Questions about first e-bike purchase

darksky

Region
USA
I posted this in another area of the forum and was advised to post it here in the Pedego owners forum. Question #1 below has been answered to some extent. Appreciate any advice and opinions. Thanks.

My wife and I are considering getting a pair of E-bikes. She had a below the knee amputation a few months ago and will be getting her prosthetic leg in a couple of weeks, so we have some time over the next few months to decide on bikes. She doesn't want to try to ride her "men's" style bike any longer so we're both thinking of getting step through cruiser style E-bikes.

I've been doing a lot of online research and a bike that stands out to us is the Pedego Interceptor. There is a local store which I plan on visiting soon. I like the idea of a local store so if there are any issues they can deal with it. I also plan to visit a couple of other local bike stores to see what they have.

In the meantime, I have some questions from other Pedego Interceptor owners.
1. Is the LCD display screen removable when transporting or parking the bikes in a public place? With our current standard style bikes I usually remove the seats and the odometer while they're being transported.
2. If I'm transporting the bikes on a car mounted bike rack and it rains, is this a problem with E-bikes?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Welcome. A Pedigo owner will jump in, Im sure. Meanwhile there are many threads about rain and ebikes,
A good start. The search will turn up more.

Hi Darsky, happy you want to become an electrocyclist!

The LCD display on the Interceptors is fixed with hex screws to the bike. Thieves would need to carry the right size Allen key to steal it. There is no Pedego LCD black market that I know of, thief can't make a quick buck reselling it.

However, its a good habit you have to remove the seat if the bikes are left unattended, as the Interceptor have a really nice comfy seat with a suspension post. It is compatible with a number of other bikes, so it could be more interesting for a thief.

An accessory lock can be used to secure it to the bike.

For the rain, the info on the link that Art Deco posted are good. The Interceptor have an alumnium alloy frame, so rust aint an issue. The chain need to be oiled and cared for the same way as your traditional bike. The Interceptor have disc brakes, so never spray lubricant, it could get on the disc. Use lubricant or oil that can be applied one drop at a time.

There is actually a promotion on the Platinum Interceptors, so its a good time to go try them!
Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 2.20.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 2.20.48 PM.png

I have 3 Platinum Interceptors for family & friends.
Regarding your questions: As mentioned above by Remi, the Pedego display is difficult to remove. It is weatherproof however and not a target for thieves. I transport my bikes in exposed racks and have driven through some heavy rainstorms over 3 seasons so far with no issues at all.

Removing the battery & seat are always a good idea to minimize weight as well as the theft risk. The battery terminals are located inside the battery case and are protected from the weather. When removing the seat, it is also a good idea to cover the top of the seat tube to keep out moisture & debris. I use this simple, snug fitting vinyl cap:

P1070169a.jpg P1070173a (1).jpg

BTW, Welcome to the forum!
IMO, you can't go wrong with Pedego. Their warranty & service programs are second to none with a dealer network across the entire US.
The Interceptor is a class 2 bike with a throttle which your wife may find useful. It also comes in a step thru model.

Original poster here with an update. Went to the local Pedego store and looked at both the Interceptor and the Boomerang. My wife and I are now convinced the Boomerang would be much better for us with the low step-through design. I took one for a test drive around a large empty parking lot and it was AMAZING! I wasn't expecting it to be so quick and smooth. I'm definitely hooked!

I took one for a test drive around a large empty parking lot and it was AMAZING! I wasn't expecting it to be so quick and smooth. I'm definitely hooked!
Glad you like the Boomerang! But I am not surprised! It is indeed a great bike. You will have fun and enjoy it for many years, and in the eventuality later on you want to upgrade to a Platinum Edition, you will get a nice trade-in value.

Another question as I consider e-bikes for me and my wife. Any opinion about the thumb throttle accessory? I only had a short test ride around the parking lot and wondering if the thumb throttle allows a better control of the throttle.

Another question as I consider e-bikes for me and my wife. Any opinion about the thumb throttle accessory? I only had a short test ride around the parking lot and wondering if the thumb throttle allows a better control of the throttle.
I think this will depend on how much you plan on using your throttle. The thumb style is good for short periods of use but I find I get fatigue & cramps after prolonged usage. Overall, I prefer a twist throttle which can be used with a cruise control device if desired. This of course is just my opinion and I'm sure others will differ.

I think this will depend on how much you plan on using your throttle. The thumb style is good for short periods of use but I find I get fatigue & cramps after prolonged usage. Overall, I prefer a twist throttle which can be used with a cruise control device if desired. This of course is just my opinion and I'm sure others will differ.
Point well taken. I held my hand out with thumb extended as it would be with a throttle and yes I can see how it likely would lead to fatigue and cramps and not even after "prolonged" use. Thanks for your advice/opinion.

You can also buy a large range of motorcycle-style grip paddles (often generically called Crampbusters) that do the same thing as the thumb accessory from pedego but with the heel of the palm.. Just have to find one close to the right diameter, and then perhaps add a little rubber strip to fill any difference in diameter.

And as a more complicated option for the sake of ultimate accessibility, some folks have been known to use a left horizontal-sweep thumb throttle on the right (reversed) as a index finger trigger throttle. You could do the same thing with a right side horizontal sweep throttle mounted reversed on the left side. Those options would require someone to wire them in however, so that is not a plug and play solution. Just another option for those who need a little advanced accessibility assistance, or perhaps those with moderate to severe arthritis.

Hello there! I just bought a Pedego City Commuter. I love it. I tried the Boomerang also and it was very comfortable and able to step through very easy. As for the throttle I liked the twist better than the finger. I'm certain Darsky your wife will love it as I had knee and hip surgery and thought I would never ride a bike again, but this is wonderful.

As a followup... I recently took my bike in to get the upgraded pedals and asked the bike mechanic about the thumb throttle. He said "let's put one on and you give it a try, if you don't like it we'll remove it". I liked it and now 30 miles later I still like it! I don't use the throttle much but when I do I feel it gives me better control.

I only rode a bike with a throttle once and it was a twist type. Yes, I twisted it by accident while walking the bike and it wheelied right out from under my grip. Thumb throttles are safer for occasional use by clutzy people like me.

Back