RadMission1 - Hill Climbing edition

Flashbulb_RI

Region
USA
I've had my RadMission for about 2 years, I like the bike! One concern I’ve had is when climbing a steep prolonged hill, I have to put a lot of pressure on my legs and the drivetrain because the bike is geared kind of high. A single speed bike is always going to be a compromise.

I recently swapped out the stock 16 tooth flywheel for a 20 tooth. It's it makes the bike noticeably easier to hill climb, in addition I can now pedal the bike on flat ground with 0 PAS easily, extending the range of the bike.

The downside is that at higher speeds (approximately +16MPH) the bike is more prone to ghost pedaling, not a bad trade-off for me because I'm not much of a speed demon but others might not like it.

Details: I had to put on a new chain and add two links to compensate for the larger cog/flywheel. I also needed to tighten the spring on the chain tensioner by one hole, otherwise the chain was skipping under load. The chain tensioner is of really poor quality and proprietary, you can only get one from RAD. I ordered a spare from RAD a while back and needed it when I went to tighten the spring on the tensioner because the internal threads became stripped when putting it back on. Without that extra tensioner on hand, I would not have attempted to tighten the spring. I've had problems with the crappy tensioner in the past and would love to find a permanent replacement for it if I can find one that works.

Last edited:
Back