Redundant regulation Arlington VA

Dewey

Region
USA
City
Arlington, Virginia
Arlington County government would like to emulate DC's dockless bike/scooter/ebike experiment with an official 'trial' to begin this September, source: https://transportation.arlingtonva.us/scooters-and-dockless-bikeshare/.

The Arlington County Code needs a bit of cleaning up, currently there is an non-enforced § 14.2-64.1 prohibition on ebikes riding on Arlington County bike trails and multi-use paths. ACPD told the BAC that ebikes are legal on bike paths, this Arlington regulation conflicts with VA law. Local ebike riders can help shape future regulations by contacting the county on this or other issues connected with the dockless trial by emailing [email protected]

Naturally this being DC there are a myriad overlapping jurisdictions and so removing this redundant regulation from the County Code would not change the ebike bans on the Mt Vernon Trail (NPS) or W&OD trail (NOVA Parks).

Last edited:
Oh boy, that is concerning! I just bought my first e-bike to commute to my job in Arlington from my home in Alexandria. I have only done the commute once so far and I kept pace with other bikers as it seemed unwise to zip around runners and walkers faster than at non-assisted biking speed. But that's just me. I bet a lot of people wouldn't bother to slow down on crowded paths. They will ruin it for us all!

I just bought my first e-bike to commute to my job in Arlington from my home in Alexandria.

Hi, are you commuting up the Mt Vernon Trail? My understanding is it would take an NPS employee to enforce their ebike ban as it's not illegal under Virginia law so as with the Arlington County ban it is in practice not enforced. I've ridden a few times on the MVT without comment so you should be fine. Watch out for the MVT connector paths crossing the fast roads approaching Memorial bridge, the Intersection of Doom that connects MVT to the Custis Trail at Rosslyn, and the slippery wooden bridges on the MVT around Roosevelt Island and Dyke Marsh, South of Alexandria - all notorious accident blackspots (see this thread and this thread on the Bike Arlington forum).

Yikes! The path I took on my only commute so far was W&OD to the trailhead at Shirlington. Google maps directed me to a ped overpass, which neither I nor anyone in my family had ever even noticed before despite driving beneath it zillions of times. Just goes to show how we see what we're attuned to see. Anyway, with the assisted motor, I was easily able to get up the bridge ramp. However, the distance on the road between the trail and the access to the bridge is on the street and I did not deem it very safe as it goes around a curve leading to 395. Next time I'm going to try taking the 4MR trail to Glebe to Valley Drive to get back on the same route. I hurt my back gardening the day after I bought my bike and I'm SOOOO eager to get back on it! Tomorrow I'm going to give it a try.

Google indicates a route that would be a few minutes faster that would be entirely on the street (Walter Reed) to Shirlington vs. the bike path. I'll try it out, of course, but already at a sub-hour time, biking is faster than taking public transit to my work.

4MR trail to Glebe to Valley Drive...(Walter Reed) to Shirlington

The approaches to the Shirlington ped/bike bridge should be improved as it's so useful for crossing 395, on your alternative route the short stretch of Glebe is marked with Sharrows but there is a reasonable width sidewalk next to it if traffic is heavy, I found Valley Drive was quiet the one time I rode from Ballston to Del Ray one Friday after work. Walter Reed is sharrows most of the way and while direct I'm uncomfortable riding on it at busy times so I tend to use the W&OD as my North-South arterial if I'm towing a child trailer from Ballston to Barcroft or Shirlington rec centers.

I ride on the Mt. Vernon trail almost daily.

Yeah the local ebike bans are regressive, presumably a throwback to concerns about keeping mopeds/gas powered motorized bicycles off multi use paths, I'm interested to see if the lobbying from riders plus the dockless companies like Uber/Jump, Lyft/Motivate is enough to get at least Arlington County to remove their ban, unsure how responsive NOVA Parks are, I don't think anything will convince the Park Service.

I live in Falls Church, ride the W& OD to get to anywhere in the area, either out to Puceville or off to Rockville (lake Kneedwood and beyond), Ashton, MT Vernon or just somewhere. i have beeen ridin g for 7 or 8 years on my Stromers. I try to be a decent rider but no one is perfect. I have had maybe 6 complaints about my ebike on any trail here. Only from someone wearing Spandex too, lol. I will ride on a street if safe but i must feel SAFE. I do have 2 Ortleib bags on the rack at all time, partiallly cover the motor, some may not notice the motor

I am have been passed by regualr bikes while i was about at top speed , i just dont get this no ebike mentality. I would thik speed is the issue and this depends on the rider.

Calling Arlington, Alexandria & Fairfax and ebike riders in Northern Virginia. NOVA Parks is proposing changing Park Authority Regulation §1.14 Motor Vehicles and Traffic to lift the ban on Class 1 & 2 ebikes on their trails including the arterial W&OD rail-trail. Please write an email to [email protected] to express your support or if you have the time there will be a public joint hearing held by the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority Board and the Fairfax County Park Authority Board at 7 p.m. on February 7th at The Jean R. Packard Center at Occoquan Regional Park, located at 9751 Ox Road, Lorton, VA.
https://www.thewashcycle.com/2019/01/nova-parks-to-consider-new-e-bikes-on-trails-regulations.html

Arlington County government would like to emulate DC's dockless bike/scooter/ebike experiment with an official 'trial' to begin this September, source: https://transportation.arlingtonva.us/scooters-and-dockless-bikeshare/.

The Arlington County Code needs a bit of cleaning up, currently there is an non-enforced § 14.2-64.1 prohibition on ebikes riding on Arlington County bike trails and multi-use paths. ACPD told the BAC that ebikes are legal on bike paths, this Arlington regulation conflicts with VA law. Local ebike riders can help shape future regulations by contacting the county on this or other issues connected with the dockless trial by emailing [email protected]

Naturally this being DC there are a myriad overlapping jurisdictions and so removing this redundant regulation from the County Code would not change the ebike bans on the Mt Vernon Trail (NPS) or W&OD trail (NOVA Parks).

This is wrong and concerning on so many levels. My home country implemented similar laws and applied taxes so fewer and fewer people own e-bikes. It is like people are against healthy habits and eco-friendly vehicles - Dumb people to be specific -

Calling Arlington, Alexandria & Fairfax and ebike riders in Northern Virginia. NOVA Parks is proposing changing Park Authority Regulation §1.14 Motor Vehicles and Traffic to lift the ban on Class 1 & 2 ebikes on their trails including the arterial W&OD rail-trail. Please write an email to [email protected] to express your support or if you have the time there will be a public joint hearing held by the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority Board and the Fairfax County Park Authority Board at 7 p.m. on February 7th at The Jean R. Packard Center at Occoquan Regional Park, located at 9751 Ox Road, Lorton, VA.
https://www.thewashcycle.com/2019/01/nova-parks-to-consider-new-e-bikes-on-trails-regulations.html

Good news, this change was voted and passed. Thank you NOVA Parks.

It prompted William Shatner to retweet the announcement to Arlington Dept of Environmental Services who responded they will reconsider the County ebike trail ban this fall! Thank you Shatner & Pedego.

Things are looking up for the DC region, in Maryland HB 939/SB 935 remain on track for the state to enact this year the BPSA/People for Bikes 3-class model ebike legislation.

Once all the neighboring jurisdictions permit ebikes riding on bike trails, this should help advocates pressure DC to revise its municipal regulations & hopefully change the DC Motor Vehicle Collision Recovery Act to protect ebike and e-scooter riders, the last local barrier will be Congress & the National Park Service trail ban.

Last edited:
Just put it in the shed, too complicated, is nobody else seeing this. The gov through big oil is shutting you down, just like solar power. they did the same thing!
Cannot stress this enough, don't give up, ever!

A call for Arlington & Alexandria ebike riders who use the Mt Vernon trail. The Department of the Interior recently announced a policy allowing e-bike use on public lands and directing each subunit to develop a policy. The Friends of the Mount Vernon Trail is running a survey to establish its position. It's important for local ebike commuters to take this opportunity to inform the other trail users how this policy change would recognize our need to commute to work safely. Please take the survey and share freely on social media or with any trail users you know: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Arlington County this week issued a draft resolution to be voted on at a public meeting to be held on November 16 for the County Board to consider revoking it's inequitous prohibtion on ebikes riding on multi use trails. For context Virginia has not yet adopted the BPSA/PfB 3-class model ebike legislation, but does regulate what it calls electric power-assisted bicycles.

While a most welcome development, there are some striking oddities in the draft document, and DC/Northern Virginia ebike commuters might like to email their feedback to the County Board prior to the November 16 decision. Under the draft resolution electric power-assisted bicycles that meet the Virginia power/speed definition (<1,000w/25mph) would be defined in the Arlington Code as a type of "Micro-Mobility Device" (including e-scooters, e-unicycles, e-skateboards, and e-bikes). Among the proposed rules some of the pros and cons I can identify include:

Pros:
-Class 1-3 ebikes would be permitted to ride on Arlington bike trails and sidewalks provided they stay under a speed limit 20mph for the trail (though its unclear if this is a powered speed limit or an absolute speed limit), and for sidewalks two limits are proposed 6mph & 15mph. Virginia law already permits sidewalk riding but does not specify an upper speed limit.

Cons:
- It's unclear to me why the sidewalk speed limit is to apply equally to all Micro-Mobility Devices, an e-bike is not a scooter, skateboard, or e-wheel, with tiny wheels - 6mph is too slow for some e-bikes for powered low-speed manouvering in pedal assist level 1 (eg Aventon Pace 500), while for some e-bikes 6mph might be too slow for safe unpowered low-speed manouvering where issues like balancing weight, center of gravity, gearing for high speeds, 28"/700c wheel size, etc. require they maintain a higher speed when pedalled.
- Micro-Mobility Devices including e-bikes would all require a functioning speedometer...but there are many ebikes that use LED displays with no speed readout like the Giant RideControl One, or in the case of electric unicycles and skateboards cannot physically mount a speedometer, at the least this needs rewording to include phone apps by way of an alternative to OEM equipment, but then this would require the rider to always have the phone app on and visible displaying speed, an e-bike handlebar can accommodate a phone mount but an e-skateboard or e-wheel rider would have to be holding the phone in his/her hand in line of sight and that strikes me as unsafe when we discourage texting while riding and those devices sometimes require you move your arms around to physically balance.
- The proposals for regulating shared Micro-Mobility Devices do provide the County with power to revoke an operating permit for a safety violation and inspect any new equipment fitted, but it does not include a clear requirement for operating companies to share safety data. This emerged as a problem this year after it was found Uber and Lyft did not share information about braking problems after omitting power modulators from their Shimano Roller Brake installation against manufacturer advice, which lead to accidents until the devices were withdrawn for adaptation (Lyft's CaBi+ ebikeshare bikes are still not returned to service), but more ominously Uber's JUMP bikes had been fixed 6 months before Lyft's bikes were pulled off the streets.

Last edited:
Today the Arlington County Board voted to pass the Micromobility Ordinance. From January 1, 2020 ebikes will be permitted to ride on Arlington County multi use trails https://newsroom.arlingtonva.us/release/county-board-votes-to-regulate-e-scooters/

Here are a few items people who ride ebikes in Arlington County, VA, need to consider:
- ebikes that meet Virginia state definition of a power assisted electric bicycle (from July 1, 2020 this would be up to 750w, 28mph) are permitted to ride on County multi use trails up to a 20mph trail speed limit.
- a new 6mph speed limit applies to ebikes riding on sidewalks in the County, and no sidewalk riding where a PBL is in place.
- child passengers under 14 must wear a helmet.

In addition the new state 3-Class ebike law coming into effect July 1, 2020 requires Class 3 ebikes to have a speedometer in view of the rider, and all e-bikes sold after January 1, 2021 require a label indicating the ebike Class, continuous rated power, and top speed.

Last edited:
Back