Raleigh Redux IE - Questions

BernieS

I like the Redux IE a lot and am thinking of getting one from a nearby LBS. But I have a few questions regarding accessorizing the bike.

1. Lights — I would like a headlight and taillight that are integrated into the electrical system rather than being separately charged through a USB connection. I like the idea of the light always being on when the bike is under power (daytime running light) so that’s not an issue for me. Has anybody had any success with this kind of set up? Any other lighting ideas?

2. Fenders — I was thinking of getting a set of SKS Commuter 2 fenders. What other plastic fenders might I consider?

3. Mirror — I wanted a bar end type mirror. Any suggestions from experience? I don’t want to use a helmet mirror. Done that before.

4. Rear rack — I am considering a Topeak UNI Explorer (Disc) rack in order to carry grocery panniers and a trunk bag. Any thoughts?

5. Chainguard — I wanted a chain guard so I wouldn’t have to be rolling up my pant leg every time I ride. My dealer thinks it might be difficult finding a suitable chain guard that wasn’t very flimsy. Any ideas on this?

So those are the main accessories that I wanted to get input about from people experienced with the Redux IE. Thank you in advance.

I'm not sure if you found what you were looking for, but I recently sold one of these bikes and I think I might be able to provide some insight.

1. For the lights. I would check out this recent thread here, you should be able to use any ebike lights that accept a 6v DC lead. Here is a thread I started to give you some background.

2. I installed a set of Specialized Roll Fenders on the bike here and I think it came out really nice. They match the satin black finish well. I didn't get too many pics, but I listed one below. I had to notch out the rear fender at the seat stays a bit and I also drilled a hole to install the screw at the seat stay bridge, other than that it was pretty straight forward.

3. We usually recommend Busch & Muller Mirrors, they are German made and many are made specifically for ebikes. I plan to make a post about mirrors eventually, but let me know if you need help sourcing one. Peter White Cycles is the main distributor in the US, but we stock every style.

4. The Topeak rack is a nice choice. Recently we have been experimenting with the Ortlieb QL3 racks, it's a really nice system if you're planning on adding panniers. It's a cleaner look too.

5. The chain guard is going to be tough, but you could try the SKS Chainboard or something similar. They have a lot of products, but they're not all available in the US.

I hope this helps.

unnamed.jpg

Thanks, Chris. The Redux looks sharp with the fenders. I appreciate the information. I missed the post on lights. Lots of good info there.

@Chris Nolte - thanks for calling out these fenders. I'm gearing up for the rain and was looking for some satin finish black fenders that match my Redux (which, btw, I totally enjoy riding!). I'm not super-savvy on bike stuff. My local shop wants an additional $50 to custom install these, which sounds like a lot for a relatively simple job. Can you share a bit more about what kinds of tools would be need to make the adjustments you mention? I'm guessing that notching out the rear fender for the seat stays is fairly easy with a pair of sturdy clippers/wire cutter, but I'm a little less clear about drilling a hole "to install the screw at the seat stay bridge." Would I need a special drill bit for this? Any input or direction you can provide would be much appreciated...

thx,
Oren

@Chris Nolte - thanks for calling out these fenders. I'm gearing up for the rain and was looking for some satin finish black fenders that match my Redux (which, btw, I totally enjoy riding!). I'm not super-savvy on bike stuff. My local shop wants an additional $50 to custom install these, which sounds like a lot for a relatively simple job. Can you share a bit more about what kinds of tools would be need to make the adjustments you mention? I'm guessing that notching out the rear fender for the seat stays is fairly easy with a pair of sturdy clippers/wire cutter, but I'm a little less clear about drilling a hole "to install the screw at the seat stay bridge." Would I need a special drill bit for this? Any input or direction you can provide would be much appreciated...

thx,
Oren
I don't think $50 is unreasonable for that job. Although I completely understand if you want to give it a go on your own. For drilling the hole you don't need a special drill, just a small bit that will clear the hole for the screw. You might also need some bike specific bolts, but I don't have the bike here so I can't say specifically which ones.

The Raleigh Electric site shows the 2018 redux with fenders, rack and lights- for $3700. Too bad, the interbike video I saw had the rep giving a price of $3K. Looks like the 2017 is on sale for a couple hundreds less than before.

Looked at a 2018 Redux today, on sale for $2999. Lights, rack, fenders. I took it for a test ride and really liked it- quiet, smooth, powerful- and very natural feeling. Damn, I may buy this bike. They’re sold out of size Large but should have small and medium: apparently this is a national sale through 1/31.

I’d love to hear thoughts from other owners. It looks like there are some changes from 2017, which maybe had shock absorbance built into the stem and seatpost? Not the 2018, but damn, this is a sweet looking bike.

Hey @Carterk - the 2018 line sounds really great. I have a 2017 and mostly love it. I had a few small issues which I documented in the main thread for the bike on this forum, which were easily fixed by the shop. My latest issue - which is very strange - is that the battery seating seems to have come un-hinged from it's 'mooring' in the downtube. The bike is still under warranty, thankfully, so the shop will be able to fix it. Haven't heard of anything like this happening before, so not sure what's up. Will check back in when I find out.

Basically - a couple of days ago I noticed a strange rattling sound on my ride. I finally determined that it was comign from the battery. i checked that it was firmly seated and clicked into place, which it was. I didn't have the battery key with me so couldn't investigate further. It continued to rattle like heck all day. When I got home and unlocked the battery, I found that the TOP portion which usually slides right out was not releasing and instead was coming off with the seating and wires in the down tube!

This seems like a strange occurrence. Overall I love this bike and highly recommend it. Sweet that you can get the newer model with the full kit! Let us know how you like it if you purchas.e

I’m a little stumped for reasons not to just buy this 2018 Redux- the best I can come up with is the lack of a suspension fork. I do get numbness in my hands on long rides, so I’m wondering if I should hold out for suspension.

The 2017 Redux apparently had a tranzx ‘vibration dampening’ stem, which the 2018 lacks. OJS, do you have any feelings about that stem- does it seem to help?

Doesn't seem to help much... It can be a bumpy ride, esp if you're in the city. It doesn't bother me much... if you're sensitive, a suspension fork could definitely help.

When I got home and unlocked the battery, I found that the TOP portion which usually slides right out was not releasing and instead was coming off with the seating and wires in the down tube!

This seems like a strange occurrence.

Hi there. Old thread, I know, but just wondering what ever happened for you on this issue.

I got my Raleigh Redux IE (2017) on 3/26 and during my first 10 mile ride the exact same thing happened.

Two of the four screws actually fell down into the housing area. One of them fell out when I turned the bike upside down. The other wouldn't come out no matter how hard I shook it (have you ever dropped a pick into a guitar hole? It was like that only about 50 pound heavier). I ended up taking the housing off the motor to fish it out. The screws became stripped and wouldn't screw back in tightly. :(

Raleigh is being totally cool about it and having a local dealership fix it under warranty. I bought it direct online so was a little concerned. So far I've had great customer service from them even receiving a call when I emailed asking about fenders.

I think I'm going to put some mesh screen in the gap where the battery latch is so any debris will get trapped and not make it into the motor housing.

Love love loved riding it though. So fun! Hope to have it back this weekend.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• Battery Connection plate loose 2.jpg
    Battery Connection plate loose 2.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 2,752
  • Battery Connection plate loose 4.jpg
    Battery Connection plate loose 4.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 2,620
  • Found screw in housing2.jpg
    Found screw in housing2.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 2,532
  • Complete Bike.jpg
    Complete Bike.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 2,918
  • Complete Bike2.jpg
    Complete Bike2.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 2,781
Good news. Raleigh customer service came through and the local dealer got me fixed up. The shop was a little slow but I can't fault Raleigh for that.

They ended up using non metric screws and a bunch of epoxy to re-attach the connection plate. Took it on a 25 mile round trip commute to work last Tuesday and it did great. If the weather stops being weird here in Denver I plan to get a lot more miles in next week.

Will post some pictures and do a decent review in the near future. This bike is great. Such an adrenaline rush to ride.

Back