Retired and Biking

All, just joined EBR and interested in shared experiences and product information. Retired May 2018 (wife and I are in our 70's) and now have time to ride. I've biked a lot, off and on. Raced for some years, started late and rode Vet. class in USCF. Stopped racing in 1983 at age 40. Also spent some time working as a mechanic in a bike shop to support the racing.

I most recently traded the Specialized Diverge Comp I bought as a gift to myself at retirement for a Como 2.0. My wife Jeanie followed by trading in her Specialized Roll for a step through Como 2.O.
We've ridden over 2K on the Como bikes and are now waiting on delivery of matching Vado 5.0s. I've spent a few minutes on the Specialized page and learned and had suspicions confirmed concerning bike models, saddles, bars, preferences, etc. ... Sweet.

I do have some questions but will post on the appropriate thread.

Hello, good to be here.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_186.jpg

Enjoy rhe seasons with your new Vados. Glad to know you liked your Comos ... my wife and I just got a pair of Como 3s.

Enjoy rhe seasons with your new Vados. Glad to know you liked your Comos ... my wife and I just got a pair of Como 3s.
You will not be disappointed. The Como's may be the most fun I've had on a bike. If there may be a way to justify keeping them when the Vado's arrive, I just may.

You will not be disappointed. The Como's may be the most fun I've had on a bike. If there may be a way to justify keeping them when the Vado's arrive, I just may.
Noticed that you had them up on a rack with battery still in?

We never remove batteries for trips from home to trail head. Not familiar with the pros and cons of removing battery to transport.

Apparently most manufacturers recommend removing the batteries to transport b/c of possible rain. But most people on here remove them to make the bikes lighter to lift onto the rack.

Welcome!

Noticed the 'tire clamps' on your rack. These may pose an issue for your new Vado5s as their metal fenders can interfere with these style clamps. We still use our 'tire clamp' rack for our fenderless mech bikes but switched to a frame clamp style rack for the Vados.

Just a thought...😎

I'm thinking/hoping the clamps will work with the bridge on the fork. My LBS owner tells me I'm okay. Will wait and see.

Apparently most manufacturers recommend removing the batteries to transport b/c of possible rain. But most people on here remove them to make the bikes lighter to lift onto the rack.
Have avoided riding in the rain, so no problem there. The cavity with the battery removed would be a potential reservoir, seems the battery cover would offer more protection. There's a thread that discusses bike covers for transporting bikes in the rain. I'm seriously looking for a viable solution as Jeanie and I are planning a trip to Summit County/Breckenridge to ride the trails.

I built my own battery mount (left, front of bike) which include a plastic bag, foam sheets for winter insulation, bubble wrap, and a green plastic bag on top. Also a lot of box tape. Enclosed in aluminum angle for security & support.
Worst storm was about 2" an hour for a few minutes, I got wet but the battery didn't. It rains 200+ days a year here, bike wouldn't be much use to me if I couldn't ride in the rain. The only electrical faults are the throttle quits working sometimes if it rains hard enough, if I forget to wrap it in a grocery bag. with a geared hub motor, if the throttle quits, I just keep pedaling until I get home. 27 miles one time after failure in a pouring all day January rain.

Back