RadCity vs Haibike Urban Plus?

no doubt the haibikes are much nicer bikes but i have been happy with my rad rover and had very good support from rad

my biggest complaint on the new rad bikes is they did not go hydraulic on the brakes....

you sound like you know what you are wanting out of the bike and that is super important

i myself am a big fan of throttles for a lot of different reasons

good luck in your search!

Cartek-I also like the Raleigh Redux *Court had a nice review on the 2017 model. How do you like the Brose' motor on your bike? Does it get you up to 28mph with little effort or do you have to work at it ? Curious to see how zippy the Brose' is on that bike...
I also like the 48t crank on that bike for speed. My Evo is equipped with that size as well.

I’m really enjoying the 2018 Redux IE, will post a more extensive review when I’ve put more miles on it (Seattle’s been cold, I’ve just taken a couple ~30 mile rides in the past week.) I’d rented a Vado 3.0 a couple times and bought the Redux assuming the Brose motor would feel essentially the same, and that seems to be the case. Nearly silent, and capable of sending me up the steepest hills without making me rise out of the saddle. After each ride I get home feeling like I’ve had a workout- which is exactly what I want. Both friends who’ve taken it for a spin have remarked “it feels just like a regular bike (except for the extra oomph!)” Which, again, is really what I was looking for.

I’ve spent very little time above 25 mph, except when going downhill. I think this is mostly because my focus is on climbing Seattle’s hills without dying ;-) and getting as much range as possible out of the battery. As others have mentioned, the lowest of the 3 assist levels is really pretty meager- I can use it on perfectly flat or downhill stretches- the middle setting is where you really feel the assist. For the most part, I’ve only used the highest setting when going uphill. I rented the Vado in Austin, riding a pretty flat trail, in warmer weather. My experience there was it seemed easy to zip along in the lower/middle twenties, and required some effort to get it past 25 mph. Id guess the Redux will perform similarly.

Sorry for the derail!

i was looking at the Rad bikes, but went with Juiced CCS because of the higher top speed - it's a speed predelec - and the ability to enable torque or cadence sensing. The bike just ticked all the boxes for me at a very reasonable price. Thought they looked cooler than the rad too. I got mine in black.

Last edited:
Another set of test rides yesterday at a different shop (I wanted to ride my mtb there, but somehow the rear tire has gone completely flat and won't hold air - WTH)

Still trying to find a "cheap" hub motor setup to simulate riding a RadCity. The shop didn't carry the $1550 bike they showed online. Their only hub motor was a $3000 setup (emotion evo street), but I still took that for a spin, and then a couple mid-drive Giant bikes.

This was good, as it cemented a major realization for me:
I prefer the "lazy" ability of a throttle. All of the mid-drive, torque sensors are really just like riding a bike, but faster/easier. They still require a workout, which is not what I'm actually looking for. I want a faster, non-sweaty, biking commute. Its funny, though, as I am someone who prefers to be active - we run, hike, rock climb, surf, etc., and I do like biking; I just want to have the ability to not have to push when pedaling up a slight hill, and the mid-drive torque motors aren't meeting that for my needs - they require too much push on the pedals to give full assist, for me. Also, the mid-drives require you to stay on top of your shifting for best performance - just like riding a real bike. If I wanted to get a workout and everything, I would just buy a hybrid city commuter, for like $500, that was a little bit faster than my current mtb and ride a regular bike to work. That's not what I'm looking for in an ebike, I've realized.

The other conflict, is that I love a great deal (who doesn't!?!) - and all of the crazy 50% off deals I've been finding, are mid-drives!

If I was short, I'd grab the Raleigh Sprint IE - one left on their website for $1499, and you can add a boost (throttle) to it. If I could somehow know that the IZIP/Raleigh boost button would be able to adapt to the Haibike Urban Plus, I'd go that route (same TranzX motor, but Haibike may use a different controller? The Haibike does offer shift detection vs the others). If someone wants to buy this bike, they should click-through ActiveJunky.com for another 3% discount (use this link: https://www.activejunky.com/invite/18072 and you get an extra $10 if its your first time - so figure a small frame Sprint IE for $1450 after discounts!) https://raleighelectric.com/sprint-ie

Then I also see a Misceo IE Sport for half off - again, great price, hydraulic brakes, decent components, but mid-drive, no throttle. For anyone else looking: https://www.bikesourceonline.com/product/raleigh-electric-misceo-sport-ie-255681-1.htm

As, you can see, I'm good at finding deals online, but have yet to find one on a bike that will fit my "wants." Missed a quick deal on a Surface 604 Colt http://www.ebikesofne.com/Colt-Surface604-p/colt-surface-604.htm $1539, but now out of stock. That I should have jumped on.

So, I'm now leaning towards the Juiced CrossCurrent S - but, I hate to pay full retail, plus tax (CA). That puts it into the same price range as all of the Haibikes I've been looking at. And those seem like a better bike, although I would prefer the hub motor and throttle. As part of my deal finding knack - I hate paying full price for something ;) and feel that the RadCity and CCS would suit me well, IF I snagged a deal on one - like $200 off or something - lol. Just hard for me to pay the same price for a direct to consumer RadCity/CCS, when the fit and finish of a Haibike is much better! I do enjoy getting a good value for my dollar, but the lack of throttle is preventing me from the Haibikes. I realize that I'm such a sucker for a good deal / value, and that is strongly pulling me towards the Urban Plus. If only it could adapt the boost-throttle!

Just some more insight into my thought process as I figure this thing out. Ironically, I may go full circle and just get the RadCity which is what originally got me looking at ebikes...!

I don't mean to be rude but to find one of those %50 mid drive deals, I did a lot of homework and in the end I could have easily gotten "screwed" by at least $600-1000 because no one bothered to decrease even $50 (When I got in touch with one of the dealers on this forums he wasn't even taking one step back from the 2300+tax of a 2016 xduro cross which I eventually got it from another online store "brand new" for $700 less after tax. The same dealer advertised that bike for $1700 after a month,another one ,a lbs, was trying to sell me a 2016 demo fullnine RC for 3000+tax now 2017 fullnine 6.0 (same components + 500W battery) is sold $2200 Brand New.) .

You should understand that you are lucky and having those really nice deals without even having to worry about it, quite frankly for those prices you can just get a non-electric version of those bikes. I understand wanting throttle but I have to say your range with a throttle may not be much. If you are fit and if you don't want to tire yourself out just put it to the highest assist level and you will have a very comfortable ride.

I’m really enjoying the 2018 Redux IE, will post a more extensive review when I’ve put more miles on it (Seattle’s been cold, I’ve just taken a couple ~30 mile rides in the past week.) I’d rented a Vado 3.0 a couple times and bought the Redux assuming the Brose motor would feel essentially the same, and that seems to be the case. Nearly silent, and capable of sending me up the steepest hills without making me rise out of the saddle. After each ride I get home feeling like I’ve had a workout- which is exactly what I want. Both friends who’ve taken it for a spin have remarked “it feels just like a regular bike (except for the extra oomph!)” Which, again, is really what I was looking for.

I’ve spent very little time above 25 mph, except when going downhill. I think this is mostly because my focus is on climbing Seattle’s hills without dying ;-) and getting as much range as possible out of the battery. As others have mentioned, the lowest of the 3 assist levels is really pretty meager- I can use it on perfectly flat or downhill stretches- the middle setting is where you really feel the assist. For the most part, I’ve only used the highest setting when going uphill. I rented the Vado in Austin, riding a pretty flat trail, in warmer weather. My experience there was it seemed easy to zip along in the lower/middle twenties, and required some effort to get it past 25 mph. Id guess the Redux will perform similarly.

Sorry for the derail!

Cartek-Thanks for your reply. I am finding that anyone with an ebike with a Brose' motor (ie:Bulls, Specialized, Easy Motion etc.) have the same report. 'The bike feels like a regular bike with oomph'. Interestingly, I have tested different bikes with the Bosch speed motor, and some of them perform differently than others (ie: Trek SuperCommutter8 vs Specialized Vado). I think it depends on how the motor was tuned by each mfg.

I don't mean to be rude but to find one of those %50 mid drive deals, I did a lot of homework and in the end I could have easily gotten "screwed" by at least $600-1000 because no one bothered to decrease even $50 (When I got in touch with one of the dealers on this forums he wasn't even taking one step back from the 2300+tax of a 2016 xduro cross which I eventually got it from another online store "brand new" for $700 less after tax. The same dealer advertised that bike for $1700 after a month,another one ,a lbs, was trying to sell me a 2016 demo fullnine RC for 3000+tax now 2017 fullnine 6.0 (same components + 500W battery) is sold $2200 Brand New.) .

You should understand that you are lucky and having those really nice deals without even having to worry about it, quite frankly for those prices you can just get a non-electric version of those bikes. I understand wanting throttle but I have to say your range with a throttle may not be much. If you are fit and if you don't want to tire yourself out just put it to the highest assist level and you will have a very comfortable ride.
Wow this is a total case of 'BUYER BEWARE'! Bait and switch is never fun. Sometimes not a bad idea to check Yelp or the BBB in that state before doing business with them. May give you a little bit more insight as to who they are IMHO...

Another set of test rides yesterday at a different shop (I wanted to ride my mtb there, but somehow the rear tire has gone completely flat and won't hold air - WTH)

Still trying to find a "cheap" hub motor setup to simulate riding a RadCity. The shop didn't carry the $1550 bike they showed online. Their only hub motor was a $3000 setup (emotion evo street), but I still took that for a spin, and then a couple mid-drive Giant bikes.

This was good, as it cemented a major realization for me:
I prefer the "lazy" ability of a throttle. All of the mid-drive, torque sensors are really just like riding a bike, but faster/easier. They still require a workout, which is not what I'm actually looking for. I want a faster, non-sweaty, biking commute. Its funny, though, as I am someone who prefers to be active - we run, hike, rock climb, surf, etc., and I do like biking; I just want to have the ability to not have to push when pedaling up a slight hill, and the mid-drive torque motors aren't meeting that for my needs - they require too much push on the pedals to give full assist, for me. Also, the mid-drives require you to stay on top of your shifting for best performance - just like riding a real bike. If I wanted to get a workout and everything, I would just buy a hybrid city commuter, for like $500, that was a little bit faster than my current mtb and ride a regular bike to work. That's not what I'm looking for in an ebike, I've realized.

The other conflict, is that I love a great deal (who doesn't!?!) - and all of the crazy 50% off deals I've been finding, are mid-drives!

If I was short, I'd grab the Raleigh Sprint IE - one left on their website for $1499, and you can add a boost (throttle) to it. If I could somehow know that the IZIP/Raleigh boost button would be able to adapt to the Haibike Urban Plus, I'd go that route (same TranzX motor, but Haibike may use a different controller? The Haibike does offer shift detection vs the others). If someone wants to buy this bike, they should click-through ActiveJunky.com for another 3% discount (use this link: https://www.activejunky.com/invite/18072 and you get an extra $10 if its your first time - so figure a small frame Sprint IE for $1450 after discounts!) https://raleighelectric.com/sprint-ie

Then I also see a Misceo IE Sport for half off - again, great price, hydraulic brakes, decent components, but mid-drive, no throttle. For anyone else looking: https://www.bikesourceonline.com/product/raleigh-electric-misceo-sport-ie-255681-1.htm

As, you can see, I'm good at finding deals online, but have yet to find one on a bike that will fit my "wants." Missed a quick deal on a Surface 604 Colt http://www.ebikesofne.com/Colt-Surface604-p/colt-surface-604.htm $1539, but now out of stock. That I should have jumped on.

So, I'm now leaning towards the Juiced CrossCurrent S - but, I hate to pay full retail, plus tax (CA). That puts it into the same price range as all of the Haibikes I've been looking at. And those seem like a better bike, although I would prefer the hub motor and throttle. As part of my deal finding knack - I hate paying full price for something ;) and feel that the RadCity and CCS would suit me well, IF I snagged a deal on one - like $200 off or something - lol. Just hard for me to pay the same price for a direct to consumer RadCity/CCS, when the fit and finish of a Haibike is much better! I do enjoy getting a good value for my dollar, but the lack of throttle is preventing me from the Haibikes. I realize that I'm such a sucker for a good deal / value, and that is strongly pulling me towards the Urban Plus. If only it could adapt the boost-throttle!

Just some more insight into my thought process as I figure this thing out. Ironically, I may go full circle and just get the RadCity which is what originally got me looking at ebikes...!

Surfstar-I agree with you on many of your points and your suggestions in your post. Everyone likes a great deal during the winter/spring sales. Can't beat it! Paying retail sucks when there are bargains out there with much better components. I also have issues with Haibikes missing wanted components. Somehow you'll have to mix and match comparisons on those bikes to get close to what you really want in an ebike. The Urban Plus is great, I just wish it had an option to either use COBI or use a traditional center mount display like an Intuvia or something similar.
Not sure if one can be retrofitted or not??

I also like Surface604 as well. Their full Carbon Oryx for 4k is a real beauty of a bike, however, never discounted. Looks like a very solid company for well built ebikes.

Juiced may not be a bad choice considering Tora has made some improvements and looks like his heart is into making a good product. A lot of bike for the $$$ and you can also make mods later if you see fit. I myself like rear hub drives with a TMM4 torque sensor on any ebike. Mid-drives have their place, but for commuting, that is my preference. Love the zippy feeling off the line in any gear from the powerful 350/500 watt motor. :p

I too am considering the Radcity and the Juiced CC so many choices for first ebike. My concern is that I have some unpaved gravel roads to travel as well so tire size and type plays in as well as which would be better in these conditions.

Further complicating things are ST1 S and T available for $2350... (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) after 10% discount and factoring exchange rate. Plus if you call that shop, you can get $300 in accessories (or a 'free' battery upgrade) during this sale.

The Stromer has the ability for a button throttle 'hack'. But then I look at the price delta from an Urban Plus and say that a boost button isn't worth $650; suck it up and just get more exercise while lacking a throttle (internal dialogue) ;)

The CCS ticks all of my boxes, but I have a hard time buying it when for the same $ there are bikes that retailed for over twice the price. Better fit and finish, higher end components, wheels and tires; and likely less problems and/or a local dealer for warranty work.

I am squarely fitting:
"The Paradox of Choice - Why More Is Less is a 2004 book by American psychologist Barry Schwartz. In the book, Schwartz argues that eliminating consumer choices can greatly reduce anxiety for shoppers."

I don't mind this process. It might drive other people crazy - but if I didn't enjoy nit-picking the details I would have just flipped a coin by now :)

Okay, time for a buying update...

I saw a Crazy price on a Haibike Hardnine ($999), and reasoned that I should buy one because: it will be worth at least that much to sell it used within a year or so, and I could use that bike to help guide my final decision through actual ebike ownership with virtually no financial risk (buy new at a used price).
Gave that shop a call, but they didn't have my size (I believe shipping was not included in that price, also).
Started chatting about Stromer prices, as I had become familiar with them in my search. Unfortunately that sweet lime green ST1 S was not available in a 20" frame. They had a killer price on a V1 Elite [2015], though, for $1400 shipped. I almost swayed that way until I asked about any other 20" frames in stock...
2016 Stromer ST1 Platinum, white frame, 2 left in 20"... $1750 or $1875 w/ city kit.
I jumped on one of the last two, for that price, and should have it here in about a week (w/ city kit).
After riding it a bit, I'll be sure to post up my ownership experience. I always heard that most people upgrade pretty quickly, after their first ebike purchase, but I think this one could suit me just fine for a while.

Stromer_St1Platinum_2014_480x480.jpg

Last edited:

I saw a Crazy price on a Haibike Hardnine ($999), and reasoned that I should buy one because: it will be worth at least that much to sell it used within a year or so, and I could use that bike to help guide my final decision through actual ebike ownership with virtually no financial risk (buy new at a used price).
Gave that shop a call, but they didn't have my size (I believe shipping was not included in that price, also).
Started chatting about Stromer prices, as I had become familiar with them in my search. Unfortunately that sweet lime green ST1 S was not available in a 20" frame. They had a killer price on a V1 Elite, though, for $1400 shipped. I almost swayed that way until I asked about any other 20" frames in stock...
2016 Stromer ST1 Platinum, white frame, 2 left in 20"... $1750 or $1875 w/ city kit.
I jumped on one of the last two, for that price, and should have it here in about a week (w/ city kit).
After riding it a bit, I'll be sure to post up my ownership experience. I always heard that most people upgrade pretty quickly, after their first ebike purchase, but I think this one could suit me just fine for a while.

That's a nice bike at a helluva price. Enjoy.

Started chatting about Stromer prices, as I had become familiar with them in my search. Unfortunately that sweet lime green ST1 S was not available in a 20" frame. They had a killer price on a V1 Elite [2015], though, for $1400 shipped. I almost swayed that way until I asked about any other 20" frames in stock...

Surfstar-Looks like your patience and research has finally paid off! Nice grab on the ST1!! This is an awesome bike for the $$$, right up there with the Urban or probably better in some ways. I like that it is a 27mph speed pedelec with rear hub motor. Awesome bike. I am sure you'll keep this one for awhile indeed. Let us know how you like your ride after you have it all dialed in...

Bike arrived yesterday and I had time to put it together today. Since it wasn't a direct to consumer bike company, it wasn't really meant to be put together by the end user, I believe (didn't include all the needed tools, etc). Crazy Lenny's did a great job packing it up and luckily I had the tools I needed on-hand. Mainly a T-25 bit and a 4mm allen wrench (thanks to IKEA - my sets are non-metric, so I was out of luck, until I listened to my wife who said "what about an IKEA wrench?")
Went together pretty easily, just needed to install the handle bar, pedals, front fender and tire. Lenny's installed the rest of the City Kit prior to shipping. Took a min to locate the keys, though, and I got slightly worried! Once found, I wanted to charge the battery while we worked on the bike, so I cracked open the battery door to find...

IMG_20180309_173140700_2.jpg

!!!
I got the 630Wh/16.5Ah blue battery - that is usually a $200 upgrade, I believe. BONUS :) SCORE!

Once it was all together, I took it for a ride around the block, then sorted out my locks so I could ride it down to the climbing gym; which is very similar to the commute I'll be using it for. Our test riding around the neighborhood dropped the battery to 90-92% level. My ride down to the gym, using mostly 'city' or 2of4 power level, dropped it to about 78%. The ride home had more uphill and I was in full power for much of it and also got some time at speeds keeping up with traffic. Awesome to be able to do so w/o much effort. Battery is now down to 66%, with about 14 miles on it today.

IMG_20180309_114439607_2 (1).jpg

Pretty happy with the bike (and super happy with the deal I got), and even if I end up not needing a 'boost/throttle' that often, I do seem to prefer a hub motor to mid drives - otherwise the Urban Plus would have been a nearly as perfect fit too. Its nice that you can be lazy with gear changes at stops and get going easily - I found the hub motors more forgiving with this. Also the regenerative braking is cool to have, and hopefully the direct drive hub will be long lived. It is darn rear-end heavy, though!

Thanks for all the info in the various threads I've scoured and having a sounding board for my process.
Happy riding!

Bike arrived yesterday and I had time to put it together today. Since it wasn't a direct to consumer bike company, it wasn't really meant to be put together by the end user, I believe (didn't include all the needed tools, etc). Crazy Lenny's did a great job packing it up and luckily I had the tools I needed on-hand. Mainly a T-25 bit and a 4mm allen wrench (thanks to IKEA - my sets are non-metric, so I was out of luck, until I listened to my wife who said "what about an IKEA wrench?")
Went together pretty easily, just needed to install the handle bar, pedals, front fender and tire. Lenny's installed the rest of the City Kit prior to shipping. Took a min to locate the keys, though, and I got slightly worried! Once found, I wanted to charge the battery while we worked on the bike, so I cracked open the battery door to find...

View attachment 20278

!!!
I got the 630Wh/16.5Ah blue battery - that is usually a $200 upgrade, I believe. BONUS :) SCORE!

Once it was all together, I took it for a ride around the block, then sorted out my locks so I could ride it down to the climbing gym; which is very similar to the commute I'll be using it for. Our test riding around the neighborhood dropped the battery to 90-92% level. My ride down to the gym, using mostly 'city' or 2of4 power level, dropped it to about 78%. The ride home had more uphill and I was in full power for much of it and also got some time at speeds keeping up with traffic. Awesome to be able to do so w/o much effort. Battery is now down to 66%, with about 14 miles on it today.

View attachment 20279

Pretty happy with the bike (and super happy with the deal I got), and even if I end up not needing a 'boost/throttle' that often, I do seem to prefer a hub motor to mid drives - otherwise the Urban Plus would have been a nearly as perfect fit too. Its nice that you can be lazy with gear changes at stops and get going easily - I found the hub motors more forgiving with this. Also the regenerative braking is cool to have, and hopefully the direct drive hub will be long lived. It is darn rear-end heavy, though!

Thanks for all the info in the various threads I've scoured and having a sounding board for my process.
Happy riding!

Surfstar-Thanks for the follow-up! Looks like a beauty and you scored big time on that deal. Great place to shop too! Looks like the 'Cadillac' of ebikes and probably rides like one. Not as much battery anxiety either. If this is for commuting, the rear hub is the way to go.

I would think starting off (at a complete stop) in the highest level of assist would simulate some of the missing throttle boost. I have a throttle on my EM and it works fine for me without ever the need to use the throttle. Congrats and enjoy your new ride!

Thanks to everyone on this thread, for some reason information is really slim on the Haibike Urban Plus still. Been out for 2 plus years and the reviews are slim and this forum thread and one other (link here) is the best information I can find. I'm seriously considering a Haibike Urban Plus with the price cut in play. It would be much appreciated if folks who have purchased this bike can share pros, cons and any other thoughts they have.

Further complicating things are ST1 S and T available for $2350... (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) after 10% discount and factoring exchange rate. Plus if you call that shop, you can get $300 in accessories (or a 'free' battery upgrade) during this sale.

The Stromer has the ability for a button throttle 'hack'. But then I look at the price delta from an Urban Plus and say that a boost button isn't worth $650; suck it up and just get more exercise while lacking a throttle (internal dialogue) ;)

The CCS ticks all of my boxes, but I have a hard time buying it when for the same $ there are bikes that retailed for over twice the price. Better fit and finish, higher end components, wheels and tires; and likely less problems and/or a local dealer for warranty work.

I am squarely fitting:
"The Paradox of Choice - Why More Is Less is a 2004 book by American psychologist Barry Schwartz. In the book, Schwartz argues that eliminating consumer choices can greatly reduce anxiety for shoppers."

I don't mind this process. It might drive other people crazy - but if I didn't enjoy nit-picking the details I would have just flipped a coin by now :)

All you need is a Body float suspension seatpost and it will really make a huge difference in the ride quality.
Then you could keep the rear tire at 45PSI and avoid flats and yet get very comfortable ride.

View attachment 20278

!!!

View attachment 20279

Happy riding!

surfstar-Just curious if they gave you the Supernova lighting in the city kit. I see they are priced at approx $350-450.00 US.

Back