Ride1up Roadster Additional Batttery

DGab

I am thinking about purchasing the extender battery for the Ride1Up Roadster when it becomes available (awaiting arrival of the Roadster next week). Was also considering running a UPP bottle battery in parallel. Why the UPP battery? I have had good luck with UPP on other batteries, the battery has 36v 7ah samsung cells (identical to the Roadster) and it looks more steathy then the Ride1Up extender battery. If you look at the troubleshooting diagram for the Roadster towards the bottom of the page you will see the controller and battery connections. It appears that you could place a xt90 or xt60 parallel connector in the down tube and run a 2nd battery wire into the controller. Is this a bad idea?

Roadster troubleshooting diagram: https://support.ride1up.com/support/solutions/articles/65000173178-roadster-v2-motor-not-working.
Roadster Addon battery: https://ride1up.com/product/roadster-battery/
UPP bottle battery: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32832645006.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000060.3.3ef8716dNZWTlO&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.169870.0&scm_id=1007.13339.169870.0&scm-url=1007.13339.169870.0&pvid=d92ef18b-451f-4a7a-aac9-13922b7e3a46&_t=gps-id:pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller,scm-url:1007.13339.169870.0,pvid:d92ef18b-451f-4a7a-aac9-13922b7e3a46,tpp_buckets:668#2846#8112#1997&&pdp_ext_f={"sceneId":"3339","sku_id":"12000022880694962"}

Edit to include the correct link for the UPP bottle battery. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
Welcome @DGab! I moved your post to the Ride1Up forum where hopefully other Ride1Up members can give you some advice.

Ride1up website quotes “The additional battery pack is self-balanced. It also must be charged individually.”

I have an extra UPP battery on my Juiced Scorpion X and am afraid to run it at the same time so I have a switch that I use to alternate between the two batteries. I’m not sure how you would shut off the other battery without installing two switches or some fancy connector. Without balancing the load, if the batteries are at different voltages is it gonna put a strain on the system or batteries?

1635518255167.jpeg

@Solliex, these are nothing more than a Y-connector with diodes in a heat sink case. Allows you to connect two batteries, and if they are at different states of charge, the higher one will work until they equalize. Slightly smaller units also sold on ebay for a few bucks less. Not intended to combine a 36V and 48V battery, etc. Might drain the higher voltage pack too much,

@DGab, my experience with the UPP bottle battery is that the holder is plastic and too lightweight for the weight of the battery, I use a metal bottle holder, with a second DIY holder in front.

The issue with a second battery in parallel is making sure you connect them when both are at the same voltage. I do it when both are charged. Then I have to separate them to charge separately. When the batteries are of similar AH capacity, it's not a big deal if they vary by a half volt. They equalize in a matter of seconds. It would be a big deal if you weren't paying attention and connected a depleted battery to a charged one Hence the market for the above product.

The Roaster aux battery must include the diodes built into the Y connection.

Thanks for the responses. I received the bottle battery and wired it in parallel to the internal battery. All wiring connections fit in the down tube. They are both 36v 7ah samsung cell batteries and I have been charging them separately. I charge them both to full when I charge them up. I would estimate that I get 40 miles per charge no problem but have yet to drain them completely. My weekend rides tend to go about 30-40 miles. No way that I could get that distance with just the original battery.

Small sample size but so far everything has been fine. No one can tell the bike is an ebike - complete stealth. The single speed belt drive is quiet and smooth. The brakes are fine and I weigh in at 225 lbs. 20 mph is easy to hit. So far the Roadster has been a great purchase. I do have some disappointment at times that I missed the gravel option by about a week but maybe it's for the best. I imagine the Roadster version gets more mileage. With the onset of winter I imagine my Ecotric Fat tire will still see a lot of usage. Still love that bike and have purchased a few upgrades. The Suntour Seat Post is incredible for us older folks. Best $80 I have spent on Amazon. Let me also suggest that the stock version of the seat post is fine for us bigger guys.

Ecotric Fat Tire Upgrades:

TRIWONDER MTB Bicycle Bike Fork Stem Extender​

SR SUNTOUR Sp12-ncx Seat Post​

52v 17ah Panasonic3400 Cell UPP battery (controller and display upgrade)​

REDSHIFT ShockStop Suspension Stem​

Ecotric Front and Rear Fenders​

Roadster Upgrades:

ESI Chunky MTB Grip​

When I was deciding on this purchase my choice came down to the Roadster or the VanMoof. In the end the VanMoof scared me away because of my perceived inability to work on that bike if it bugged out. The high end components sure are cool but with the Roadster I was reasonably confident, confirmed by my work after purchase, that the Roadster would be within my meager skills to fix (with a little help for the nice people on this forum).

Attachments

• 1E81EAF6-EFB9-44AA-A2C1-225C67D0D605.jpeg
    1E81EAF6-EFB9-44AA-A2C1-225C67D0D605.jpeg
    438.3 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I received the bottle battery and wired it in parallel to the internal battery. All wiring connections fit in the down tube. They are both 36v 7ah samsung cell batteries and I have been charging them separately. I charge them both to full when I charge them up. I would estimate that I get 40 miles per charge no problem but have yet to drain them completely. My weekend rides tend to go about 30-40 miles. No way that I could get that distance with just the original battery.

Small sample size but so far everything has been fine. No one can tell the bike is an ebike - complete stealth. The single speed belt drive is quiet and smooth. The brakes are fine and I weigh in at 225 lbs. 20 mph is easy to hit. So far the Roadster has been a great purchase. I do have some disappointment at times that I missed the gravel option by about a week but maybe it's for the best. I imagine the Roadster version gets more mileage. With the onset of winter I imagine my Ecotric Fat tire will still see a lot of usage. Still love that bike and have purchased a few upgrades. The Suntour Seat Post is incredible for us older folks. Best $80 I have spent on Amazon. Let me also suggest that the stock version of the seat post is fine for us bigger guys.

Roadster Upgrades:

ESI Chunky MTB Grip​

When I was deciding on this purchase my choice came down to the Roadster or the VanMoof. In the end the VanMoof scared me away because of my perceived inability to work on that bike if it bugged out. The high end components sure are cool but with the Roadster I was reasonably confident, confirmed by my work after purchase, that the Roadster would be within my meager skills to fix (with a little help for the nice people on this forum).
Is there a switch to change over to the second battery?

Is there a switch to change over to the second battery?
There is not a switch. The batteries are run in parallel. Both batteries are the same voltage, age, individual cell manufacturer and total watt hours. They are both fully charged separately and then the additional battery is connected to it's holder. This is not the safest manner to add more watt hours on your Roadster. You can buy the additional battery from the bike manufacturer (when it becomes available) that most likely includes diodes to control the exchange of voltage differential between the batteries. You can buy the linked Bolton Bikes connector suggested by HarryS above that does the same voltage regulation between batteries or you can rig up some kinda of switch to keep the batteries separate as you suggest but allow them to alternately power your system. The additional battery from the bike manufacturer (when it becomes available) is not a lot more expensive then my option by the way. If you look at the pricing for batteries the Ride1up is a pretty good deal. My option is more stealthy.

@harryS: There are 2 different types of holder systems for the UPP bottle battery. Mine is the more robust option and the battery is pretty secure.

By the way, I bought the UPP bottle battery back in 2017. I believe it was a 10.4AH model with Samsung cells.

It's 4 years old this month. I ran it down to 32 volts, and used 8.3AH per my wattmeter. Covered 32 miles too on 20A controller and 350W motor. Probably had another 1-2 miles left. I call that really good, after 4 years of indifferent charging discipline. I almost always charged to 100% except for winter.

Roadster Upgrades:

ESI Chunky MTB Grip​

Love my Suntour posts. Did you not get the cover with yours?

The Gravel roadster looks good to me and I would not mind taking the downtube battery out and just wiring up two of the bottle batteries. Commuting I would not want to leave the Bike locked up outside otherwise.

Love my Suntour posts. Did you not get the cover with yours?

Unfortunately not. Didn't feel like it would be a problem.

@Jimmy666 Not sure why you feel the downtube battery would make the bike more likely to be stolen. Please enlighten me? The bottle battery is only about 3lbs if your curious. Like HarryS I have had good luck with UPP. Let me add that they are always quick to respond to my emails. Having extended battery range is so important to me. For this bike I usually ride it in PAS1 for the exercise but being able to run it on Pas5 is fun. The additional battery makes PAS5 of no concern in relation to range. The only flaw is not being able to see the display on sunny days while wearing sunglasses. I have an extra KT-LCD8S laying around. Wonder if that would be an easy switch.

Unfortunately not. Didn't feel like it would be a problem.

@Jimmy666 Not sure why you feel the downtube battery would make the bike more likely to be stolen. Please enlighten me? The bottle battery is only about 3lbs if your curious. Like HarryS I have had good luck with UPP. Let me add that they are always quick to respond to my emails. Having extended battery range is so important to me. For this bike I usually ride it in PAS1 for the exercise but being able to run it on Pas5 is fun. The additional battery makes PAS5 of no concern in relation to range. The only flaw is not being able to see the display on sunny days while wearing sunglasses. I have an extra KT-LCD8S laying around. Wonder if that would be an easy switch.
If I was commuting with the bike being able to remove the battery would help keep the battery from getting damaged from extreme temps and charging off the bike.

Back