Range at 28 mph

kevinkiller

Does anyone have the 28 mph class 3 version?

If so, what's your range in mode 3 at 28 mph?

Also, can the motor actually keep that speed for the entire battery or does it overheat and slow down?

Thanks.

Also, can the motor actually keep that speed for the entire battery or does it overheat and slow down?

Thanks.

Don't have an Ohm but do have a bike that will do 28 mph and you will be using around 30 wh/mi to reach and come close to maintains that speed on level ground with active pedaling. So if you have a 500 wh battery you would get perhaps 16 or so miles of range, but here is an example from a ride I did to test the theory.

unnamed-1.jpg

Pushing air past 23 or so becomes a big factor. Terrain, road surface, stops and starts all must be factored in. Averaging close to 20 mph is more realistic and potentially almost double your range as per this example which also included a good amount of elevation gain/loss
F94304E7-9379-455A-8271-F12960BEC1EF.jpg

So to answer your question somewhere in that neighborhood!

Assuming we use the current model of Ohm Urban commuter ebike and plugging in the ebike's information to the ebike simulator website: http://www.electricbikesimulator.com/index,enmi.html
This is what you get: By clicking the "Range" button, the range vs speed window will appear.. At 28 mph your range will be 17-18 miles. But I doubt if the battery can maintain a 500 watt output nor the motor can continue to operate at 500 watts without overheating. (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Playing with the simulator, you need to dial the throttle all the way up to achieve this and it will give you a whole bunch of information from range at the top left, to power and power consumption at the bottom right.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Last edited:
The range you will get at 28 Km per hour depends on the terrain as well as the wind resistance and direction. I've averaged rides at 23-25 km per hour with over 100 km distance. In the end the variables are considerable. Ya might consider another mode of travel if you need to get there that fast. ;-)

The range you will get at 28 Km per hour depends on the terrain as well as the wind resistance and direction. I've averaged rides at 23-25 km per hour with over 100 km distance. In the end the variables are considerable. Ya might consider another mode of travel if you need to get there that fast. ;-)
Ken S what size battery do you have to achieve the 100km range at 23-25 km/hr

550 Wh standard battery. Typically I get 70-80 km in town averaging 22-23 km but on trips range and average km generally increase unless of course I get a headwind.

Understood Jeff. I'm simply stating what my performance (typical) is, if the user wishes to convert or not that is up to them. No need to state the obvious.

Thanks.
It's a good thing that Justin from Grin Technologies was able to sample the BionX D series. At the right lower table, you will see the range of about 16 miles, the motor does not overheat at that speed (63 deg C final temp). At the middle lower table shows that the battery is discharging at 878 watts, while only 84.6% of it is converted mechanical power.
http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulato...i&mass_b=110&hp_b=50&throt_b=32&grade_b=0&k=1

Regarding the question about the battery able to produce enough power continuously without overheating, I don't know the answer to that. Maybe somebody can chime in and teach us about battery discharge capacity, C rating, and how to interpret it.

Last edited:
I just received my Ohm Urban Class 3 speed peddlec bike 8 days ago but have to gradually work my body up to that 28 mph level over a fair distance. We have lots of ups and downs in NWArkansas even on our beautiful regional trail system. As I ride longer and longer distances I will be able to give you more accurate answers, although Ken S has by far the most riding and distance experience on the Ohm bikes and the BionX system. I do find it easy to quickly get up to 23-25 mph on the long straight level sections of our trails with this bike, but our trail system speed limit is 15 so I won't be riding this fast on lengthy rides until I move to more street riding. The only times I have experienced quick battery drain and perhaps some battery heating was when I used the throttle alone going up hills on some more level sections - the BionxD motor really likes you to pedal at all times going uphill. I drained about 8 percent using the throttle plus peddling versus 3 percent peddling at level 4 of assist but no throttle going up the longest steepest hill to my house.

Thanks.

In mode 3 I can definitely get over 20 miles. My longest commute so far is a little over 20 miles and I switched between 3 and 4 on that ride. Even mixed in some throttle only.

Have had many more miles and trips now. Went on 25 mile trip on trails (3 miles of street) using level 3 throughout and ended up using 52% of my battery (the final long hill was at level 4 - used 4% of battery on this hill alone). I therefore estimate my range at level 3 at 50 miles without that final hill - a few less if I save enough to climb that last long hill home. I averaged 14 mph for the entire trip, but I was going 20-24 mph whenever I could between the walkers/runners, street stops, tunnels, and sharp curves on our trail system. Totally agree with JRA that speeds above 23 mph really suck the battery down because of the air resistance. I tried that on a shorter ride last week and my battery went down much faster than I anticipated. At this point I feel that 50 miles is a realistic range at level 3 pedaling 20-24 mph. The only time my motor has slowed down or seemed to labor at all was at level 4 going up a long hill and if I am in the lowest gear and pedaling hard this is very minor. Hope this helps.

Back