questions about battery replacement for considering first Ebike

AGuy

I am interested in buying an Ebike with integrated frame battery. The only problem I see is that the battery replacements are expensive. Since I know I would need a replacement at some point, I want to know if it's possible to replace those batteries with aftermarket batteries without going with the original manufacturer/seller and if so, how difficult is to retrofit those into the integrated frame.

Provided the BMS isn't shot it's possible to pay a 3rd party company to repack with new cells eg https://ebikemarketplace.com/

When I bought my BBS01 kit motor that runs on any 36v battery I chose a generic Sondors 36v bottle battery pack with the thinking they were selling so many ebikes at the time there would be replacements available in the future, and 4 years on replacement battery packs that fit my battery cradle are available from two vendors here in the US. Sometimes it pays to follow the crowd. There are threads here on EBR from other owners with frame integrated Reention brand battery packs that have had success buying replacements from other vendors or direct from Chinese sellers. I like the EM3EV battery packs, the shop I bought the motor from imports and sells them so when the time comes I'd be tempted to replace my battery cradle as well and crimp on Anderson Connectors. They're twice the price but twice the capacity so will depend if I feel I want the extra range between recharging.

The problem I see going forward is that most of the integrated, at least fully integrated, batteries are under some proprietary restrictions by the motor systems manufacturers. So in order for other vendors to fit your bikes system it either has to license or crack that as it is just not as simple as hooking red to red and black to black.

So if a manufacturer makes batteries that fit say the 2018-2022 model years before they come up with later and greater tech, but make a bunch of extra's for warranty and replacement sales in the future, in say 2024 when your battery gives out, out of warranty, you will be buying a battery that has been sitting on a shelf for at least two years and unless the company has a way to keep it at a 60% state of charge over that time, well who knows....time will tell.

One thing to consider is that most of the big players are gradually shifting over to the 2170 cells, at least in their higher end bikes starting a few years ago with much fanfare, and I see this trend trickling down into the lower tier in the next few years. Not saying 18650 cells are bad but the wh wars going on is pretty simply the exchange between the two as the same amount of 2170 cells can up the wh rating over 100wh's in a 36v battery.

Reention batteries have become a pretty popular standard for "integrated" batteries. Nobody has a crystal ball, but they should be available as a standardized component down the road for quite a while. Many different manf's now using them. I think they look WAY better than some of the batteries that look like a second thought.

My battery looks like a home project, hangs over the front. I built the mount out of aluminum angle & screws. Nobody recognizes it, nobody steals it when I cable the bike up on the street or in a parking lot. Cost $.75 a watthour too, as compared with brand specific batteries that are a lot more expensive from the OEM. In 2 years or so when it wears out, another generic battery should be the same price or cheaper. Looking stylish has a high cost. Style will send a lot of functional ebikes to the landfill after 4 to 6 years, as replacement batteries are rediculously priced.
You can see the controller mounted under the seat, and if you look closely you can see wires strapped to the frame tubes. shame shame! I've already got 6000 miles on the conversion, and may get 20000 miles before the pedal bearing or crank unavailability force a frame replacement. I've already changed out a hubmotor that wore out the gears at 4500 miles. Took 2 afternoons, 1 afternoon to make a mount for the new different controller that the wires wouldn't reach under the seat.
I had to scrap a pacific Quantum MTB at 4000 miles because the plastic cranks were worn out & I couldn't get them off to replace them, even though I had an identical bike with good cranks I picked up for $15. Fill up those containers from *****, fill up the landfills, there is plenty more where that came from.

Last edited:
Reention batteries have become a pretty popular standard for "integrated" batteries. Nobody has a crystal ball, but they should be available as a standardized component down the road for quite a while. Many different manf's now using them. I think they look WAY better than some of the batteries that look like a second thought.
Do you have an option about el dorado batteries? The bike I am thinking of comes with those. The rep told me the cells can be either samsung, sanyo or LG. It is an integrated frame battery pack for the juggernaut duo 750w 480v 17ah. Biktrix has the battery replacements for quite expensive in their website, that is why I am asking because when the time comes to change I don't want them to be my only option.

Last edited:
I think Biktrix is pretty proud of their batteries too. My point was I'm fairly sure there will be other options when it comes to this type battery....

For cell manf. options, and different Ah capacities, thinking you'd pretty much need to talk to whoever you were buying from? And when looking down the road 3-5 years, don't overlook the fact that you may not want the cells currently in use. You may want something that comes out between now and then (bigger, better, faster!)....

Back