Radrover comming to play with.

Wayne Langille

Just ordered a 2018 black ravrover to play with, got a few ideas of fiberglass parts I want to build, like better fenders and side bags. My hobby is building more than driving. Built a few trike bodies that I sold in usa and Canada for the Burgman 650 with a trinity trike kit on it for a company in Florida . The body is called the Excaluber and I thing there are pictures on the net of it.
Had a stroke and lost some eyesight , now no licence to drive so will try a bike at 72 yrs old. Working on a body for a boomer beast off-road mobility scooter, all wheel drive electric.
Spent my life fishing lobsters for a living and building crazy things.
Are there any other from NS that have a ravrover?

Wayne.

Welcome to the family!

I have two 2016 Radrovers with +4500 miles between them. Fun ebike to ride for work commuting and fun rides. I added a suspension seat post, larger Cloud-9 seat, 1859 Northwest thumb throttle, Topeak rear rack+Topeak bag, and larger MTB pedals (size 14 shoes). The Kenda tires are a little noisy on paved surfaces and can get a lot of flats. Helps a little bit if you add Mr. Tuffy liners and tire sealant in the tube.

The tires will be changed when I get it . I want it for highway use. I want to try 2 1/2 in on front and 4 in on back.
Seat will have to be changed and a better head light and tail light. Been doing a lot of reading the web site the last few days.
Be fun building new fiberglass body parts this winter for it I hope.

Wayne

I ended up having faster acceleration, higher top speed, easier pedaling, and way less noise when I switch out the Kenda tires.

I did the Luna Cycle Triangle bag for both of my Rovers. I don't know if this bag will fit with the new larger battery? We don't get that cold in the winter with 20s/30s mostly (few days in teens). The bag does a pretty good job keeping the battery from getting too cold with wind chill, less dust/dirt trail riding, and keeping direct sunlight off the battery during the +95 degree summers. I have enough space inside the bag to hide my bike pump.

What kind of tires do you guys use btw?
Or is every tire better then the kenda ones? (thats what I believe) :D

I have Vee8 120tpi 26X4 tires now. I like them because they have a lot more knobby to help with flats, way less flats compared to the Kenda, and I was still able to do single track trail riding along with 18-22 mph work commuting. I don't think Vee8 Rubber is making this fat bike tire anymore? Out of stock everywhere I look now.

Urban and paved road riders had very good success with the 26X2.5 Maxxiss Hookworms or 26X4 Origin8 Supercell. I would go for either one of these if I was mostly paved riding with occasional hard packed trail.

The only new issue I had with the 120tpi tires are they are so flimsy and hard to seat properly by yourself with a hand pump. I now use 5 long velcro straps to secure around the tire to keep in place until I can pump the tube up enough to seat properly.

First pic is my Rover with the Vee8 and the other two are from another member on this forum. The member with the Maxxiss Hookworms did say it lowered the height of the Rad a little bit and there is a greater chance of the pedals hitting the ground on hard turns.

Attachments

• Vee8 Tires.jpg
    Vee8 Tires.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 611
  • Rad with Origin8.jpg
    Rad with Origin8.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 719
  • Rad with Maxxiss Hookworms.png
    Rad with Maxxiss Hookworms.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 644
Any expirience with Maxxis Mammoth TR EXO?
I looked at those, but they dont seem that different then the kendas, just that there is a additional knob where there´s nothing on the kendas and thats the exact place where I get the flats.

I do like the looks of those tires, but the Vee8 seem like they have a lot of rolling resistance.

Im looking for something with good durability (if possible tubeless ready) and low rolling resistance.

@mrgold35 I love those Supercells and I had them on my Amazon Wish List for when I get my bike (test riding a Yukon 750 on Saturday!) but now they're listed as being unavailable. I did find another bike shop that carried them, but of course no free shipping as with Amazon Prime.

The Vee8 are like an all season tire that splits the difference between 100% off road and 100% urban fat tires. Very limited selection for fat tires similar to the Vee8 in capabilities, sad to see them gone. They might have more rolling resistance compared to an urban tire; but, they are much lighter and accelerate faster than the Kenda. I had to replace my rear Kenda tire only after 800 miles because of paved road tire wear. I'm +1600 miles with Vee8 and maybe less than 1/3 worn with the same mix of riding.

The Maxxis Mammonth TR EXO or Vee Tire Mission Command look like possible replacements for me down the road. They just look more trail than pavement. I'm trying to avoid sounding like swarm of killer bees when riding down the road like with the Kenda.

The Origin8 Supercells would be top on my list also. I sometimes get flats from cactus thorns and broken tree branches with trail riding. I don't think the supercells would hold up against that.

Last edited:
Well the Mammoth TR EXO are marketed with having low rolling resistance though, so I hope they are quiet.

But anything is better then the kenda juggernaut killer swarm.
Sounds like a tank rolling.

And yeah, I love the looks of the supercells also, but Im just riding too much trail for that.
I ride around 65 - 70% forest paths/trail and 30 - 35% pavement, but changes sometimes to 50/50.

The Origin8 Supercells would be top on my list also. I sometimes get flats from cactus thorns and broken tree branches with trail riding. I don't think the supercells would hold up against that.
Strictly paved road riding for me. :cool:

The Vee8 are like an all season tire that splits the difference between 100% off road and 100% urban fat tires. Very limited selection for fat tires similar to the Vee8 in capabilities, sad to see them gone. They might have more rolling resistance compared to an urban tire; but, they are much lighter and accelerate faster than the Kenda. I had to replace my rear Kenda tire only after 800 miles because of paved road tire wear. I'm +1600 miles with Vee8 and maybe less than 1/3 worn with the same mix of riding.

The Maxxis Mammonth TR EXO or Vee Tire Mission Command look like possible replacements for me down the road. They just look more trail than pavement. I'm trying to avoid sounding like swarm of killer bees when riding down the road like with the Kenda.

sorry must have tapped my tablet and posted your quoted comment. Oops. I'm new here.

Last edited:
while commuting to my office on the stock Kendas, I took a top speed turn in the middle of the street lane and my tail gave me 3 good wiggles. Somehow I was upright still with all the (Stuff) scared out of me. I ordered Supercells the moment is stepped inside. I received my tires in 24 hours from Prime. I have never once felt insecure with top-speed traction since and they do a better job on the trail than I expected. No liners and never seen a flat. They have great rubber to road contact so braking is much improved as well. Hope my experience helps the next. Good day!

What kind of tires do you guys use btw?
Or is every tire better then the kenda ones? (thats what I believe) :D
Lol Kendas are okay depending where you ride. Supercells for road and packed paths on my bike. Sometimes woody trails if we head than way but not as often as the aforementioned paths.

while commuting to my office on the stock Kendas, I took a top speed turn in the middle of the street lane and my tail gave me 3 good wiggles. Somehow I was upright still with all the (Stuff) scared out of me. I ordered Supercells the moment is stepped inside. I received my tires in 24 hours from Prime. I have never once felt insecure with top-speed traction since and they do a better job on the trail than I expected. No liners and never seen a flat. They have great rubber to road contact so braking is much improved as well. Hope my experience helps the next. Good day!

The 3 good wiggles probably from only having a few of spaced out tire knobs on the Kenda in contact with the pavement on the tight turn. I also think switching to Supercells, Hookworms, or Vee8 will help in braking since you have a larger contact patch with the tire.

The 3 good wiggles probably from only having a few of spaced out tire knobs on the Kenda in contact with the pavement on the tight turn. I also think switching to Supercells, Hookworms, or Vee8 will help in braking since you have a larger contact patch with the tire.

I couldn't agree more

Amazon has the Supercells 26x4 available again... i thought someone needed some on here and was waiting until September backorder. Idk...

Back