Im really glad I got this its good enough for this bike

Back