R1up 700 500 watt motor vs 1000

Bgsnmky

I am deciding between Rad bikes (all of them LOL..Rover ST, Mini ST, City ST). after I researched.

I thikn i knocked otu the R1 700 due to the 500 motor vs 750. BUt I keep seeing people state the bike has higher end components (hydraulic brakes etc). Can someone explain the
Powerful 800W (peak) 500W (sustained) geared motor with 56nm torque? what hte 500 vs teh 800 means? and the impact vs the Rad's 750.

I love the videos.

Also the tires on the R1 didn't seem like they would go on trails etc.
I am looking at 80% cement / gravel/ packed ground, but when I want to go on a trail - I don't want to worry about it.

I am trying to decide if i should be relooking at the R1 700

I have read that Rad often exagerates the power of their motors. That other companies said a motor was 500/ 750 peak and rad advertised it as 750. I found some independent tests of various bafang and other chinese e bike motors on line. I think there are several factors to take into account related to bike performance besides hp. For trails I would think an Espin Nero would be more of a trail bike with 500/1000 motor and 4 inch tires. The 700 seems like more of a commuter bike/ road bike to me

I am deciding between Rad bikes (all of them LOL..Rover ST, Mini ST, City ST). after I researched.

I thikn i knocked otu the R1 700 due to the 500 motor vs 750. BUt I keep seeing people state the bike has higher end components (hydraulic brakes etc). Can someone explain the
Powerful 800W (peak) 500W (sustained) geared motor with 56nm torque? what hte 500 vs teh 800 means? and the impact vs the Rad's 750.

I love the videos.

Also the tires on the R1 didn't seem like they would go on trails etc.
I am looking at 80% cement / gravel/ packed ground, but when I want to go on a trail - I don't want to worry about it.

I am trying to decide if i should be relooking at the R1 700
Paper specs are worthless as they are easily and often manipulated. You have to ride them to know the true power and acceleration, smoothness or hill climbing differences. You are not really doing yourself any favors with that type of research and attempting an evaluation process that is quite likely to risk a mediocre result at best.

And worst part is you won't know it, bc the one that arrives at your door, will be the only one you've ridden unless you found the same models you want to buy via a friend or someone who let you ride theirs before pushing the Buy Now button with your cursor.

Most Ebikes feel like a sugar rush to a newbie and so these on line bought Ebikes are often raved about by those who have done no real comparison riding of others before the one they got and are happy with or even brag about here.

As they often say , ignorance is bliss. ;)

I've had customers try several at my shop, and then admit that after riding one elsewhere, said 'glad I came here, bc I thought all 500 watt ebikes would have felt the same.'. They'd say they even checked the torque specs etc, and a couple would have show up with stacks of paper on various ebike models along with them in a folder like people who used to do that when car buying early in the days of internet shopping. Felt they were armed to the teeth with valuable concrete information. Consumer report articles, edmunds you name it. With Ebikes specs all those bets are off the table. It's buyer beware in spades. You have to ride them before you buy them. Use the internet to narrow down on looks and relative superficial information to hone on the style you prefer. After that, get in your car and go find a bunch to ride. Even if you have to drive hours to do so it will be worth every penny.

My classic favorite ebike shopping story was when a friend came along with the would be ebike buyer as his 'coach' helping him find the right ebike, and keeping the 'shop owner honest.' Lol.

He had bought a Rad Rover and was quite proud to say so, spouting off specs left and right. So they are going thru the shop and the buyer is eating up his every word. 'stay away from this one, don't go with that one.' 'you need these specs.'

So the would be buyer finds a fat tire one he likes the looks of, and a quick sit on shows it to be a fit. and we go outside for the usual demo.

The friend says ' let me try it first.' the would be buyer obliges. Friend Goes out riding and then comes back, and his face looks a shade of beet red. One word comes out of his mouth - 4 letter one. The buyer goes' whats wrong ?' Friend says 'nothing with the bike. It's awesome.'

'except I bought the wrong f****** ebike.'

Then he asked if I take trades.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paper specs are worthless as they are easily and often manipulated. You have to ride them to know the true power and acceleration, smoothness or hill climbing differences. You are not really doing yourself any favors with that type of research and attempting an evaluation process that is quite likely to risk a mediocre result at best.

And worst part is you won't know it, bc the one that arrives at your door, will be the only one you've ridden unless you found the same models you want to buy via a friend or someone who let you ride theirs before pushing the Buy Now button with your cursor.

Most Ebikes feel like a sugar rush to a newbie and so these on line bought Ebikes are often raved about by those who have done no real comparison riding of others before the one they got and are happy with or even brag about here.

As they often say , ignorance is bliss. ;)

I've had customers try several at my shop, and then admit that after riding one elsewhere, said 'glad I came here, bc I thought all 500 watt ebikes would have felt the same.'
Haha. Agreed. It is just hard to ride them as they aren’t available to ride. I am trying tho. Example I rode the rad city yesterday. I am going to be able to ride the rover in about a week. I will be able to ride the muni in about a week as well as friends have these all ready to arrive.
I wish I could ride the r1 700.
But how will the 709 so in dirt and beach etc.

Back