RadWagon 4....

AHicks

Region
USA
City
Snow Bird - Summer S.E. Michigan, Winter Gulf Coast North Central Fl.
Looks like they FINALLY got their act together with this revision. Along with other changes, they FINALLY decided maybe the direct drive rear hub wasn't really the better system for this bike, and have gone with a gear diven rear hub. Congratulations. This bike now makes some sense.

Looks like they FINALLY got their act together with this revision. Along with other changes, they FINALLY decided maybe the direct drive rear hub wasn't really the better system for this bike, and have gone with a gear diven rear hub. Congratulations. This bike now makes some sense.
Finally! Now they just have to make a second mount for an extra battery,

Knowing full
and still no hydraulic brakes.. are they purposely avoiding it or what

Geez, considering the bike's price point, and knowing full well the mechanical disks work fine, I'm OK with the brakes that come with it. You want the better brakes, bolt a set on it....

actually, with 22 inch wheels on RadWagon, it might be fine. But I still think they should give customers option though, as an accessory.

That's something I've never understood about RAD, and a lot of others really. They are just not into accessories. It's like they have tunnel vision. You get the bike the way we sell it, no exceptions....

A guy like Bolton can/will make a lot of money because he's figured out it's NOT just about what the OEM offers.....

He's smart Timpo. Working just like RAD, he keeps his inventory low on purpose. Think supply and demand. Low inventory keeps demand, and prices, from tanking on you and leaving you with a warehouse full of stuff that you can't get rid of (for whatever reason). -Al

I bought the PSWpower accessory brakes handles, speed sensor, etc. so they would come matched to the controller. Then I pitched everything OEM but the battery and PAS sensor. All that leaves is matching up the motor, the battery, and the 3 wire speed sensor. Just a couple hours of work....

Your Bafang setup looks even simpler. You aren't getting any wild ideas are you?

And I just realized, it is extremely difficult to find 22 inch tires. :eek:

RadWagon owner's can't just go to LBS and pick up 22 inch tires there, most likely they won't have it in stock, or can't even get one.

I use two suppliers. Only one stocks a 22" tire, and it is a 1.75", not a 3". Neither stocks a tube in that size either. Nor rims or wheels. Even spokes in the correct length would likely be difficult to find.

Congratulations. This bike now makes some sense.

If anyone asks me what I think about the RW4, I know what I will say, "Stay away!"

I use two suppliers. Only one stocks a 22" tire, and it is a 1.75", not a 3". Neither stocks a tube in that size either. Nor rims or wheels. Even spokes in the correct length would likely be difficult to find.

If anyone asks me what I think about the RW4, I know what I will say, "Stay away!"
How many tires have you gone through with your eBikes? I've only gotten to 3,800 miles, and it's hard to see any wear on mine. Just get a couple of tubes when you order the bike, and I'd say you are good to go for years!

How many tires have you gone through with your eBikes? I've only gotten to 3,800 miles, and it's hard to see any wear on them. Just get a couple of tubes when you order the bike, and I'd say you are good to go for years!

As you know, I run a co-op. It is not only about wear. Stuff happens. Tires fail from defects, blowouts, massive cuts, poor maintenance, etc. Most people do not work on their own bike, nor do they do not keep tubes or tires. Heck, many people can't even pump up a tire, let alone even own a pump.

I just don't see the benefit of buying a bike with the one thing that wears the most that you can't get anywhere other than from Rad.

As you know, I run a co-op. It is not only about wear. Stuff happens. Tires fail from defects, blowouts, massive cuts, poor maintenance, etc. Most people do not work on their own bike, nor do they do not keep tubes or tires. Heck, many people can't even pump up a tire, let alone even own a pump.

I just don't see the benefit of buying a bike with the one thing that wears the most that you can't get anywhere other than from Rad.
Not a big deal to buy two extra tires and tubes when you purchase the bike. I did that with the mini, no one sells 20 x 4“ tires around here where I live. Should’ve done it with the 26 x 4 tire for the rover, did not realize no one stocks those tire sizes at any local bike shops in the area.

I can tell you right now 26 x 4 and 20 x 4 are not that hard to get.
I'd say those are the two most standardized fat tire sizes.
They're all over Amazon and other online sites.. and it is not hard to find them at LBS at all, their suppliers can get them no problem.

Try finding 22 x 3, or anything close to that. I bet you can't.
where I live in Florida none of the bike shops carry those sizes out of three, the 22 x 3, I thought was a new size by rad so that makes sense that they would be unavailable at a local bike shop Or online

Not a big deal to buy two extra tires and tubes when you purchase the bike.

Rad does not list them on their site. Maybe they will when they actually have the bikes, but at this moment you cannot buy them (maybe you have to call?)

I thought was a new size by rad so that makes sense that they would be unavailable at a local bike shop Or online

If 26" is too big, and 20" too small, why couldn't they design the bike with 24" x 3"? At least any shop can get those.

I've been waiting for a RW revision, watching my infant grow on the back of my city stepthru, but I'm not buying because of the 22". Is rad known for having things regularly in stock? What happens when they decide 20/24 make more sense next year and it's not worth their money to carry 22 tubes, tires, and don't forget WHEELS and your 3 year old bike is now obsolete?

"Proprietary" has me looking elsewhere instead of clicking "buy" after months of waiting. Best case, I can find a RW3 on Craigslist. Should have bought in November.

I'm betting that 3 years from now, 24" conversions will be VERY popular (assuming the fork isn't also proprietary).

20" tubes will work perfectly fine in a 22" wheel. You don't need special 22" tubes.

Tires are a different story. Schwalbe is usually one of the best out there for making odd tire sizes, and I don't see any 22" tires on their site. Rad might be the only supplier for that.

Looking at a very optomistic glass half full, maybe some moron put that add together, another moron didn't catch the mistake when they approved it, and it's actually a more common size? It's hard to believe Rad would be that dumb - or they know something we don't.

Smaller tubes in a larger tire is usually not advisable, but larger tubes in smaller tires is done all the time. A lot of mountain bikers run different size wheels/tires front and rear, but carry only the larger tube.

If the 22" form factor really makes sense, it would be wise for Rad to line up rival manufacturers to produce to that spec, eg Juiced for a future Scorpion (which is pretty small for tall people). Same for Super 73. I doubt they have.

Will be interesting to see if the lack of support for 22" deters many people (I doubt it).

Looking at a very optomistic glass half full, maybe some moron put that add together, another moron didn't catch the mistake when they approved it, and it's actually a more common size? It's hard to believe Rad would be that dumb - or they know something we don't.
According to Micah Toll's initial review on Electrek:

"Those new wheels and tires come in a custom 22×3.0-inch size that was designed in-house by Rad Power Bikes’ engineering team, replacing the larger yet narrower 26×2.3″ tires on the previous RadWagon. "

And, it sounds like they may already have a bike as he promised a full review on the updated model soon.

Back