RCS Battery got wet. Real wet. What should I do?

EdS59

Through an oversight, I left my battery outdoors after working on my RCS. Ouch! Big problem though: it rained and water got into the 52V battery case. As you can readily see, I need some advice as to how I can salvage the battery. I have not turned it on and I have loosened the case screws to let the moisture drip out. Any and all
guidance is greatly appreciated.

I dunno what yur battery looks like, but here in the rain forest mine frequently gets wet riding.
My batteries are of the dorado type. The only part I worry about is water reaching the connection
points. If RCS means a Rip Current S, your have the dorado type also. I don´t think you need to
panic unless you found moisture in the connection. That has happened, but when it does the
battery will short out & fry the connection. You should be okay.
P.S. I alway remove the battery after a ride, itś a good idea. When transporting on my rack,
the battery remains in the vehicle, & I put duck tape over the connector to keep it dry, as I
have often travelled in the rain. You´d pretty much have to completely immerse that battery to
damage it. Check to see if the fuses got wet too....Oh, be sure to remove tape b4 installing
battery. Not doing so can lead to momentary panic when the bike doesn´t turn on.:eek:

Last edited:
I dunno what yur battery looks like, but here in the rain forest mine frequently gets wet riding.
My batteries are of the dorado type. The only part I worry about is water reaching the connection
points. If RCS means a Rip Current S, your have the dorado type also. I don´t think you need to
panic unless you found moisture in the connection. That has happened, but when it does the
battery will short out & fry the connection. You should be okay.
P.S. I alway remove the battery after a ride, itś a good idea. When transporting on my rack,
the battery remains in the vehicle, & I put duck tape over the connector to keep it dry, as I
have often travelled in the rain. You´d pretty much have to completely immerse that battery to
damage it. Check to see if the fuses got wet too....Oh, be sure to remove tape b4 installing
battery. Not doing so can lead to momentary panic when the bike doesn´t turn on.:eek:
John: Thanks for the info and guidance. The battery dried out and there hasn't been any problem. I originally thought that it was ruined and the thought of buying a new $1299 battery was painful. Thanks again, Ed

John: Thanks for the info and guidance. The battery dried out and there hasn't been any problem. I originally thought that it was ruined and the thought of buying a new $1299 battery was painful. Thanks again, Ed
Glad yur cool. Depending on the length of yur battery, you could get a 13ah from Leoncycle in Seatte for
$300. a 16ah for $400, both dorados, but yur RCS batt. might be of shorter length. This type battery
is well sealed. If yur battery is about 18¨ long those batteries would work for you as a spare. If yurs
is 15¨ long they won´t. I have both, but I´m very happy with the two 13ah for my moscow. I also have
two 15¨s left from my parts bike CCS, 21ah & 8 ah. A 13ah on the moscow gets better mileage than
the 21ah ever did on the CCS. At some point the battery weight starts to cancel out the range.

Back