RADPower in Canada

Sailormannn

Have been looking at Ebikes for a while but the area we live in west of Toronto, Canada isn't well served with independent shops that service bikes they don't sell. And the Ebikes they do sell are mainly branded names pushing $3000 and up. There's plenty of Ebikes in stores selling for more than $5,000 and some more than $10,000. I'm interested in an Ebike, but $10,000...um no.

Lots of Ebikes are bought online here or through Costco. Costco had the IGO CORE eXtreme 2.0 early in the season on sale, and it sold out quickly. With the pandemic, the dealer bikes under $2500 sold out quickly too. And service when you can find it is backed up.

Got to wonder if RAD are looking to expand their presence east. The Mobile Service Van is a great concept, but RAD has no physical presence here east of BC. With a presence or at least some after sales service, the market would be large. Or maybe it's easier to sell bikes online and let the customer figure out service between doing it themselves or finding an independent shop that does. But there's over 6 million people that live in the Greater Toronto Area and a ton of people who ride bikes.

Wonder if anyone who has a stake in Rad can comment on their future vision as a company. In the meantime bike-on.

I've had my Rad Rover for exactly two years today. Never had the slightest need to take it to a shop. I do just about everything myself but there has been a time or two Rad has helped over the phone. YouTube is great for things out on the edge of my experience and ability, like tuning a derailleur, which I have now done with beautiful results. Not that any of that means something won't come up where I need professional help. Here in the Nashville area, and surely around Toronto, we can find someone willing to work on our bikes.

None of that answers your question, I know. I have no idea what Rad's plans are, but I don't suspect they'll create a dealer network anytime soon, so if they do expand, it seems likely it will be on a spot basis, like maybe to Atlanta and/or Montreal. Maybe Nashville and Toronto, but I'm not holding my breathe.

TT

I've had my Rad Rover for exactly two years today. Never had the slightest need to take it to a shop. I do just about everything myself but there has been a time or two Rad has helped over the phone. YouTube is great for things out on the edge of my experience and ability, like tuning a derailleur, which I have now done with beautiful results. Not that any of that means something won't come up where I need professional help. Here in the Nashville area, and surely around Toronto, we can find someone willing to work on our bikes.

None of that answers your question, I know. I have no idea what Rad's plans are, but I don't suspect they'll create a dealer network anytime soon, so if they do expand, it seems likely it will be on a spot basis, like maybe to Atlanta and/or Montreal. Maybe Nashville and Toronto, but I'm not holding my breathe.

TT

Good points. The advantage with Rad too is the size of the RAD community which helps. They seem committed to be around a while too vs some of the other online sellers with a smaller footprint. Expanding the Mobile Van Service would be a great add.

I'm on the far east coast of Canada, bought a used 2018 RadRover a little more than a year ago, and have been able to easily manage the maintenance. My local bike shop replaced the bottom bracket cartridge. I've upgraded the controller & display myself, changed the freewheel, installed and adjusted new brakes pads, fixed 2 flat rear tires, installed fenders and racks. The front rack installation required disconnection and rerouting of the control wires and cables. Rad bikes have good online community support. If you're comfortable with maintenance of an analog bike, you can probably handle it. The electrics are plug and play, and easily accessed, unlike some high end bikes.

If you take all your bike maintenance to a shop, then you probably need dealer support. Coincidentally, I also looked at IGO, but they were being sold out of a small eBike shop in Shediac, NB that appeared to have good service. The IGO website lists 2 dealers in the GTA.
I have no idea what the current availability of IGO is.
http://thebikezone.com/
https://eprider.com/

If you're considering an online purchase, Voltbike is another Canadian option. I know 2 people who have purchased the Voltbike Yukon, and one was this year. Neither person has any complaints. I bought my fenders and racks from Voltbike. Price and delivery were excellent.

I'm on the far east coast of Canada, bought a used 2018 RadRover a little more than a year ago, and have been able to easily manage the maintenance. My local bike shop replaced the bottom bracket cartridge. I've upgraded the controller & display myself, changed the freewheel, installed and adjusted new brakes pads, fixed 2 flat rear tires, installed fenders and racks. The front rack installation required disconnection and rerouting of the control wires and cables. Rad bikes have good online community support. If you're comfortable with maintenance of an analog bike, you can probably handle it. The electrics are plug and play, and easily accessed, unlike some high end bikes.

If you take all your bike maintenance to a shop, then you probably need dealer support. Coincidentally, I also looked at IGO, but they were being sold out of a small eBike shop in Shediac, NB that appeared to have good service. The IGO website lists 2 dealers in the GTA.

If you're considering an online purchase, Voltbike is another Canadian option. I know 2 people who have purchased the Voltbike Yukon, and one was this year. Neither person has any complaints. I bought my fenders and racks from Voltbike. Price and delivery were excellent.

Goodstuff. Thanks for the info. Did you use the Bolton upgrade kit for your RadRover.

Voltbike has been around for 5 or 6 years now, they are busy and backed up but the Yukon 750 is a very good bike for 2000 Canadian $ I am very impressed with mine

Back