Rearview Safety Options For Ebikes

I own both the take a look and Mirrycle bar end. Haven't used the take a look in years, mirrycle is used every ride. Much more convenient to get on the bike and go for me.

I have tried several different mirrors and my favorite for years now is the Bike Peddler Take-a-look. Stable, easy to mount and with a good field of view. Mounting it to the helmet may require zip ties, depending on design, but you can also mount it onto your glasses.
I have gotten so used to it that I catch myself looking to the upper left, even when I am not riding my bike and not wearing my helmet.
Absolutely great mirror, easy to get used to. Combined with hearing (never any music...do you want to live biking on the road?), forewarned and safe.

I've tried the little mirror and didn't really like it. You have to focus too much on the mirror to see. I've also tried the mirror attached to the bars and its a little easier but my arm blocks some of the view. I currently have the rear camera option tied to a small 12v battery. I replaced the battery with a 18v 1.5 ah battery that has an on/off switch. That lasts about 4 hours. Cost was $30 on Amazon.

This unit handles 6v-36v I believe. So a 9v battery would work. I tried that too.

IMG_20180714_172644.jpgIMG_20180714_172740.jpgIMG_20180714_172907.jpg

Would be nice to get a screen without the backup lines. Like this one...

https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Vox-Par...534350856&sr=8-19&keywords=rear+backup+camera

I've seen some where you can disable the lines by disconnecting a cable. I plan on hooking it up to my main battery using a DC to DC converter to go from 48v down to 12v that I got from Grin.

Last edited:
Very cool! How visible is the screen under different lighting conditions?

I'll have to check on that. Most of the time I use it is in the city during the day. I'll have to take some pictures of the screen on my morning commute when the sun is just starting to come up.

This morning I took a picture of the camera in low light. I don't see the horizontal lines looking at the screen so I'm not sure why its in the picture.

I added some small lights near it to see if that helps. It probably doesn't help during the day but more at night. It's a cloudy day so sometimes its dark and other times its bright. I can also try moving the camera elsewhere on the bike. Maybe the frame and rear lights are blocking some of the light.

IMG_20180816_064322.jpgIMG_20180816_064335.jpg

Not knowing what's behind you and constantly craning around to see can be a bit unbalancing and unsafe.

We've included three of the most popular options for rearview safety and a way to try all three of them on Amazon.

Handle Bar Mirror

View attachment 22309

Here is one of the more popular options for under $30 on Amazon, the Mirrycle Bar End Bicycle Mirror. This mirror is highly recommended by many riders, it works on the right or left side and comes with 2 adapters for large and small diameter holes. It is convex, which may not be everyone's ideal fit. For a casual commute on smooth roads, this mirror will most likely hold up pretty well. However, the plastic arm doesn't handle extreme temperatures well, and some users report that setting up can be tricky.

Furthermore, any kind of handlebar mirror will be subject to vibration unless it's tightened as much as possible, and even with the best mirror it's likely that it will have to be retightened after a long ride.

Bike Mirror on Helmet

View attachment 22308

These mirrors are quick and easy to attach with a velcro strap. The crystal view flat mirror helps you accurately judge the distance of objects behind you much better than a curved or convex mirror. 360° of adjustment allows you to use your peripheral vision to accurately see everything behind, while maintaining a clear view of the road ahead. The shaft length places the mirror at a perfect distance in front of you so it stays steady even during bumpy rides. What makes this a nice alternative to the handlebar mirror is that it doesn't turn with the bike, and it remains stable during bumpy rides.

Backup Camera as a Mirror

Check out this video that features a custom electric bike

Using a backup camera for a mirror is brilliant!

Here are some wonderful camera options for under $30 on Amazon.

View attachment 22310

Here's why this option stands above the rest. First, it's waterproof and has 7 LED lights for enhanced night capability. Second, features night vision, which already provides more options than regular mirrors. You have to provide a 12-volt power source, however, so keep that in mind when purchasing.

Final Thoughts

All three options have their pros and cons, and what works for one rider may be a nuisance for another. We gathered some budget-friendly options so that riders can try all three options out without breaking the bank.

What are your thoughts?

Leave a comment in the comment section.
I have used these little mirrors for years on bikes.

As a direct comparison test, I rode with both mirrors.

This motorcycle duel sport mirror is SO real world superior! The little mirror requires a direct and purposeful look in its direction and a moment to orientate your view from the small mirror. It gets annoying to continuously look and monitor rear traffic through it. There is also quite a bit of vibration blurring to deal with. The large mirror sets in the peripheral view and images are immediately in a normal perspective as in the use of an automotive rearview mirror.
IMG_8774.JPG

Although I do have a handlebar end mirror, my best rear view assistant is the Garmin varia. The mirror bounces around with bumpy trails, and the varia has seen things before I've spotted them in the mirror especially in darker trails

thats why I have a garmin radar so I dont have to look in a mirror as much. I dont want a big bulky mirror on my bike and never needed one.
My motorcycling years have accustomed me to their use so I dont mind it at all. If on a nice pedal road bike.. it would be an issue for me though. I will look into the radar device. It would be very useful on my duel sport motorcycles where I spend a lot of time standing and need to know when someone is approaching from the rear other than the use of a helmet mirror.

My motorcycling years have accustomed me to their use so I dont mind it at all. If on a nice pedal road bike.. it would be an issue for me though. I will look into the radar device. It would be very useful on my duel sport motorcycles where I spend a lot of time standing and need to know when someone is approaching from the rear other than the use of a helmet mirror.
its nice because the audio warnings save some mirror time. plus its easier seeing distance back with it.

I feel mirrors are such an important safety item that they should come standard with a bike. Mine is a simple traditional mirror. Nothing fancy.

I have this system on my Wart Hog MD 750 bike, and waiting for the extra parts to get here so I can have one on my new Jugg 4 bike, that is supposed to be here at any time.

Works extremely well and provides outstanding video, and provides proof of what happened. Vehicles give me more room also, along with my traffic stick.
Hth's

Back