Rear rack for full suspension mountain bike

Dave M

Wondering if anyone has used this rack before for mounting a battery on the back https://www.bikebagshop.com/omm-sherpa-rear-rack-p-1133.html

I just had a full suspension mountain bike converted and was not aware of all the issues people seem to have with a rear rack before making the decision to to this. The rack they put on did not make it 5 miles before coming loose, I just do not see it holding up. The above rack seems like it might work

Wondering if the back for the battery, is probably the safest way to ride the trails?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Post a pic of what you have now perhaps?

In general keeping the battery weight as low as possible and centrally located is best for good bike handling characteristics on trails.

I'm with @JRA it would be nice to see the setup you've got now and confirm that you're trying to mount a battery to the rack while trying to identify other possible places before sharing too many thoughts. As far as rear racks for full suspension bicycles go though, the rack you found looks pretty solid. I've heard other people go for this one http://amzn.to/2gTTBGm but I haven't tried it myself yet :)

@Court a few people on here have that Thule rack, seems like the best option for a full sus...but I would put it on the front fork not the rear (that is my plan...have one of these on the table waiting for sorting myself!).

Regardless, I highly doubt any rack is going to stand up to the weight of a battery on a suspension mounted rack, front or rear. Just too much unsprung weight.

I think I may do the back pack, this rack is ok for light duty but heavy duty singlet tack I do not think it will hold up

[/ATTACH] 20161216_174525.jpg 20161216_174438.jpg

Probably wouldn't want the battery on that setup for sure Dave.

Looks like your bike has plenty of room for a standard Dolphin and especially a Shark type battery though inside the frame attached to the down tube in front of the shock mount? There might even be some water bottle brazeons there to mount to. It would be a better place for the weight anyway.

Personally the thought of a battery in a back pack gives me hives.

Probably wouldn't want the battery on that setup for sure Dave.

Looks like your bike has plenty of room for a standard Dolphin and especially a Shark type battery though inside the frame attached to the down tube in front of the shock mount? There might even be some water bottle brazeons there to mount to. It would be a better place for the weight anyway.

Personally the thought of a battery in a back pack gives me hives.
it may look to have room but it does not, that was my first choice. I am hoping for a small battery to to put under the seat post like the mini cube, I think that will handle most of rides. then the back pack for longer rides (I here you on the concern of strapping a battery on), I know there are many folks doing the back pack, just not a whole lot of info posted on the details to make one, but it should not be to hard to figure out.

Back