Returning to E-Bikes - With a Vengeance!

TMH

Hello!

My name is Tom and am very fortunate to be able to live on California's Central Coast - where bike riding is truly a year-round activity.

I'm not new to e-bikes by any means, as my wife and I got our first ones (Pedego's) back in 2011, even before EBR came into existence. We used the Pedego's a lot when we used to camp (RV) at the local beaches in the Bay Area where we lived at the time. But in the last few years they really hadn't gotten much use, so I sold them a few weeks ago.

And boy, what a selection of e-bikes are available now, compared to the market in 2011. I found EBR when I was looking at what I would get to replace the Pedego's, with something more matching our current needs/wants. And what a wealth of knowledge!

I started 'softly', settling initially on a Ride1Up 700 for myself, and a 500 for my wife. Well, that plan went awry when we received the 700 - and it was a step-thru instead of the step-over frame which was ordered. But we decided to keep it, and my wife would have a 700 instead of a 500.

And then the real 'fleet building' began. I prefer to get things, whether e-bikes or other, which have more specialized configurations instead of trying to make a single tool do it all. I also figured "boy it would be nice to have multiple bikes so that my wife and I can ride e-bikes together with visiting family or local friends." So that first purchase was followed by:
Juiced RipCurrent S for me for the casual rides;
Haibike XDURO All Mountain 2.0 for getting back onto the trails;
FLX Roadster for daily training;
Felt Sport E-50 for daily training (as, unfortunately, the FLX Roadster is just too small for me at 6'4" tall, so with it's single-size frame it will become my wife's bike to ride just for workouts).

But wait, there's more! Trying to make sure that both my wife and I have similar bikes we can ride together, I've ordered:
FLX Gladiator for her to ride when we're out cruising on fatty's; and
Juiced HyperScorpion - likely too small for me (with standard seat), but she will have a blast with it!

Talk about jumping in with both feet!

The battery technology/capacity of the new bikes, together with their comparatively awesome fit-and-finish (no rattles!) and improved weight distribution/balance has really pleasantly surprised me. And what a great selection of models, styles, drive systems and frame sizing we have available today, as compared to what was available when we first got into e-bikes 9 years ago.

I am so looking forward to training/exercise rides on the Felt. I had recently lost some unnecessary poundage and one pant size just due to changes in eating habits and diet. But I had plateaued so now I'm putting more exercise into the mix. Had a great first conditioning ride on the FLX Roadster last weekend, but a momentary lapse of concentration while looking over my shoulder before making a left turn on the roadway resulted in my being dumped onto the soft shoulder, and slightly separating my own shoulder. But my goal is to be able to re-initiate the conditioning rides by next weekend, but now with bar-end mirrors on the road bikes...

Anyway, thanks to all who have contributed to this site and have allowed me to come up to speed so quickly on the current crop of e-bikes. Having been a long time rider (dino road and mountain bikes before the Pedego's), I hope that I can contribute something positive to the forum in the future.

And since many threads are useless without pics, here is the current 'fleet' (minus the Haibike). I think that we are going to get more visits from friends and family in the future once they try out the new e-bikes (local shooting & motorcycling buddy has already tried out the RipCurrent and Roadster, and is now choosing his first e-bike to purchase).

Attachments

• IMG_0515.JPG
    IMG_0515.JPG
    380.8 KB · Views: 386
Hello!

My name is Tom and am very fortunate to be able to live on California's Central Coast - where bike riding is truly a year-round activity.

I'm not new to e-bikes by any means, as my wife and I got our first ones (Pedego's) back in 2011, even before EBR came into existence. We used the Pedego's a lot when we used to camp (RV) at the local beaches in the Bay Area where we lived at the time. But in the last few years they really hadn't gotten much use, so I sold them a few weeks ago.

And boy, what a selection of e-bikes are available now, compared to the market in 2011. I found EBR when I was looking at what I would get to replace the Pedego's, with something more matching our current needs/wants. And what a wealth of knowledge!

I started 'softly', settling initially on a Ride1Up 700 for myself, and a 500 for my wife. Well, that plan went awry when we received the 700 - and it was a step-thru instead of the step-over frame which was ordered. But we decided to keep it, and my wife would have a 700 instead of a 500.

And then the real 'fleet building' began. I prefer to get things, whether e-bikes or other, which have more specialized configurations instead of trying to make a single tool do it all. I also figured "boy it would be nice to have multiple bikes so that my wife and I can ride e-bikes together with visiting family or local friends." So that first purchase was followed by:
Juiced RipCurrent S for me for the casual rides;
Haibike XDURO All Mountain 2.0 for getting back onto the trails;
FLX Roadster for daily training;
Felt Sport E-50 for daily training (as, unfortunately, the FLX Roadster is just too small for me at 6'4" tall, so with it's single-size frame it will become my wife's bike to ride just for workouts).

But wait, there's more! Trying to make sure that both my wife and I have similar bikes we can ride together, I've ordered:
FLX Gladiator for her to ride when we're out cruising on fatty's; and
Juiced HyperScorpion - likely too small for me (with standard seat), but she will have a blast with it!

Talk about jumping in with both feet!

The battery technology/capacity of the new bikes, together with their comparatively awesome fit-and-finish (no rattles!) and improved weight distribution/balance has really pleasantly surprised me. And what a great selection of models, styles, drive systems and frame sizing we have available today, as compared to what was available when we first got into e-bikes 9 years ago.

I am so looking forward to training/exercise rides on the Felt. I had recently lost some unnecessary poundage and one pant size just due to changes in eating habits and diet. But I had plateaued so now I'm putting more exercise into the mix. Had a great first conditioning ride on the FLX Roadster last weekend, but a momentary lapse of concentration while looking over my shoulder before making a left turn on the roadway resulted in my being dumped onto the soft shoulder, and slightly separating my own shoulder. But my goal is to be able to re-initiate the conditioning rides by next weekend, but now with bar-end mirrors on the road bikes...

Anyway, thanks to all who have contributed to this site and have allowed me to come up to speed so quickly on the current crop of e-bikes. Having been a long time rider (dino road and mountain bikes before the Pedego's), I hope that I can contribute something positive to the forum in the future.

And since many threads are useless without pics, here is the current 'fleet' (minus the Haibike). I think that we are going to get more visits from friends and family in the future once they try out the new e-bikes (local shooting & motorcycling buddy has already tried out the RipCurrent and Roadster, and is now choosing his first e-bike to purchase).
Is the July long weekend available!?!

Back