Question: Front Tire and Seatpost security for RCS...

NeilCruz

I am trying to order some gear to help secure my RCS that is arriving shortly. I did a lot of research and video watching (see research notes at the bottom) to come up with a possible system:

Here is what I am working with so far:
  • 3/8" security chain (either a pewag or Laclede with Rockwell hardness of at least 62) + Lock
  • An Abus 6500 folding lock (short term security or additional with the chain)
  • TBD/(This Post): Some kind of locking system for the seatpost, maybe front wheel, and maybe also the computer...

I really don't want to carry even more weight for securing the Front tire quick release + the seat post quick release.

So I was looking for ways to secure the quick releases, and maybe also the computer.

After a bit of digging it would seem that Pitlock is the "gold" standing for thing like Locking skewers - BUT I'm not sure if their products work with FatTire bikes (see below for 5mm vs 9mm )

From my dialogs with Juiced Bikes, it would seem that the front Tire RCS:
  1. Uses a skewer not a through axel
  2. 9mm width quick release skewer (which seems to be a non-standard thickness?)
  3. 135mm between the drop out? (not sure if that is inside or outside width)

If 9mm is the thickness of the skewer then I don't think PitLocks will work since their skewers seem to be 5mm. I just recently found HexLock but their quick-release skewer replacements also seem to be 5mm not 9mm (https://hexlox.com/products/hexlox-security-bike-skewer?variant=44912435786).

135mm width for a skewer seems to most closely match classic MTB REAR tire dropout width (of 130mm) but 5mm might be significant.

So that leads me to my question for the forum here:
  1. What is the skewer dimensions on the RCS (see this link for measuring width https://urbanbiketech.myshopify.com/pages/will-pitlock-fit-my-bike)
  2. Do the front skewers seem to be think 9mm as indicated to me by Juiced support?
  3. Have others already resolved securing the front FAT tire wheel (other than an additional lock )?
    Locking nuts,
    FatTire skewer?
    Through Axel replacement (changing forks seems extreme just to secure the wheel)
    etc?
  4. What are people using to secure the seat/post
    - and will it work if you add a suspension seatpost?
  5. Does the seatpost and or front tire security extend to securing other things?
  6. Is the Front Tire and Seatpost the only places there is a quick release on the RCS?

FYI:

Chain and Lock -​
(Make sure to add the "nylon chafe sleeve")​

Research Notes:
I first learned about Rockwell Hardness scale and Pewag from a watching a series of "Lock vs bolt cutter" videos from Wayne Winton on YouTube.​
(I used this link, also from WesTech, for finding "Hardness" https://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhs...63.1138127369.1524869299-585280531.1524869299)​
I also used the "Lock Picking Lawyer" youtube as a resource for evaluating locks and also some of the bike security devices.​

Extrapolating from all of the "Lock vs Bolt cutter" and "Lock vs Freeze attack" and similar is how I came up with requirement for "security chain with a hardness of 62 or greater" +chain lock + the folding lock.
(Note - I have also been considering tigrlock.com Mini or Mini+ instead of the folding lock - but I am not sure about the available space inside the triangle for carrying it so will need to wait until after the bike arrives)​

Also note: There is a similar pewag offering on Amazon that seems to be the same chain+lock but is branded "Vulcan"..​

I hope others find my research / results helpful and I look forward to being able to share lessons learned soon-ish.

Disclaimer:
I don't work for any of these companies, and I only started riding a bike again in the last few months.

A regular, non-thru-axle front skewer is called 9mm, but the skewer itself measures 5mm in diameter. The 9mm refers to the diameter of the axle itself. The 135mm is an inside measurement between the dropouts. I have not purchased any security devices, but I would use Hexlox.

I own hexlox and have been satisfied with them. Just be VERY careful that you're using steel bolts. I found I could remove the locks with a regular hex wrench because the hex screw was not steel.

Hexlox are a bit pricey for what they are but maybe there's nothing as good for less.

Nova - Thank you for the info, I was thinking that the heavier bike might have a thicker skewer (to explain the 9mm vs 5mm).

https://urbanbiketech.myshopify.com/pages/will-pitlock-fit-my-bike shows measuring from the outside - so if Juiced tells me 135 -- and that is the inside, a locking skewer would need to be closer to 140-145?

Asher,

when you say "be very careful that you're using steel bolts" -- you are referring to placing Hexlox into a bolt that is non-metallic, yes? ..
Or were you saying that the RCS front tire Skewer should be made of steel vs aluminum for strength?

Thanks!

-Cruz

Nova - Thank you for the info, I was thinking that the heavier bike might have a thicker skewer (to explain the 9mm vs 5mm).

https://urbanbiketech.myshopify.com/pages/will-pitlock-fit-my-bike shows measuring from the outside - so if Juiced tells me 135 -- and that is the inside, a locking skewer would need to be closer to 140-145?

Asher,

when you say "be very careful that you're using steel bolts" -- you are referring to placing Hexlox into a bolt that is non-metallic, yes? ..
Or were you saying that the RCS front tire Skewer should be made of steel vs aluminum for strength?

Thanks!

-Cruz

Hexlox work on the principle that the magnetic force towards the hex screw is stronger than the force towards anything that touches the top of the hex screw. But when you put a piece of steel (like a hex wrench) on the top of the hex screw, and the hex screw itself is not steel, then the steel sucks off the hexlock, defeating it - the steel hex wrench has more magnetic force than the non steel hex screw. It's like having a lock on your front door that can be opened by any metal key. So you need steel hex screws to make it work. I went to a hardware store this weekend and replaced 1 of 2 hex screws on my bike (the other one was in a size the store didn't have). Hexlox also sells steel screws.

Was there any resolution to this? I am looking for locking skewers and SP lock for my CCX en route.

Back