RETURNING MY E-BIKE TO RIDE1UP. QUESTION ABOUT SHIPPING

wings02

I am returning my e-bike to Ride1up and probably will be exchanging it for another model. I have kept ALL of the original packing material. If anyone has done this, I would like to know how well you packed your bike back in the box. Also, which shipper did you use. Did you purchase insurance. Did you have the shipper pick up the box or did you take it into the facility.
My understanding is that Ride1Up handles returns very fairly. Any input would be appreciated.

Hopefully you took pictures as you unboxed/assembled and can reverse the process, or hopefully someone else posted an unboxing video. Which carrier did R1U use to get it to you?

Shipping e-bikes legally can get complicated:
BIkeflights - Electric Bike Shipping

It was like doing a jig saw puzzle but after several hours, I was able to come very close to duplicating how I received the bike. A BIG shout out to LUMPYDOG! I used his great, detailed photos in one of his posts. I regret having to go through this process but Ride1UP seems like they are very good about this. I will probably be ordering a different model from them and even one for my wife.

Attachments

• IMG_0178.JPG
    IMG_0178.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_0179.JPG
    IMG_0179.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_0180.JPG
    IMG_0180.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 422
I am returning my e-bike to Ride1up and probably will be exchanging it for another model. I have kept ALL of the original packing material. If anyone has done this, I would like to know how well you packed your bike back in the box. Also, which shipper did you use. Did you purchase insurance. Did you have the shipper pick up the box or did you take it into the facility.
My understanding is that Ride1Up handles returns very fairly. Any input would be appreciated.

Hello Wings. Can you please share with us why you are returning the bike? Lots of people want to know. Thanks.

The bike is really nice. Quality and value seems good, and Ride1Up seems to be a very good company. They are VERY responsive to questions. I just didn't like the Torque sensor system. But, that's me. Another member, LUMPYDOG seems to have dialed it in. The Torque sensor does give you a neat feeling when you are going at a good pace and begin pedaling again. People describe it as having super powers! Anyone can PM me with detailed questions.

I have 2 bikes both torque sensors , 1 is awesome the other seems to almost ”on off” , guess which one listed for 10g and which one listed for 3g?

both bikes are crappy due to reliability but when the Stromer runs right it is awesome! Slow, fast any power level smooth as butter . The other only likes to accelerate when th e motor is engaged, cant hold speed constant and the on off of the torque sensor is jerky, not too bad when it runs right but as I said both suck bad Enough I wish I didn’t buy either!

Smooth as butter, huh? LumpyDog said the LMT'D torque assist going up hill was like a hot knife through buffer.

It seems the difference to me is the on off feeing of quality electronics and lesser powered motors in my case, I haven’t ridden many different bikes ....many miles in mine almost entirely, 5 Stromers 1 BH Since 2011.

you shoud not have to adjust to riding a bike it should be natural. The Bh sounds very similar to your bikes.

I've see many issues with Juiced bikes but rarely with torque sensors. If a company puts in the work, they don't need to be expensive. Just sounds like R didn't refine it enough.

I don't get why the torque sensor makers don't just make it easier themselves, it's not like sensors are brand new. Would boost their sales.

I've see many issues with Juiced bikes but rarely with torque sensors. If a company puts in the work, they don't need to be expensive. Just sounds like R didn't refine it enough.

I don't get why the torque sensor makers don't just make it easier themselves, it's not like sensors are brand new. Would boost their sales.

Asher - from a life-cycle perspective, I think e-bikes are in their infancy. When you look at other tech industries/products that took off, early on - they contained stock/off-the-shelf parts sourced from multiple vendors, used to create a product that was differentiated from other vendors only by the case they came in and the vendor's marketing... Kinda where e-bikes are now.

At some point along the way, the vendors that won/dominated went to parts that they manufactured themselves or sourced to their specific specifications... creating an ecosystem of parts that were designed to work together. E-bikes ain't there yet. At some point an e-bike manufacturer is going to build (or source to their specification) their own sensor, motor, controller and display....

At some point along the way, the vendors that won/dominated went to parts that they manufactured themselves or sourced to their specific specifications... creating an ecosystem of parts that were designed to work together. E-bikes ain't there yet. At some point an e-bike manufacturer is going to build (or source to their specification) their own sensor, motor, controller and display....

It's actually the opposite. With cars, manufacturers have outsourced more and more outside the firm, because lots of people under one roof is an exponential problem of communication, and thus bureaucracy. You may be thinking of iPhones, which require extremely high levels of integration amidst constant change, and can police rivals with patent lawsuits/licensing to prop up profit margins. The payoffs to such integration in ebikes is far more modest, and more a venture capitalist pitch than reality.

In the bike world, we still have Shimano and SRAM, and a wealth of wheel makers. There's no danger of these disappearing from vertical integration.

I agree ebikes are relatively nascent, just saying that torque sensors have already been solved for years by several makers so it's odd that each one has to crack it anew.

Cars are definitely not the kind of “tech product” that I was I was referring to. Better example = computers. Companies pulled stock parts off the shelf, put them in their own custom case and depending on the vendor, buyers had to deal with getting everything to work together. Over time, some vendors started building their own parts and also sourcing parts specked to their specific standards/design - to create a level of integration that provided a way better product/experience.

You make a good point on payoff - maybe the margins are so thin on bikes - that no vendor will endeavor to put together a truly integrated solution and we’ll be left buying a mix of standard off-the-shelf parts that are differentiated only by the frame they are bolted into and the level/quality of parts.

One way around this - and my example works here - open up access to software/firmware so buyers/the community can iron out the wrinkles themselves. It would be great to be able to recode or tweak the controller and the LCD to dial things in. Put a USB port on them and let the community have some level of access to the code/variables/parameters. Looks like this is happening in pockets But ebikes could be way more fun if the parts manufacturers opened things up to the community a bit more...

The torque sensor manufacturers can’t make it easier themselves. I agree - If they could, it would boost their sales. But they don’t make the controller or the LCD or the Motor - which create unforeseeable variables in how the sensor will perform. Same challenge as early computer parts suppliers. The vendor needs to dial it all in... Better yet - it would be great if the end user had access to do so as well.

The torque sensor manufacturers can’t make it easier themselves. I agree - If they could, it would boost their sales. But they don’t make the controller or the LCD or the Motor - which create unforeseeable variables in how the sensor will perform. Same challenge as early computer parts suppliers. The vendor needs to dial it all in... Better yet - it would be great if the end user had access to do so as well.

Aren't there a few popular parts with the lions share of the market, so if you covered those then that would go a long way to covering the market? Eg test out the torque sensor with a couple Bafang models and a couple popular controller models, and then hand those specs to whoever buys your torque sensor.

Aside from possibly addressing bike theft, most of the consumer facing software for ebikes is either a commodity or a gimmick, used to obtain or justify higher company valuations and higher consumer prices.

Desktop Windows PCs and even laptops are still an assembly of third party parts beyond the casing.

Best sensor in the world, if talking to/interfaced with junk software, could come across as a complete POS.

Point being, it's as much about the software (or more) as much as it is the sensor.

Back