Riding in the rain

MadProphet

Winter is coming. More than just the words of the Stark House on GoT, it's really just around the corner. I've been riding four to five days a week this summer and would like to continue. Do I risk my motor and battery? If need be, I'll wrap it all in Saranwrap - but do I need to?

My bike's manufacturer says that rain is fine. My bigger concern is safety on wet pavement, with reduced visibility, and staying dry and warm, and the length of time commuting would take at the slower speed necessitated by wet pavement and autumn debris on the streets. I very much agree that I want to continue riding year-round, but I think I'll save commuting for dryer weather.

Do you have a user's manual for your bike, a web page to check, or tech support you can contact with your questions about how your bike will do in wet weather?

As long as you don't submerge the motor in the water, an adequate mudflap, long enough to catch water splash towards the motor is good enough. The only factory ebike I see with such mud flap is the Specialized Vado.

1528056925563-png.22463

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/front-fender-pet-peeve.23817/

"Do you have a user's manual for your bike, a web page to check, or tech support you can contact with your questions about how your bike will do in wet weather?"

All the above. Prefer real world user experience to manufacturer claims. I'm still under warranty, so I'll look at the warranty coverage.

Since I'm running 27.5x2.4, I'll likely swap to some tires with a bit more grip. Depending on the year, we get both rain and snow.

I've got caught in a few heavy rain storms and some mixed with a hail work commuting. Best thing I use after riding in rain (and after a good wash) was using the Xpower A-2 Airrow Pro Blower, Amazon, $50. It does an excellent job blowing out excess water in the chain, gears, derailleur, chain slap guard, brakes, battery area, LCD, rack, and those nooks/crannies water usually hide.

My 2 year old low-lying mid drive (BBSHD) has seen action in the pouring rain, riding 24 miles, and also went to multiple trips on rain soaked roads. It's still going strong like new. No water damage here.

1537309587812.png

My cycling rain poncho arrived today! My daughter said she will NEVER go on a bike ride with me if I use it. I think it's a clever idea, but I'm not sure if I can pull it off, riding without seeing the controls ...

Update on the buddyflaps:

Ordering them must have jinxed it because we had a fairly wet winter this year in San Diego and I got to ride in full rain gear a couple of times. The flaps worked really well. The front kept most of the spray from my feet and the motor, which was my main concern and in the back I didn't notice any type of spray.
They look pretty snazzy too I think and the red reflective material adds to night time safety. Definitely a recommended product.

Attachments

• flaps.jpg
    flaps.jpg
    789.8 KB · Views: 502
So I was caught in the rain yesterday on my Tern GSD with the Bosch CX motor. It was raining quite heavy but I was able to escape for the hardest part. Are these systems fairly water resistant? Is there anything to be concerned about? Are there specific parts or places to clean or dry after being soaked? I dried it off the best I could and put a fan on it to speed up they drying. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Fairly water resistant is awfully vague, don't you think? This video won't give you much confidence.

Not the answer I was looking for.... I'm disappointed these motors are not protected from the elements better.

Back