Rad City top speed after adjustment?

Brock

I have had the Rad City for about a year now and it has been great. I did the top speed adjustment about a month after I had it and that was great. The thing I wonder is often when I am riding now I will be at the 750 watts to get up to speed but as I pass 20 mph the wattage tapers off. Am I correct that at about 25 mph there just isn't enough voltage in the pack to push the motor any faster? Or is this a limitation of the stock controller? I am regularly riding about 24-25 mph and 100 or less watts in PAS 5.

Correct, there isn't enough voltage in the stock 48V battery to get you going much faster... the way the stock controller works is that once you are past the limit on speed, 20-24 MPH, the motor won't assist anymore until you get back below the limit.

I have had the Rad City for about a year now and it has been great. I did the top speed adjustment about a month after I had it and that was great. The thing I wonder is often when I am riding now I will be at the 750 watts to get up to speed but as I pass 20 mph the wattage tapers off. Am I correct that at about 25 mph there just isn't enough voltage in the pack to push the motor any faster? Or is this a limitation of the stock controller? I am regularly riding about 24-25 mph and 100 or less watts in PAS 5.

Consider that one of the reasons Mr. Bolton's kit is so popular is that the speed restriction is no longer in place, unless you want one.

That fact tells me there is definitely a built in restriction in the OEM controller.

In PAS 5 with that kit installed, you could have 6 or 700 watts in play, or more with the throttle. You WILL have some say in the matter, depending on how you set it up.

I don't know how fast a 'City will go with Bolton's kit. Never tried. I would have a tendency to believe it would be about how fast you can peddle?

That is sort of what I was wonder, if the stock controller was limiting the top speed or voltage to the motor and if the Bolton controller would allow a higher voltage to the motor. From what I have seen and read the Bolton controller lets more wattage (amperage) through to the motor, but most people say the top speed is the same. If that is the case I am fine with the stock controller. Then maybe the option would be a 52v battery, but I am not sure it would be worth it cost wise for 2-4 mph top end increase, at least not until I need a new battery and at that point I will likely need a new bike as well :)

Doing the same thing here, waiting for my '17 OEM battery to screw up. We'll check our options then. If 52v is still king, we'll figure out just what the most effective way to go is at that point. Not going to get hung up on what's going on today.

I’m looking to buy a Rad City 4 , what is your feedback on torque and acceleration? It is slow? Can you start from a full stop just using the throttle? What was your range just using throttle?
Thanks

The Rad City has 40 lbs of torque, where the Rover has 80lbs, so twice as much. You can easily start from a stop using only the throttle on the City even on a slight incline, it is nice to get you going. Having a 672wh battery, if you were going all out you would get about 1 hour, but even all out you won't use 750 watts all the time, so I would guess 90 minutes of full throttle or 30 miles? I can easily run 40 miles at 20mph and the battery isn't "dead" at that point, but when it gets down to 2 bars I charge it up.

To me the big advantage is the lack of motor noise on the city, there is none at all with the gearless hub motor, but that is also why is has half the torque of the Rovers geared hub motor. Although it is pretty darn quiet as well, the mid drive bikes seem to be the loudest.

The only disadvantage is the overall height of the City, the pedals and seat and handlebars all all higher than a "normal" bike, this is good when riding the bike, it would be very had to hit a pedal in a turn, and you are higher, but getting on and off is a bit more difficult, if I had to do it again I would have gotten a step through, not for me, but my for my wife and daughters that often borrow my bike.

Back