Rear wheel flats

Broncobusted

Region
USA
Hello everyone. So I have an aventure 2. I just replaced the rear tire for the first time and now I can't seem to take a ride without getting a flat. I live in the southwest and I use Thorn resistant tubes with slime.I have began to wonder if the original tires are rated for weight much like a Harley tire. I am unable to find original tires from China. Has anyone else had a similar issue ?
Thanks for any response

Welcome aboard!

What tires are you running now? Some tires are more puncture-resistant than others. Some manufacturers, like Specialized and Schwalbe, even rate their tires on that score.

Fat tires have a rear flat thing going on. They are wider and lower pressure, so that combination puts less pressure per square inch on the ground. Given that, a front wheel can roll over a sharp-sided object and nothing happens, except it gloms onto the thing and releases it a hair after it raises it off the ground. Where the rear tire promptly runs over it. If the pointy end is facing the tread...

I was/am a moderator on a discussion group that was almost all fat tire riders at one point, and it was a really common issue.

a solution
Yes, Jumbo Jims. You are likely getting a combination of flats due to a number of factors. When you extract the tube and pump it what does it look like. Is it split like a smile on a golf ball? Or, is it a pin prick? Tubes need to be installed while partially inflated to prevent a twist. These are mostly pinch flats. It is not an 'off road' bike. That is hype. It is a very heavy hub drive that comes with cheap tires.

Did anyone ever come up with a solution ?

I have Mr. Tuffy tires liners, Tannus inserts, and a half a bottle of Flat Out Sportsman Formula in each tire.
3600 km, no flats.

20230624_130413.jpg
20230811_130021.jpg

I regularly ride through an area close to home that's full of nails, broken glass, and discarded needles to test the tires.

My wheels weigh a ton, but I don't care.
It's a small price to prevent a flat tire.
(although I did spend $350 CAD for all the flat protection. )

Yes, Jumbo Jims.

I don't like the tread pattern on the Jumbo Jim's,..

Screenshot_20230912-190928_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20230912-190818_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I want street tires but I can't find my original tires anywhere.

I'm going to get these for my next tire.
They are only 3.5" but they apparently fit my rims,..
(I'll have to recalibrate my speedometer. )

Screenshot_20230912-191338_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20230912-191514_DuckDuckGo.jpg

So that's $63 times 2 plus converting to CAD, plus shipping, plus duty,..

So hopefully less than $500 at the door. 😂

I wasn't too happy with the Tannus Armour.
It was almost an inch thick at the center of the tread when I installed them.
They compressed to about ¼" thick when I removed the tires to install the Mr. Tuffy liners.

Apparently, you're supposed to let the air out of the tires after every ride so the pressurized tubes don't compress the pink foam.
Then you're supposed to suspend your e-bike in the air so it isn't sitting on flat tires.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME ??!!!
F-That crap.

I almost threw them out but figured they can only help, except for adding weight.

As far as my MPG goes,.. Tannus rolls a lot more efficiently after it gets squashed. 😂

Hello everyone. So I have an aventure 2. I just replaced the rear tire for the first time and now I can't seem to take a ride without getting a flat. I live in the southwest and I use Thorn resistant tubes with slime.I have began to wonder if the original tires are rated for weight much like a Harley tire. I am unable to find original tires from China. Has anyone else had a similar issue ?
Thanks for any response
Hello,
I run Schwalbe Marathon + Flatless tires on both my Trek e-bikes, a XM700+ Commuter and a Powerfly7 MTB..I have no flats
in over 7000 miles combined on both sets. Never a flat on the Marathon plus. I strongly recommend you spend
some time checking out Schwalbe link below...

Schwalbe tires aren't cheap, but in my opinion worth every penny. I love these tires !
Check back and let us know how you make out.

https://www.schwalbetires.com/blog/news/innovation/flat-less/

Good luck,
John

I would gladly spend the money for Schwalbe tires, but there is nothing in my size available with a street type tread. (26"X4.00")

Back